Surfing the web at work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you surf the web at work?

• No - I don't have time/permission

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Yes - but I don't have permission

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Yes - I don't have permission but I know its tolerated

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Yes - and I do have permission

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters
MissMaCo said:
I'm not. Being a teacher, I can't just tell my students : "wait a minutes guys, I have to reply in Interference... please, try to understand this text while I'm gone !" :wink:

you could print a thread and let them translate it

an IO thread

:drool:

i work in a call center booking reservations for the disneyland hotels at the resort. we have internet access that we can use for work related purpose only, such as checking rates at other places that book reservations for lower rates at our hotels, we also use mapquest to give directions to guests who are en route to the resort. other than that, we can't use it to check our bank statements online, check our emails, ebay, etc. mostly it is tolerated however. i usually have interference running in the background, but at times it gets too busy for me to click it.

I'm allowed to, but I don't really have the chance. I'm an assistant manager at a coffee shop and when it's really slow, sometimes I'll go in the back and see what's going on.

I'm here a lot during the day because I go to work so early in the morning that I'm usually home by 12PM.

Bonochick said:
No way I'm going to risk losing my job just to go online. I can wait until I get home.
:yes:

i don't have net access at work. well, i do, but all i can load is our company's website and this site where i can download contracts. even yahoo is blocked. now hey, if you can view the net at work, and it's allowed, that's cool by me. but i noticed two people voted that they do even though it's not allowed. why would someone risk their job just to browse the internet? i'm not singling anyone out because i don't even know who voted, i just don't understand why someone would want to risk getting fired just to go online.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:yes:

i don't have net access at work. well, i do, but all i can load is our company's website and this site where i can download contracts. even yahoo is blocked. now hey, if you can view the net at work, and it's allowed, that's cool by me. but i noticed two people voted that they do even though it's not allowed. why would someone risk their job just to browse the internet? i'm not singling anyone out because i don't even know who voted, i just don't understand why someone would want to risk getting fired just to go online.

At my current job I had to sign a form stating I would never use the internet unless it was for work. A lot of my stuff depends on looking at various sites online so there would be no way to block anything. I was a little paranoid at first but I see so many people, including supervisors, using it for personal use. We're not even supposed to have wallpapers or screensavers on our computers that didn't come with the computer but tons of people do. I think with the way my job is that we don't always get time to take a lunch, we work longer hours without pay and as long as our work is done and done correctly, no one is going to say anything to anyone for taking a 5 minute break. I also think as long as it's not something completely offensive either that no one will say anything. I'm not saying it's right but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't get fired for going online for 5 minutes, or less in most cases, of personal use. Maybe a verbal or written warning. But not fired.

I don't even get to sit at work nevermind get the use of a computer. :up:

I do use interference in the library at university, usually when im in really early and nobody else is about. one day when i had just started i was waiting for things to print out and got told off for not using the computer for university related work when i was looking around here. as i looked around the lib i noticed most of the other folk were on message boards too. :|

umm, it depends a little bit at how excited I am about having dragged my arse to the office that particular day

as far as interference goes I usually log on at some point during the day and where other people would chat with others or stare out the window or whatever I browse the forums
usually by the end of the afternoon this increases unless I am with clients of course

Back
Top Bottom