Symphonic Album Mini-Game: Round 2, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Axver

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • liamcool

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first heat of the second round of the Symphonic Album Mini-Game. The object of this game is to see which forum member can create the best concept album no longer than 80 minutes.

The first round is complete. The results of the last three heats were: LemonMelon over CuteIrishBono, 8-4; phanan and Irishteen finishing in a 6-6 tie; and Lemonchick easily beating COBL_04, 11-1. Here's our standings after Round 1:

Group 1

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference
Screwtape2: 3, 1, 0, 0, 9, 6, +3.
corianderstem: 3, 1, 0, 0, 8, 5, +3.
liamcool: 1, 0, 1, 0, 5, 8, -3
Supertracklist: 1, 0, 1, 0, 6, 9, -3
Axver: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.

Group 2

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference
LemonMelon: 3, 1, 0, 0, 8, 4, +4.
CuteIrishBono: 0, 0, 1, 0, 4, 8, -4.
LemonMacPhisto: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.
namckuR: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.
phillyfan26: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.

Group 3

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
Lemonchick: 3, 1, 0, 0, 11, 1, +10.
Irishteen: 2, 0, 0, 1, 6, 6, 0.
phanan: 2, 0, 0, 1, 6, 6, 0.
COBL_04: 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 11, -10.
Lancemc: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.

For the first heat in Round 2, we have a battle between two progsters, as Axver squares off against liamcool. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Axver

pic

Life In One Chord

The harsh Cold War reality has been replaced by the fearful and corrupt War On Terror reality. In a bleak world of monotonous life in a rundown post-Soviet city, one man pours his soul into his guitar to avoid being trampled down and forgotten. It leads him into conflict: with the obstinate music industry, with the attitudes of friends and lovers, with the pressures of travel. But most importantly, it leads to conflict with the monolithic and monotonous reality and to a discovery of hope.

Headphones are recommended for best effect. Cover credit goes to LemonMacPhisto.

1. Pelican - "Dead Between The Walls" - City Of Echoes (5:05)
2. U2 - "The Fly" - Achtung Baby (4:29)
3. Porcupine Tree - "This Is No Rehearsal" - Stupid Dream (3:26)
4. Joy Division - "Transmission" - Heart And Soul (3:37)
5. The Clear - "The Television Love Song" - The Clear EP (3:30)
6. Bailter Space - "Projects" - Vortura (5:07)
7. Straitjacket Fits - "Life In One Chord" - Hail (3:10)
8. REM - "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?" - Monster (4:00)
9. The Chills - "Soft Bomb" - Soft Bomb (3:12)
10. Pink Floyd - "Have A Cigar" - Wish You Were Here (5:08)
11. Low - "When I Go Deaf" - The Great Destroyer (4:41)
12. Scorched Earth Policy - "Mekong Delta Blues" - Keep Away From The Wires (5:12)
13. The Triffids - "Wide Open Road" - Born Sandy Devotional (4:08)
14. Long Distance Calling - "Fire In The Mountain" - DMNSTRTN (7:37)
15. The Verve - "This Is Music" - A Northern Soul (3:35)
16. Blackfield - "Open Mind" - Blackfield (3:50)
17. Dream Theater - "Take The Time" - Images And Words (8:21)

Runtime: 78:08

Forum name: liamcool

1) Opeth - "Benighted" - Still Life (5:00)
2) The Cure - "The Kiss" - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me (6:14)
3) Genesis - "The Battle Of Epping Forest" - Selling England By The Pound (11:46)
4) The Glove - "Relax" - Blue Sunshine (6:04)
5) Dream Theater - "These Walls" - Octavarium (7:35)
6) Rush - "The Pass" - Presto (4:50)
7) Ultravox - "Cut And Run" - Quartet (4:18)
8) Camel - "Never Let Go" - Camel (6:25)
9) The Sisters Of Mercy - "Alice" - Some Girls Wander By Mistake (3:34)
10) Marillion - "Chelsea Monday" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:17)

UP NEXT: corianderstem vs. The Supertracklist

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Ouch. Liamcool had a great list, but I've got to go with Axver here. Lots of variety on his.

To be fair, I'd better listen to these both again -- I've only had the chance to hear liamcool's once so far. On first listen, these two lists were pretty close in quality for me.

Screwtape2 said:
He really conveys that cynical and industrial environment. :up:

I'm glad you think so - going for a narrow, suffocating kind of atmosphere was certainly a deviation from the norm for me.

I'll go for Axver's list. Overall, it's very strong and a nice listening experience. Besides the Pelican and Bailter Space, I liked everything on the list.

liamcool's is also pretty good. I liked almost everything on that list. Most of it is new music to me, so chances are I'll like it even more as I get to know it better.

Liam's is definitely a good tracklist, one of my favourites. I obviously still went for myself, but this was one of the rare times when I hesitated just a little. I like pretty much everything he's got, especially the opening duo and closing trio.

I was wondering how the Pelican track would go down, as it was a very last minute addition. However, I really wanted something noisy and suffocating to create an impression before The Fly and This Is No Rehearsal, and more people than just fans of my usual stuff have expressed positive thoughts about Pelican, so I threw it in. The Bailter Space song is one of their heavier tracks - they are essentially noise rock meets shoegazer, and are one of the more well-known Kiwi bands overseas (they're even based in New York nowadays). I imagine fans of My Bloody Valentine, Ride, and Slowdive would enjoy some of their other stuff, like the Robot World album.

I enjoyed Axver's list thoroughly. I don't know where that reputation comes from. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom