Swervedriver - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Swervedriver

i just listened to a solo acoustic recording of Adam Franklin singing 'Harry and Maggie' - he calls it '93 million miles and counting'....
regardless, i felt inspired to speak my mind regarding the mammoth slab of noise that was swervedriver. underrated is a starting place, but really that focuses less on their music and more on the public's reaction. i want to talk about their music...
wildly energetic, at times bordering on frantic. with just the heaviest guitar tones pounding like big rain drops on the pavement. jim hartridge weaving groaning, wailing, screeching melodies and countermelodies through every song. they are a guitar player's band. but not guitar athletics, rather truly weaving a sonic tapestry, guitar strings as bristles on an audio paintbrush. songs ranging (and raging) from the simple to the wonderfully complex. far more aggressive, less ethereal than their shoegazing contemporaries, but no less melodic or gifted...gasoline and chrome, volume and disaffected passion. i've said it before - they were the hell's angels of the shoegazers. if you've never heard the album 'Mezcal Head', look into it (start with the track 'Duel') - you won't be disappointed.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
Refugee

i know nobody here is listening but...
here's what i'm talking about, jim hartridge making his guitar sound EXACTLY like a freight train down the end of a long-ass tunnel! fucking brilliant guitar playing...this was LIVE at an austrailian radio station circa 1997...
Last Train to Satansville
http://s46.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=323SRBLEFC1ZC3PVE5QBZMEWYP

Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 06:04 PM
I never really got into Swervedriver. I was already listening to My Bloody Valentine, Stone Roses and Ride so I felt I had reached my English guitar band quota.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by barlowdog
I never really got into Swervedriver. I was already listening to My Bloody Valentine, Stone Roses and Ride so I felt I had reached my English guitar band quota.
good list of bands, lots of unique guitar styles, and i love all of them.
swervedriver sits on top for me. none of the bands you mentioned had the muscle swervedriver had. they were ferocious. the only band on earth that could have possibly opened for smashing pumpkins when i saw them on the siamese dream tour. they fit perfectly.
never too late to hear them.
never too many guitars.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dudeman

good list of bands, lots of unique guitar styles, and i love all of them.
swervedriver sits on top for me. none of the bands you mentioned had the muscle swervedriver had. they were ferocious. the only band on earth that could have possibly opened for smashing pumpkins when i saw them on the siamese dream tour. they fit perfectly.
never too late to hear them.
never too many guitars.
good argument. I'll revisit them.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:04 PM
i wonder if i'm the only one who accidentally misread the title of this thread and thought it said skrewdriver.

which is why i came in here in the first place...i wanted to see if you were going to try to justify the fence-sitting position of being anti-nazi but still admitting to being a fan of the early stuff.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:40 PM   #7
Refugee

gonna bump this back up there....
Old 10-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
Refugee

apparently i'm the only swervedriver fan on here.
but here goes another rant...
so i've spent the afternoon surfing the 'net and listening to a random mix of swervedriver on itunes. holy guacamole! i never tire of these dudes. absolutely crazy guitar interplay, and today i'm rediscovering the rhythm section. blazing fucking insanity. they had 2 drummers (well 3, really - Paddy Pulzer for their demo period [they seriously list that as his name!], Graham Bonnar for the first album, then a dude named simply 'Jez' for their 3 last records). every one of them a complete psychopath, like keith moon or something when they were just burning things up in the most frantic way, able to rein things in for one of the looser, stonier tunes. they read the swells of guitar noise so well... i'm a songwriter myself, and their noise has had a huge influence (but that's another rant, specifically for someone who's particularly interested).
nevertheless, earlier i recommended 'mezcal head', and that's still the best album. an absolute landmark for guitar rock. last year they put out a compilation, that serves as a more complete, and exhaustive, introduction. worth the money, in my book. it's called 'juggernaut rides'. for fans of ride, my bloody valentine, smashing pumpkins, catherine wheel, and dinosaur jr....
Old 10-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

i'm enjoying me some "Mezcal Head" right now.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

MM Abduction
Old 10-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by barlowdog
O.K...but Swervedriver was better than all of the above (at least at times) "Rave Down" has to be one of the best songs of the early 90's.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
The Male

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest

O.K...but Swervedriver was better than all of the above (at least at times) "Rave Down" has to be one of the best songs of the early 90's.
Better than the Stone Roses? Is that possible?