Survivor:Cook Islands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doozer61

Blue Crack Addict
la201_survivor_cook_islands.sff.jpg

Starts on Sept 14!!!! Teams will be divided by race! :ohmy:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/23/tv.survivor.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- The new season of "Survivor" will be a race among races.

At the start of the reality show's 13th edition, "Survivor: Cook Islands," 20 contestants will be organized into four tribes divided along ethnic lines -- black, white, Hispanic and Asian, CBS announced Wednesday.

The tribes, as usual, will merge later in the season, which debuts September 14, the network said.

Jeff Probst, host of the show, said the network was worried the racial divide might offend viewers.

"It's very risky because you're bringing up a topic that is a hot button," Probst told asap, The Associated Press service for younger readers. "There's a history of segregation you can't ignore. It is part of our history."

"For that, it's much safer to say, 'No, let's just stick with things the way they are. Let's don't be the network to rock the boat. Let's not have "Survivor" try something new,"' he said. "But the biases from home can't affect you. This is an equal opportunity game."

Probst said he and the "Survivor" producers wanted to bring more ethnic diversity to the competition.

"The truth is 80 percent of the people that apply are white," he said. "And television, in general, is white. So all these criticisms were valid."

On each episode of "Survivor: Cook Islands," at least one cast member will be sent to a separate island miles away from camp, where an immunity idol will be hidden. If found, this immunity idol could save a contestant from being voted off the show.

Could be an interesting experiment. If they don't wuss out and merge the tribes in Episode Two.

Here's a list of the competitors:

Rebecca Borman, 24, makeup artist, Laurelton, New York;
Anh-Tuan "Cao Boi" Bui, 42, nail salon manager, Christiansburg, Virginia;
Sekou Bunch, 45, jazz musician, Los Angeles;
J.P. Calderon, 30, pro volleyball player, Marina Del Rey, California;
Cristina Coria, 35, police officer, Los Angeles;
Stephannie Favor, 35, nursing student, Columbia, South Carolina;
Billy Garcia, 36, heavy metal guitarist, New York City;
Adam Gentry, 28, copier sales, San Diego;
Nathan Gonzalez, 26, retail sales, Los Angeles;
Jenny Guzon-Bae, 36, real estate agent, Lake Forest, Illinois;
Yul Kwon, 31, management consultant, San Mateo, California;
Becky Lee, 28, attorney, Washington, D.C.;
Oscar "Ozzy" Lusth, 25, waiter, Venice, California;
Cecilia Mansilla, 29, technology risk consultant, Oakland;
Sundra Oakley, 31, actress, Los Angeles;
Jonathan Penner, 44, writer/producer, Los Angeles;
Parvati Shallow, 23, boxer/waitress, Los Angeles;
Jessica Smith, 27, performance artist/rollergirl, Chico, California;
Brad Virata, 29, fashion director, Los Angeles;
Candice Woodcock, 23, premed student, Fayetteville, North Carolina.

:applaud: :hyper: Thanks Doozer, Can't WAIT till Sept 14th! TV has been getting boring lately, especially since even HBO series are coming to their finale (Lucky Louie, Entourage, Tourgasm etc). We have time to study the Bios and whatnot too. This is great! :up:

BigMacPhisto said:
Could be an interesting experiment. If they don't wuss out and merge the tribes in Episode Two.

Interesting :yes: , but race against race??? It's just the hook. You're right, they'll either form immediate alliances or merge.

I really is not going to matter b/c if it is like last season the 4 tribes will become two by the second episode.

NYC officials want new 'Survivor' pulled

By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer 48 minutes ago

As CBS prepares to launch a new season of the hit reality show "Survivor," this time featuring teams divided by race, enraged city officials are saying it promotes divisiveness and are calling for the network to reconsider.

"The idea of having a battle of the races is preposterous," City Councilman John Liu said Thursday. "How could anybody be so desperate for ratings?"

For the first portion of the 13th season of "Survivor," which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams — blacks, Asians, Latinos and whites.

Liu, who is Asian-American, said he was launching a campaign urging CBS to pull the show because it could encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts. He and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday.

deep said:
NYC officials want new 'Survivor' pulled

By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer 48 minutes ago

As CBS prepares to launch a new season of the hit reality show "Survivor," this time featuring teams divided by race, enraged city officials are saying it promotes divisiveness and are calling for the network to reconsider.

"The idea of having a battle of the races is preposterous," City Councilman John Liu said Thursday. "How could anybody be so desperate for ratings?"

For the first portion of the 13th season of "Survivor," which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams — blacks, Asians, Latinos and whites.

Liu, who is Asian-American, said he was launching a campaign urging CBS to pull the show because it could encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts. He and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday.

that is just about the stupidest thing i've heard all day.

if the people who are actually ON the show don't give a shit about being divided into races why should anyone else??

whatever. like they'd pull it after it's already been filmed anyway.

ugh. i'm sure it's an fym topic.

as tempted as i am to post in that thread, i think i'll pass.

now i need coffee :crack:

It's just a way to divide people for a GAME SHOW. It's not like they have announced they are conducting an experiment to determine a superior race or something. I figured it would draw controversy though.

Bonochick said:
It's just a way to divide people for a GAME SHOW. It's not like they have announced they are conducting an experiment to determine a superior race or something. I figured it would draw controversy though.

And this is exactly what draws ratings: controversy. Smart producers. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom