SURVIVOR 12: Panama - Exile Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hewson said:

Terry is incredibly dominant, perhaps like no other player before. The only ones close are Firefighter Tom, Colby in his first go-round and Boston Rob in allstars (which was a huge change from the way he played the first time).

How can you not list Brian in there? He totally dominated Thailand without making any dumb decisions (Tom was idiotic to plan on bringing the next biggest challenge threat, Ian, to Final Three). And unlike "Boston" Rob and Colby, Brian actually did what he neede to in order to win.

And "Boston" Rob did not alter his game in the slightest the second time around. It's just that half of the cast already had targets on their backs, so he only had to outwit such "masterminds" as Big Tom and Rupert. Puh-lease!

BigMacPhisto said:

And "Boston" Rob did not alter his game in the slightest the second time around. It's just that half of the cast already had targets on their backs, so he only had to outwit such "masterminds" as Big Tom and Rupert. Puh-lease!
Boston Rob most certainly altered his game for all stars.
In the Marquesas he sat back, was admittedly lazy and got ousted.
In all stars he took a leadership role, stepped up in challenges and was physically dominant.

BigMacPhisto said:

Why are you worried about that? Do you people honestly want someone as boring as Terry to win? It's
OUTWIT, Outplay and Outlast. He hasn't satisfied the first part, mostly due to his horrible social skills and high regard for himself over others.

Well, he found the hidden immunity idol, so he outwited everyone there.

And really, when you win as much as he does, you don't need to outwit as much. I'm sure he could care less if that's what it takes to win a million, and I'm sure if you were in his position, you wouldn't give a shit how you come across, either. It's the money that's important.

BigMacPhisto said:

Why are you worried about that? Do you people honestly want someone as boring as Terry to win? It's
OUTWIT, Outplay and Outlast. He hasn't satisfied the first part, mostly due to his horrible social skills and high regard for himself over others.
Perhaps his perceived "horrible social skills" are in fact an attempt to "outwit".
His social skills weren't so horrible before the merger. His old tribemates worship him.
He may be doing everything in his power to piss off the gang of 6 and scramble them up, and he may be hoping to seem pompous to them so he may get chosen to go to the final 2 with someone if that person perceives him as beatable.

As for the original question, yes I want to see Terry win. Have from the get go. I always prefer to see strong players win rather than (Taylor Hawkins and the) coattail riders.

phanan said:
Yeah, Cerie pulled it off. Now I just wonder if Shane will buy their story, or if he'll panic and try something with Terry.

In any event, Terry is in the final four no matter what, so it's really looking good for him.

And one thing this does is with Courtney, she's going to feel screwed by her former tribe and would most likely give Terry her vote if he made it to the final two. That would be three votes for Terry then, and I could see Bruce voting for him too.

So the others shouldn't automatically assume that getting to the final two with Terry is a guaranteed victory anymore.

Excellent point. I've felt for a long time that Terry is pretty much destined to win this game. And Courtney has every reason in the world to vote for him. He didn't "turn" on her like the others did. He would have taken her to the final three (and the final two), and he dominated challenges so it seems fair to give it to him. Someone like Aras probably wouldn't feel so bitter if he'd been voted out since he knew he had a "target on his back."

Still, I'm very impressed with Cerie. She really surprised me with her sharp take on the game. Few players in Survior seem to be able to see the "big picture" the way she has. Granted, by betraying Courtney she probably lost her vote on the jury, but what other real choice did she have? Let's say she'd gotten rid of Aras or Danielle, she'd still be outnumbered against a final three that has no intention of including her (assuming that Terry will be in that equation.) I think this was her best shot at advancing herself further in the game, and really some times that all you can do--fight to get to final two and let the jury thing sort itself out.

So I'm guessing, next to go would be Shane?

Re: Terry. I guess people are entitled to like whoever they want on this show, but I'll tell you why I'm not a big Terry fan. I've got nothing against him "personally"--after all I don't know him. But, in my opinion, he makes Survior more boring. It basically looks like we're going to have a Survivor blowout. And blowouts are boring. Think about any spectator sport. You want to see a close game--it's more exciting that way. This is hardly a "close" game. Think about "sports movies." They don't make movies about the teams that dominate, that are unstoppable, unbeatable, and that win championship after championship. Why? because we already know what's going to happen. "Oh, they won AGAIN, like the other 15 times. Big Deal." They make movies about the underdog, the come-from behind last second win (okay they make so many movies like that it's become cliche, but let's face it in real life the underdog victory is anything but cliche. That's why it's entertaining when there's a chance for that to happen).

If you're going to have a "superman" player then they better have some serious charisma to make up for it, like Tom did. Terry is just not that compelling in terms of entertainment

Hewson said:

As for the original question, yes I want to see Terry win. Have from the get go. I always prefer to see strong players win rather than (Taylor Hawkins and the) coattail riders.

But in Survivor, being a strong player is lot more than just being physically strong. This isn't eco-challenge. This game has always had a strong mental element, and with a very few exceptions most of the winners have been those who realized that getting the million is based on a LOT more than mere physical strength (i.e. Richard Hatch, Tina, Vesepia, Brian, Jenna, Sandra, Amber, Chris, and Dani).

To tell you the truth, I haven't seen any "coattail riders" win Survivor. The jury has never voted for someone they viewed as a "coat-tail rider." They HAVE recognized when someone has just played a better game.

Cerie didn't ride anyone's coattails to make the game swing the way it did last week. She made it happen. And that's a strong player.

sindaddy said:
Did they have to keep showing Danielle's hairy armpits during the immunity challenge?

I always kinda wondered why we don't see more of this, as unpleasant as it may be. The men grow in their beards--wouldn't you expect to see some underarm hair coming in?

I figured most of the women who go on the show must get some kind of electrolsis or waxing or SOMEthing because they end the game as smooth shaven as when they came in.

I don't know. I'm pretty ignorant on these matters as you can tell.

maycocksean said:

Re: Terry. I guess people are entitled to like whoever they want on this show, but I'll tell you why I'm not a big Terry fan. I've got nothing against him "personally"--after all I don't know him. But, in my opinion, he makes Survior more boring. It basically looks like we're going to have a Survivor blowout. And blowouts are boring. Think about any spectator sport. You want to see a close game--it's more exciting that way. This is hardly a "close" game. Think about "sports movies." They don't make movies about the teams that dominate, that are unstoppable, unbeatable, and that win championship after championship. Why? because we already know what's going to happen. "Oh, they won AGAIN, like the other 15 times. Big Deal." They make movies about the underdog, the come-from behind last second win (okay they make so many movies like that it's become cliche, but let's face it in real life the underdog victory is anything but cliche. That's why it's entertaining when there's a chance for that to happen).

I understand your point, and I can see why people view it as such.

But if you look at it another way, Terry is truly the underdog here. His tribe was picked off one by one. Normally at this point on past editions of Survivor, the usual fare is that one tribe gets rid of the other, and then they fend for themselves.

Terry has changed that by being dominant in the challenges. Sure, having the same person win week after week can be boring, but it's the mayhem he's causing for the other tribe that has become fascinating to watch, and makes this version of Survivor stand out from the rest. And I find that quite entertaining.

phanan said:

But if you look at it another way, Terry is truly the underdog here. His tribe was picked off one by one. Normally at this point on past editions of Survivor, the usual fare is that one tribe gets rid of the other, and then they fend for themselves.

Terry has changed that by being dominant in the challenges. Sure, having the same person win week after week can be boring, but it's the mayhem he's causing for the other tribe that has become fascinating to watch, and makes this version of Survivor stand out from the rest. And I find that quite entertaining.
I concur.

phanan said:

:yes:

Go Terry!

I'm not sure but I don't think that Terry has actually shown the idol to any of those who are left :hmm:

I think that if Terry were really smart he would lose a challenge, the others would vote for him and then Terry's vote would get rid of Aras as Terry could use the idol to save himself :hmm:

I guess the question is, would they fall for such a plan and could Terry actually come up with such a plan :giggle:

And if they know for sure that Terry has the idol well ~ nevermind :wink:

Yes, fah, Terry showed the idol to Danielle. I believe there is speculation on behalf of others that Terry may have it but the only one who saw theproof was Danielle.

Tonite they will end with the final four, but not after the producers mess with the contestant's heads and :heart:'s by bringing family members out. Should be interesting indeed and we could possibly see some shocking turns.

Can't wait till tonite's episode! :hyper:

phanan said:

That's true. I hadn't quite thought of it that way. And you're right, watching the Casayas members try to play "around" him has been quite interesting. Last week's episode where Cerie turned the game was one of the best this season.

I guess I have to confess it must be Terry himself then. Heck, during Surviovr, Palau, I WANTED Stephanie to do what Terry is doing now, and if she had I'd have been cheering all the way. I suppose I could argue that with Stephanie you could never be certain that she would win immunity the way you know with Terry, so she felt like an underdog whereas with Terry there's really not much doubt. You see the challenge, and you think well Terry will win this one too. (I'm assuming he won immunity again tonight). But that's a feeble argument at best.

I guess I just don't find Terry that compelling or charismatic and that's why I'm down on him. Obvioulsy, others feel differently and I can see why they would find his string of victories something to be excited about.

Wowza, Terry is just dominating every challenge. I was glad that he chose Shane and his son though for the reward. At least Shane got to win one nice reward before he got booted. He was hilarious and good entertainment, gotta give him that.

Carek1230 said:
OK the West Coast has seen the episode and we are ready to discuss.....Who is happy Shane got the axe tonite, folks?

Memememememememe!

Okay, I broke down and read the thread before next week.

I'm glad to hear Shane got the axe. Mainly because it would seem to suggest Cerie's master plan to get herself to the final two would seem to still be working. I'm not sure what all the nuances were not having seen the episode yet, so maybe not.

I think I'm going to buy tonight's episode on CBS.com so that I can watch it online this weekend. I'll be traveling (in Palau, of all places!) and won't be able to catch tonights show or the finale when they air here.

By the way, the finale is Sunday night right?

Sicy said:
Wowza, Terry is just dominating every challenge. I was glad that he chose Shane and his son though for the reward. At least Shane got to win one nice reward before he got booted. He was hilarious and good entertainment, gotta give him that.

It's kind of amazing Shane got this far. I remember thinking he was going to quit for sure early on in the game when he was jonesing for his cigarettes.

Same here.

I actually liked Shane...he was a character.

Terry is a stud.
What was the name of that other guy that kept on winning the challenges and ended up wining the name?...I think it was in Survivor #4?

maycocksean said:

By the way, the finale is Sunday night right?
The finale is a week from Sunday (May 14) in the US, Mother's Day which may screw some people's viewing up (like mine).

There is one more episode next Thurs.

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past doesn't the finale start with the final 4, whittle to 3 then to the final 2?
This time obviously its gonna just feature the final 3.

Sicy said:
I actually liked Shane more recently than I did early in the season and would have preferred he stayed and Danielle went home.
He was definitely good entertainment. His facial expressions during tribal councils were priceless. He should be an interesting jury member.

Hewson said:

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past doesn't the finale start with the final 4, whittle to 3 then to the final 2?
This time obviously its gonna just feature the final 3.

That's correct - they always had a two-hour finale beginning with the final four, so apparently they are changing that this season.

What I think is amazing about Terry (or completely lame of the other members depending how you look at it) is that not only is he winning every immunity challenge he is also winning every reward!! Even Colby didn't do that and every member he played with was starving and emeciated.
If the previews are correct I think it comes down to Danielle and Terry and I think it would be a toss up who wins.

Hewson said:
I actually liked Shane more recently than I did early in the season and would have preferred he stayed and Danielle went home.
He was definitely good entertainment. His facial expressions during tribal councils were priceless. He should be an interesting jury member.

Another screwed-over jury member = another potential vote for Terry.

Back
Top Bottom