Switchfoot? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:08 PM

Old 03-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Does anyone here like Brian Eno?
We could still save this thread.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
Does anyone here like Brian Eno?
We could still save this thread.
that's too much!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:53 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

you know i read your list in the top 15 thread and, with the exception of htdaab, it's really quite good. so good that i wonder if you're the same aeon that made this thread and posted the above comments. it's like you're a musical dr. jekyll and mr. hyde.

and, you're right. switchfoot aren't nearly as bad as we're saying. they're much, MUCH worse.
Please do not mistake me for a Switchfoot fan. I started this thread to get some feedback. Three weeks ago, I never heard of them. I downloaded some songs I have found their stuff pretty good. Not the best of all time, but pretty good. I did a little research on them and they were compared to U2 because of the Christian background and the "crossover" success.

Believe it or not, I'm quite picky when it comes to music. In fact, I never listen to the radio. Only CD's or news (thats how much modern music sucks). There are few newer bands I think have some potential. I really think The Killers can really make a big impact if they don't let the hye get to their head. I thought The Strokes could be great until their latest album.

BTW - I've never seen one episode of Survivor. I like the shows House, 24, and Lost and that's about it. And gorrillaz is still pure, unadulterated ASS. I can't stand gimicks. Just a pet peave of mine.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:12 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:08 PM
yes, i've heard the problem with gimmicks from the uptight turds who thought u2 went "all electronica on us pure fans who want them to be as good as the police".

the only gimmick is their image.

the music kicks ass.

u2 has always had gimmicks. most of them were pretty cool, until they threw in the towel.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:08 AM
I don't think of the fact that they appear as cartoons as a gimmick as much as I think it's innovative.

And as zoomazoomzoom said, the music really does kick ass. Listen to Demon Days front to back and tell me they're not a very special, unique group. Even if you don't like their style/image/music, you have to admit they're doing more for the music industry than Switchfoot
Old 03-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
Even if you don't like their style/image/music, you have to admit they're doing more for the music industry than Switchfoot
I really don't judge a band by their ability to "do something" for the music industry. If that were so, I would be an Eminem, P-Diddy, N' Sync, Mariah Carie fan.

For me, it all comes down to whether or not I like the music. I can't say I like gorrilaz music...or their freaky looking cartoon avatars.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #53
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Please do not mistake me for a Switchfoot fan. I started this thread to get some feedback. Three weeks ago, I never heard of them. I downloaded some songs I have found their stuff pretty good. Not the best of all time, but pretty good. I did a little research on them and they were compared to U2 because of the Christian background and the "crossover" success.

Believe it or not, I'm quite picky when it comes to music. In fact, I never listen to the radio. Only CD's or news (thats how much modern music sucks). There are few newer bands I think have some potential. I really think The Killers can really make a big impact if they don't let the hye get to their head. I thought The Strokes could be great until their latest album.

BTW - I've never seen one episode of Survivor. I like the shows House, 24, and Lost and that's about it. And gorrillaz is still pure, unadulterated ASS. I can't stand gimicks. Just a pet peave of mine.

Nothing wrong with liking Switchfoot. You heard something that you liked and latched on to it... be it potential that you saw in the band or its something in their music you're into (be it the meoldy, the themes they're singing about, or the style)...

Opinions are like assholes, y'know...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #54
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
I don't think of the fact that they appear as cartoons as a gimmick as much as I think it's innovative.

And as zoomazoomzoom said, the music really does kick ass. Listen to Demon Days front to back and tell me they're not a very special, unique group. Even if you don't like their style/image/music, you have to admit they're doing more for the music industry than Switchfoot

What are the Gorillaz doing for the music industry more than Switchfoot?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #55
New Yorker

I have doubts that mentioning Brian Eno can save any thread or give a thread or someone's musical tastes any credibility... but here's a pic anyways to see if anything happens...

Old 03-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

For good measure

Old 03-14-2006, 03:31 AM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

What are the Gorillaz doing for the music industry more than Switchfoot?
Putting out a sound that's fresh and unique.

We need more of it.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:55 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

Nothing wrong with liking Switchfoot. You heard something that you liked and latched on to it... be it potential that you saw in the band or its something in their music you're into (be it the meoldy, the themes they're singing about, or the style)...

Opinions are like assholes, y'know...
Well said.

AEON--Bold

Nminor--Maybe slightly nuts.

Snobbery is, sadly, strongly entrenched in the arts. All you have to do is take a look at the 15 top albums thread and you had to know this thread was not going to be received well. There are rules, unspoken rules. There are bands that are "okay" and there are bands that are "not." Switchfoot is not.

And to suggest that postivity might be good! Madness! Unspoken rule: angst and darkness are real. Hope and light? Cheese, man. Cheese. (Granted, expressing hope and light without being cheesy is a LOT harder, and those who try usually fail. What U2 knows is that you can't appreciate the light without understanding the darkness. Most artists don't get that).

Having said that. I like Switchfoot well enough. I enjoyed The Beautiful Letdown--I thought it was a fresh, modern sound. I liked the lyrics well enough.

But I wouldn't put them in the same category as U2. Not even close. Sonically, of course their sound is completely different. It's the sort of band that would really get a lot of attention from say, the teenage girl audience (which there is nothing wrong with--it's just not the U2 typical U2 audience. Never has been). Lyrically, t Jon Foreman is no Bono. Anyone who has a shoutout to Bono in their songs is no Bono. His lyrics are not horribly bad, some are pretty good in my opinion, but they're not fresh. The topics aren't fresh and the way he approaches the topics isn't fresh. Spiritually, I would say, they are also completely different. Switchfoot is a "youth group" Christian band who managed to be lucky enought to crossover into the mainstream. While I listen to a lot of Christian music (because I'm a Christian and the music speaks to me where I am) the Christian music industry really annoys the hell out of me. U2 is a band whose members (at least some of them) are Christians but they've never been a "Christian" band. They didn't start out in the Christian niche market. They didn't try to "crossover." U2 has always just been who they are, and it's one of the reasons the Christian music world can't figure out what to do with them. "Is Bono a Christian? Well he sings "Forty". But then he says "fuck" on national televison? And then there was that whole 'Pop' thing with the wake up dead man and if god will send his angels. We don't know"

The fact that U2 isn't "trying" to be something is why I respect them.

I might suggest Rich Mullins as a lyricist to match Bono, in terms of quality, if not style. . .

As to the Gorillaz. I confess, I'm an old man. I don't know what's going on in music these days. I just like what I like.

The hard thing is to just like what you like, and let people laugh. The easy thing is to have the "right" tastes in music, and get people's "respect."
Old 03-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
Snobbery is, sadly, strongly entrenched in the arts. All you have to do is take a look at the 15 top albums thread and you had to know this thread was not going to be received well. There are rules, unspoken rules. There are bands that are "okay" and there are bands that are "not." Switchfoot is not.

And to suggest that postivity might be good! Madness! Unspoken rule: angst and darkness are real. Hope and light? Cheese, man. Cheese. (Granted, expressing hope and light without being cheesy is a LOT harder, and those who try usually fail. What U2 knows is that you can't appreciate the light without understanding the darkness. Most artists don't get that).
Thankfully, threads like this help us "out" the true followers of the rule book. The Bullshit is neck high and getting deeper.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The guy on my radio said that "Dare You To Move" was going to be the anthem for the 2004 Vote. And he was always pimping their grammy nomination.

Guess not!