Sweeney Todd starring the DELICIOUS Mr Depp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got home from seeing it. The moral of the story? Only slit the throats of men.

I didn't like it. I can appreciate it as an artistic accomplishment, and I thought Johnny did a great job with it. All the gore was way too much for me, I closed my eyes through most of it. I knew going in it would be bad, but for me it was even worse than I expected. On top of the gore I just felt like something was missing, like the gore was just used to cover up whatever that was or as some sort of replacement. I don't know what it was, maybe if I saw the play I might.

Helena Bonham Carter can't sing. I liked Johnny's singing.

It's not doing big box office, I think last weekend was only 9 million. Why was it released at Christmas? Big mistake I think, it should have been a summer movie.

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Saw it yesterday - was completely pleasantly surprised, and yes, Johnny Depp is still freaking hot when he's slitting throats. The whole "I will have vegenence" thing, um, yeah... :shifty:

This movie made me kinda believe in Burton again.

Best since Ed Wood? Not really hard to say, since Big Fish is his only film since really worth a damn.

I haven't seen it, becuase of the gore I don't think I will bealbe to. I do think that it opened in a bit over 1000 theaters around Christmas which why it didn't make more money.

That, and it didn't get heavily advertised before its release. Without the oversaturation of the market, it's surprising it's doing as well as it is. But still, it's a great movie. And the gore? I don't mind it because of how intensely fake and surreal it all is.

Man i can't wait to see this. Johnny Depp&Alan Rickman in the same film :drool: :combust: :faint:

I'd say Alan's got the sexiest voice in the universe after Bono! :drool: he's such an amazing actor and he seems a nice guy too :yes: and god is he hawt!!!

It's just so unfair that us poor lot in Britain have to wait 'til the end of January! :sigh:

I enjoyed it throughly. I'd have liked a bit more gore, though, and well, blood just doesn't spurt straight forward from a slit throat. It goes sideways. :tsk:

The ending was a bit sudden and left a couple questions but other than that pretty ace.

Edit: I find it entertaining to be claiming to want more blooood on my 666th post.

Last edited:
I saw it today and really enjoyed it. Johnny Depp didn't look that delicious, fanchicks, but he was pretty decent.

It's all about the supporting cast though, especially Helena Bonham Carter. She's the bomb.

OMG!! I want to see this movie soooooo badly!!! I'm thirteen though. My friend already went with her mom but me and her might go again with my mom. The only thing is, my mom does NOT want me to see it. She supposedly read the reviews and said that it's to bloody. Trust me, I'm not the type who's frightened by the sight of blood. But my mom won't let me go!!!! ahhhhh! :scream:

We're thinking that she could get a ticket and come in for the first few minutes, and then leave, then pick us up later. :wink:

Also, I bought the soundtrack today and Johnny's voice is killing me! :faint: :combust:
And, being the musical person that I am, I think that everyone sounded very good.

Now if only I could get into the theater to actually see it!!!!!

But honestly, the blood isn't a big deal. It's incredibly fake and if you or your mother have a stomach for any type of gore, it's totally fine.

Like someone said earlier, it's the shots of the bodies thudding to the ground that's really disturbing.

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's not doing big box office, I think last weekend was only 9 million. Why was it released at Christmas? Big mistake I think, it should have been a summer movie.

I agree that it shouldn't have been released on Christmas, but an earlier Fall release would have been ideal. Probably around the time that We Own Rendition of the Valley of Elah came out that no one saw.

It might've faced competition from Across the Universe though, who knows? That movie blew.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
I saw it today and really enjoyed it. Johnny Depp didn't look that delicious, fanchicks, but he was pretty decent.

It's all about the supporting cast though, especially Helena Bonham Carter. She's the bomb.

You are underestimating Mr. Depp. I know of two people (both female) who have said this is his first movie they have actually found him to be attractive in! :ohmy:

bonocomet said:

You are underestimating Mr. Depp. I know of two people (both female) who have said this is his first movie they have actually found him to be attractive in! :ohmy:

Being "attractive" doesn't equal superb acting talent. If that were true, Elisha Cuthbert would have about 5 Oscars by now.

He reminded me of every other "character consumed with revenge" except not as good, kind of like DiCaprio in Gangs of New York. And like that movie, every other character was more interesting than he was, but that's just me.

Bonogirl777 said:
No I get it but....ok.....awkward. :shifty:

Yeah, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

Attractive doesn't equal superb acting talent

He reminded me of every other "character consumed with revenge" except not as good, kind of like DiCaprio in Gangs of New York. And like that movie, every other character was more interesting than he was, but that's just me.

I wasn't talking about his acting here. You had said he "didn't look that delicious here" so I was commenting on that alone. One of the people I mentioned has been a big fan of his acting for a long time, but just never found him as attractive. Until now. It was his look, costumes, etc they liked. :shrug:

Oh, okay, I apologize.

I was being sarcastic earlier, definitely not macking on the Depp here.

No problem! No apologies needed.

The bodies thudding were pretty gross, but it's also done in an almost comedic way. My daughter has seen it a few times now. She said the more she's watched it, the more surreal and funny (those scenes) it starts to become. (I noticed a lot of people laughing in the theatre too, and she said this was much more true now than in the earlier audiences) She's also a movie making nerd ... and loved the fact that Burton went the complete old fashioned way here of doing the blood scenes with the pumps etc and no CGI. I guess looking at it from her point of view I can understand that it doesn't bother her, but I'm still a wimp and had to close my eyes. It didn't keep me from hearing the sound effects tho. :grumpy:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'm a big fan of Helena, well, with the exception of never seeing those Merchant Ivory films that I can never find enough patience to watch. Everything I've seen her in, I've loved (and I haven't seen Planet of the Apes, thankfully :wink: ).

As for Johnny, for me personally I just found his entire look for this film to be cool, nothing fanchicky about it. (Ok, maybe a teensy bit, but that's it, I swear :shifty: )

I enjoyed the movie. I wish some of the songs from the musical on Broadway remained intact.

I saw the revival 2 years ago and it was awesome.

Johnny and Helena didn't didn't do a bad singing job. They had to past muster with Sondheim so.....

Enjoyable movie nonetheless. Will have to get my sister to burn the soundtrack for me since I only have the Recording from the Revival which is creepy...

Back
Top Bottom