~Survivor 11: Guatemala~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carek1230 said:
I wonder how long it is gonna take before any of them recognize the football QB.
My guess is if he told most of them, "I'm Gary Hogeboom", they'd all say, "Hi Gary what do you do for a living?"
Most are too young to remember him, he was a decent player for the Cowboys for a few seasons, came in with huge hype but had trouble unseating Danny White for the starting QB job, so he's far from a household name. You'd need to be a serious NFL fan(and likely over 30 which eliminates most of his teammmates) to recognize his name, and he didn't have the gray hair (obviously) when he played, he won't be recognized.
However, I fully expect Probst to expose his past the first time he attend a tribal council.
They should tell nobody who he is and have a challenge which involves throwing footballs thru a tire.

Would you go to Survivor (If selected), if you had a son or daughter under 5 years old?
Would it be worth it?...not seeing your kid for over a month?

Not me.

I don't know how some people do it.
:shrug:

Hmm. I actually can't answer that. I don't think I have a maternal bone in my body. :huh:

But, I can tell you that I would have attempted to kick my mother's ass if she left me for a month.

I'm a very needy person.

RedrocksU2 said:
Would you go to Survivor (If selected), if you had a son or daughter under 5 years old?

Not me.

I don't know--can't say, don't have kids, don't want them. But I work with writers with young kids who go off to writing retreats for a month at a time to work. It's hard for them, they feel terrible about it, but they do it with their spouse's support and in the end don't regret it. :shrug: Sometimes if a parent is really frustrated in their work or life in general it doesn't serve the kids well anyway even if they're physically present, so I think if they went away for a month and did something that was really important to them, fulfilling them in some way, it would benefit the child in the long run.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go on Survivor no matter what!!! :lol:

I would be the first one voted out...my physical skills are lacking, and I get freaked out by moths flying in my face, let alone ginormous tarantulas and scorpions and snakes and crocodiles looming around

Bonochick said:

I would be the first one voted out...my physical skills are lacking, and I get freaked out by moths flying in my face, let alone ginormous tarantulas and scorpions and snakes and crocodiles looming around

:up:

The howler monkeys are kind of scary too!

Wow what a first episode. I guess the girls are in somewhat better shape than the guys judging from the hike! Gee whiz! Poor Margaret probably went there to get away from the pressures of nursing! Little did she know...

Isn't where they're tenting and having tribal council kind of.. sacred ground? Know what I mean. It kind of seems odd for them to be right there. I can see them camping in the jungle near the ruins but right on them? Hopefully they don't have trouble with ghosts or anything hehe.

:wink:

When Bobby Jean's (or whatever the hell his name is) eyeballs were rolling back in his head I totally almost puked. He looked WAY to scary.

:yikes:

Hewson said:
My guess is if he told most of them, "I'm Gary Hogeboom", they'd all say, "Hi Gary what do you do for a living?"
Most are too young to remember him, he was a decent player for the Cowboys for a few seasons, came in with huge hype but had trouble unseating Danny White for the starting QB job, so he's far from a household name. You'd need to be a serious NFL fan(and likely over 30 which eliminates most of his teammmates) to recognize his name, and he didn't have the gray hair (obviously) when he played, he won't be recognized.
However, I fully expect Probst to expose his past the first time he attend a tribal council.
They should tell nobody who he is and have a challenge which involves throwing footballs thru a tire.

they did ask him. on the hike.

he told them he owned a small landscaping business. then he explained off-camera why he did that.

and yes, i would go away from my child for a month. it's only a month and the possibility of securing a child's future by winning a million dollars would be an awesome thing to go for.

I'm sure Yaxha will only keep Stephanie around for a few weeks - I doubt she'll make it to the merge. Her knowledge and strength will benefit them as a team, but will hurt her chances when it becomes individual competition.

bonosgirl84 said:

they did ask him. on the hike.

he told them he owned a small landscaping business. then he explained off-camera why he did that.

They asked him what he did for a living, he said "small landscaping business" which I assume is accurate since he is long retired from the NFL.
He did not however reveal his last name.
I suspect if he said "Hogeboom" at least 7 of the other 8, if not all 8 would say..."hmm interesting name, never heard it before, is it Dutch or something?"
My point is I doubt any of the players will recognize him on their own as a former NFL QB, he looks much different. And even with the help of his last name (which he is withholding) I don't think many or any would recognize his past.

As I said though, I bet Probst lets the cat out of the bag at first opportunity.

Hewson said:
They asked him what he did for a living, he said "small landscaping business" which I assume is accurate since he is long retired from the NFL.

According to his bio on the Survivor website, it is accurate:

Since retiring from the NFL, Hogeboom has become a real estate developer and landscaper.

RedrocksU2 said:

Not me.

While I am lacking the physical skills and crawly/bitey things scare the crap out of me ~ I long to go :hyper:

I think as long as my kids were taken care of I wouldn't even hesitate...the mini fahs would love to see their Mom on Survivor.

Bonochick said:

I was thinking the same thing Bonochick, especially after they kept showing those spiders.

My kids think I should audition for Survivor, too. While I wouldn't have a problem with the physical aspect, I could absolutely not handle the bugs. Not just sleeping with them, but the possibility of having to eat them in a challenge.

So, with crocs in the water everywhere..wonder if they'll stick to mostly land challenges and boat races. Course, there were sharks in the water on the islands.

There've been crocs around in other survivors right? I remember them showing the pictures, but they never did encounter any. I wonder if they tryto take them out before the contestants get there?

Hewson said:
I bet Bobby Jon, Blake and company are glad they had a Nurse Prctitioner as a teammate.

I wonder how long the nurse will stay on the show? So long as they keep getting sick she will be a necessary figure in camp. Interesting that the guys were falling like flies but the women kept going.

Carek1230 said:

Interesting that the guys were falling like flies but the women kept going.
I think that was a byproduct of the men carrying far too much weight during the hike. Bobby Jon was attempting to carry 2 heavy sacks of corn.
They obviously wanted to take as many supplies as possible, but underestimated how grueling an 11 mile hike through the jungle would be.

Carek1230 said:
True. I wonder how the contestants on this show know what to do to "prepare" for their Survivor experience? Does anyone know?

I don't know but common sense should tell them to boost their immune systems like never before. Do what I do in the weeks before getting on an airplane, and multiply it by 1000. Or something like that. Maybe that's what the women did. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom