Superman Returns - The new Superman movie - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Superman Returns - The new Superman movie

Having always been a big Supes fan, I'm pretty excited for this one. But I have to say, while it should be awesome with Brian Singer directing, I'm not too keen on the plotline snippets I've seen, nor am I so fond of the idea of the "Win A Date With Tad Hamilton" girl playing Lois Lane........

http://imdb.com/title/tt0348150/

Old 03-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:11 PM
I'm actually disappointed from what I've seen so far.

Costume alone looks shit.

I think they screwed up by passing on the the Kevin Smith Tim Burton pairing.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Costume alone looks shit.

Agreed & agreed. If they were able to do the Doomsday story well (the original Kevin Smith idea), it would've kicked ass. Looks like the title--"Superman Returns"--is the only thing that survived, and they tried to make a story that fits the title.

Can't really say I'm a fan of the costume, either:

The 'S' is far too small....they probably did it to make that skinny guy look bigger than he is. And an 'S' on the belt is pretty silly, too, IMO.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I saw a preview of this movie after an episode of Smallville a few months back and my dad and I both said "that's it?". It looked bad. I think it's going to be a stinker. Do ya know that Kevin Spacey is going to be Jor El?
Old 03-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Kevin Spacey is Lex Luthor, Jules, not Jor-El, fyi

Jor-El is played by Marlon Brando using cut footage from the original Superman from the '70s and special digital effects and rumour has it Hugh Jackman may play the young Jor-EL or have some other cameo in the film.

I will reserve judgement until it is released and I am a huge critic of comic book movies.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #6
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I agree
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

One problem with Superman is that he is Superman. A great writer can create fantastic stories for the character but a weak writer just leaves him as being an invincible juggernaut without weakness.

Hopefully, the new film will touch on Kal-el's difficulty with coping on a planet where he is totally alone being the sole survivor of Krypton and an alien. In a sense, touch on his morality and place in the world of humans.

I don't think the Doomsday story would have worked this time since Superman has not been on film since the late '80s and 3 & 4 were crap too. They have to reintroduce him to the mainstream again. Maybe a couple of sequels down the road, the Doomsday storyline could be filmed.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 01:11 PM
I think this movie is going to be worse than the Spiderman and Batman (the Tim Burton ones and Begins) movies but still better than The Fantastic Four and Dardevil movies.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
One problem with Superman is that he is Superman. A great writer can create fantastic stories for the character but a weak writer just leaves him as being an invincible juggernaut without weakness.

Hopefully, the new film will touch on Kal-el's difficulty with coping on a planet where he is totally alone being the sole survivor of Krypton and an alien. In a sense, touch on his morality and place in the world of humans.
Agreed. I think they're going more for the love story on this one, which still at least shows the human/emtional side of the character and can make things interesting. I have a feeling that they're somewhat modeling after the Spider-man movies, in that they'll be showing more of the innerworkings of S's mind, the majority of which will be focused on Lois.

Quote:
I don't think the Doomsday story would have worked this time since Superman has not been on film since the late '80s and 3 & 4 were crap too. They have to reintroduce him to the mainstream again. Maybe a couple of sequels down the road, the Doomsday storyline could be filmed.
Certainly. I think the Doomsday storyline would have worked when they were first thinking about making a new movie, which was not too long after the Doomsday arc. But yeah, it wouldn't work now....and I have a feeling they wouldn't do it in the future, either, as the death & return stories would have to be at least two movies if done fairly accurately, plus the story is pretty outdated now. To be honest, I last read a Superman book several years ago (I stopped a few months after they made Supes into a blue electric Superman or something.. ), but I believe they're revamping the whole DC Universe right now, kind of like the Crisis On Infinite Earths did in the 80s & Zero Hour in the 90s. (aaaaaaand now my true dorkdom rears its ugly head! ) So, I'm not too sure about what's going on in the books right now.... I'll probably pick some up again before the movie comes out.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:11 PM
I think this time they got a pretty Lois Lane, I just saw the original last night and Margot Kidder was annoying and not that pretty

I wish Kevin Smith and Tim Burton were involved, but I am optimistic for Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 03:11 PM
superman?... I don't know I really have doubts about that movie. I always think that the character is just too plain for the actual audience, because it doesn't have the human flaws and complexities that other super heroes and comic characters have, like Batman.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Kevin Spacey is Lex Luthor, Jules, not Jor-El, fyi

Jor-El is played by Marlon Brando using cut footage from the original Superman from the '70s and special digital effects and rumour has it Hugh Jackman may play the young Jor-EL or have some other cameo in the film.

I will reserve judgement until it is released and I am a huge critic of comic book movies.
oops! That's who I meant. I type way too fast.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I thought Margot Kidder was an excellent Lois Lane, filled with spirit and feisty, which is what I think attracts Superman to her in the first place. An independent woman with a go get 'em attitude.

Muggsy, you are correct about Superman if he is not written and developed properly. There are some fantastic stories which develop Superman as an individual like Batman. He has issues too, only skilled thoughtful writers have been able to use them in story arcs.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

You can't say no to Teri Hatcher--especially the curvacious one of the old 'Lois & Clark' days! That is, until they got Lois & Clark together and the whole thing jumped the shark....

Funnily enough, there's an article on cnn.com today about the guy playing Superman. It seems he reeeeaally likes the idea of having the role...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html
Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Yes he's some unknown guy, I guess he has been in a soap opera. I think Kate Bosworth is so pretty, I love her two different color eyes. Hopefully she'll be a decent Lois.

I've seen a short trailer in the theater a couple of weeks ago. I hope it's not crap. Christopher Reeve will always be the one and only Superman as far as I'm concerned.

All I keep reading online about the new one is that there was some issue over his, um, package It looked huge or something and the studio was concerned