Superman Returns - The new Superman movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Having always been a big Supes fan, I'm pretty excited for this one. But I have to say, while it should be awesome with Brian Singer directing, I'm not too keen on the plotline snippets I've seen, nor am I so fond of the idea of the "Win A Date With Tad Hamilton" girl playing Lois Lane........:rolleyes:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0348150/

I'm actually disappointed from what I've seen so far.

Costume alone looks shit.

I think they screwed up by passing on the the Kevin Smith Tim Burton pairing.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Costume alone looks shit.

I think they screwed up by passing on the the Kevin Smith Tim Burton pairing.

Agreed & agreed. If they were able to do the Doomsday story well (the original Kevin Smith idea), it would've kicked ass. :yes: Looks like the title--"Superman Returns"--is the only thing that survived, and they tried to make a story that fits the title. :tsk:

Can't really say I'm a fan of the costume, either:
mptv1.gif

The 'S' is far too small....they probably did it to make that skinny guy look bigger than he is. And an 'S' on the belt is pretty silly, too, IMO.

I saw a preview of this movie after an episode of Smallville a few months back and my dad and I both said "that's it?". It looked bad. I think it's going to be a stinker. Do ya know that Kevin Spacey is going to be Jor El? :yuck:

Kevin Spacey is Lex Luthor, Jules, not Jor-El, fyi

Jor-El is played by Marlon Brando using cut footage from the original Superman from the '70s and special digital effects and rumour has it Hugh Jackman may play the young Jor-EL or have some other cameo in the film.

I will reserve judgement until it is released and I am a huge critic of comic book movies.:eyebrow:

One problem with Superman is that he is Superman. A great writer can create fantastic stories for the character but a weak writer just leaves him as being an invincible juggernaut without weakness.

Hopefully, the new film will touch on Kal-el's difficulty with coping on a planet where he is totally alone being the sole survivor of Krypton and an alien. In a sense, touch on his morality and place in the world of humans.:nerd:

I don't think the Doomsday story would have worked this time since Superman has not been on film since the late '80s and 3 & 4 were crap too. They have to reintroduce him to the mainstream again. Maybe a couple of sequels down the road, the Doomsday storyline could be filmed.

I think this movie is going to be worse than the Spiderman and Batman (the Tim Burton ones and Begins) movies but still better than The Fantastic Four and Dardevil movies.

trevster2k said:
One problem with Superman is that he is Superman. A great writer can create fantastic stories for the character but a weak writer just leaves him as being an invincible juggernaut without weakness.

Hopefully, the new film will touch on Kal-el's difficulty with coping on a planet where he is totally alone being the sole survivor of Krypton and an alien. In a sense, touch on his morality and place in the world of humans.:nerd:

Agreed. I think they're going more for the love story on this one, which still at least shows the human/emtional side of the character and can make things interesting. I have a feeling that they're somewhat modeling after the Spider-man movies, in that they'll be showing more of the innerworkings of S's mind, the majority of which will be focused on Lois.

I don't think the Doomsday story would have worked this time since Superman has not been on film since the late '80s and 3 & 4 were crap too. They have to reintroduce him to the mainstream again. Maybe a couple of sequels down the road, the Doomsday storyline could be filmed.

Certainly. I think the Doomsday storyline would have worked when they were first thinking about making a new movie, which was not too long after the Doomsday arc. But yeah, it wouldn't work now....and I have a feeling they wouldn't do it in the future, either, as the death & return stories would have to be at least two movies if done fairly accurately, plus the story is pretty outdated now. To be honest, I last read a Superman book several years ago (I stopped a few months after they made Supes into a blue electric Superman or something..:drunk: ), but I believe they're revamping the whole DC Universe right now, kind of like the Crisis On Infinite Earths did in the 80s & Zero Hour in the 90s. (aaaaaaand now my true dorkdom rears its ugly head! :wink: ) So, I'm not too sure about what's going on in the books right now.... I'll probably pick some up again before the movie comes out.

I think this time they got a pretty Lois Lane, I just saw the original last night and Margot Kidder was annoying and not that pretty :barf:

I wish Kevin Smith and Tim Burton were involved, but I am optimistic for Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. :hyper:

:hmm: superman?... I don't know I really have doubts about that movie. I always think that the character is just too plain for the actual audience, because it doesn't have the human flaws and complexities that other super heroes and comic characters have, like Batman.

trevster2k said:
Kevin Spacey is Lex Luthor, Jules, not Jor-El, fyi

Jor-El is played by Marlon Brando using cut footage from the original Superman from the '70s and special digital effects and rumour has it Hugh Jackman may play the young Jor-EL or have some other cameo in the film.

I will reserve judgement until it is released and I am a huge critic of comic book movies.:eyebrow:

oops! That's who I meant. I type way too fast. :der:

I thought Margot Kidder was an excellent Lois Lane, filled with spirit and feisty, which is what I think attracts Superman to her in the first place. An independent woman with a go get 'em attitude.

Muggsy, you are correct about Superman if he is not written and developed properly. There are some fantastic stories which develop Superman as an individual like Batman. He has issues too, only skilled thoughtful writers have been able to use them in story arcs.

You can't say no to Teri Hatcher--especially the curvacious one of the old 'Lois & Clark' days! :combust: That is, until they got Lois & Clark together and the whole thing jumped the shark....

Funnily enough, there's an article on cnn.com today about the guy playing Superman. It seems he reeeeaally likes the idea of having the role...:rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/27/film.supermanreturns.ap/index.html

Yes he's some unknown guy, I guess he has been in a soap opera. I think Kate Bosworth is so pretty, I love her two different color eyes. Hopefully she'll be a decent Lois.

I've seen a short trailer in the theater a couple of weeks ago. I hope it's not crap. Christopher Reeve will always be the one and only Superman as far as I'm concerned.

All I keep reading online about the new one is that there was some issue over his, um, package :wink: It looked huge or something and the studio was concerned :D

Ashton Kutcher as Superman? :lol: Kevin Spacey should be awesome

(AP) Superman is returning, and he's going to bust right through the screen.

Warner Bros. Pictures announced Thursday that the Man of Steel will be coming at you this summer. When Superman Returns opens June 30 in wide release, the film is also going to be shown on IMAX screens, with 20 minutes of the action converted into 3-D.

This will mark the first time ever that a live-action Hollywood feature has been shown in IMAX 3-D, perhaps a sign of things to come in the days of declining theater attendance. While Superman Returns can easily be considered one of the year's most anticipated movies, studios are probably figuring that any added incentives--better picture, bigger sound, cool glasses--can help.

IMAX Corp. will digitally remaster the long-awaited installment of the superhero's saga to bring it to the ginormous screen, no doubt to the delight of fanboys and -girls.

"The test scenes that have been converted into IMAX 3-D look, sound and feel absolutely amazing," Superman Returns director Bryan Singer said in a statement. "The magic of IMAX 3-D will envelop audiences in the story, enabling them to feel the emotion, drama and suspense in a completely new and unique way."

Moviegoers will be given some sort of visual onscreen cue when it's time to don their fancy specs.

"Today's announcement is a culmination of a great film, a great filmmaker, a great studio, and great technology--all working together to produce the most powerful and immersive cinematic experience available to moviegoers worldwide," IMAX cochairs and co-CEOs Richard Gelfond and Bradley Wechsler said in a statement laden with the promise of a grand cinematic event to come.

Revolutionary IMAX experience or no, hold-your-breath suspense has already been built into the 21st-century Superman experience, with a different actor donning the famous "S" insignia on the big screen for the first time in almost 20 years.

After a Rolodex's worth of names, including Nicolas Cage, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ashton Kutcher and Brendan Fraser, were floated for the title role, Singer decided on relative newcomer Brandon Routh, who to date only has one feature film--Karla, costarring Laura Prepon--under his big yellow belt.

Maybe Routh looked the cutest in the Clark Kent glasses.

The 26-year-old actor might need the strength of a locomotive to shoulder the hype that Superman Returns is generating. Warner Bros. has had the project in the works, in some form or another, for the past 10 years.

In 1998, it was Tim Burton who was going to plot Superman's flight plan. Then Brett Ratner came onboard, but subsequently left and become the man behind the mutant superheroes in X-Men: The Last Stand, which is due in May. Next Charlie's Angels director McG stepped in. And after he stepped out, along came X-Men director Bryan Singer.

This latest chapter in the story of Metropolis finds our hero returning to Earth after a mysterious absence, only to find that Lois Lane has moved on and evil nemeses abound. Kate Bosworth is on hand as Superman's sweetie and Kevin Spacey seems like a great choice to fill Lex Luther's smarmily nefarious shoes.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Ashton Kutcher as Superman? :lol:

I know! I think the worse one is Nicholas Cage! :yuck: He was the serious contender for the role in the mid-late-90s!! I can't imagine that AT ALL.

Sounds like it'd be cool in 3D IMAX. I'm a little concerned about needing an "onscreen cue" to put on the glasses. What are they gonna do, have a Superman 'S' appear in the corner of the screen? Seems a little corny.. :shrug:

The thing about this movie which I am already PO'ed about is Lois Lane has a kid with another dude. WTF?!?! Where the hell did this come from and why did DC give it the ok? Is this an imaginary story or elseworlds version?

I would rather not see comics in film anymore if they decide to go off in a totally different direction than the books. I heard the latest X-men also takes huge liberties with the characters.

Eh. I'd go see it just because it seems like a good, fun, summer movie to see in the theatre with a friend.

Newsweek preview

Movies: The Big Guy's Back. We Missed Him.
Newsweek

June 26, 2006 issue - There was headscratching and second-guessing when director Bryan Singer announced he was abandoning his wildly popular "X-Men" franchise to make "Superman Returns." Would the Man of Steel fly for a new generation of moviegoers? Could Singer resurrect the series Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve revitalized in 1978, which sputtered out in 1987, three sequels later?

Singer did the right thing. From the start of this gorgeously crafted epic, you can feel that Singer has real love and respect for the most foursquare comics superhero of them all, as well as a reverence for the Donner version, which serves as his visual and emotional template. In "Superman Returns" (written by Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris from a story they cooked up with Singer), the caped crusader for truth, justice, etc. (Brandon Routh) returns to crime-ridden Earth after a five-year detour amid the remains of his home planet. Back in Metropolis—where, as Clark Kent, he gets his old Daily Planet job back—he learns that Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth) has a nice, good-looking live-in boyfriend (James Marsden) and a son, and, to add insult to heartbreak, has won a Pulitzer Prize for her article "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman." Also back from a stint behind bars is master criminal Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey) with heinous plans to create a new continent (don't ask) at the expense of several million lives.

Singer aroused a feeling that I, as a victim of Chronic Summer Superhero Fatigue Syndrome, wasn't expecting: I felt happy to have Superman back, as if I'd actually missed the guy. You know that you are in the presence of kitsch of a very high order when a comic-book romance can actually produce a lump in your throat. Newcomer Routh may or may not be a real actor, but he effortlessly lays claim to the iconic role, just as Reeve did. Indeed, he virtually duplicates Reeve in the way he plays Kent as a diffident, awkward Midwestern colt. Singer cleverly doles out his hero in small portions, so that we're left, like all those awestruck admirers in Metropolis, wanting more glimpses of him than we get.

The movie follows form by making Lex Luthor a comic menace. Spacey, who can do ironic megalomania in his sleep, has a decidedly lighter touch than Gene Hackman. Both he, and Parker Posey as his moll, are great fun to watch. But Luthor's evil schemes are the most nonsensical and forgettable aspects of the movie. Singer's real forte is lyricism. This "Superman," which infuses its action with poetry, soars as a love story filled with epic yearnings, thwarted desires and breathtaking imagery: Lois, spied on with her lover's X-ray vision, ascending in a skyscraper's elevator; Superman, zapped with kryptonite, descending silently and helplessly through space. (If Jean Cocteau had directed $200 million action movies, they might have looked a little like this.) Next to Singer's champagne, most recent superhero adventure movies are barely sparkling cider.

—David Ansen

Ok, I heard of a possible twist in the story which I am ok with and could make the movie more bearable.

The trailer looks great especially the "bullet in the eye" at the end.:drool:

I don't know how many different trailers they have for this movie but the only one I've seen I found a little interesting.

Was it just me or did it seem like there was Christ-figure imagery going on there?

At the end when Jor-El (I believe) says in the voice over "And that is why I am sending you, my only son" And I'm waiting for "that whosever believeth in you. . ."

Maybe it was just me. . .

Anyway, I just have a feeling the movie is going to be a disappointment.

it's getting *rave* reviews.

cut and pasted from Drudge:

NEWSWEEK: SUPERMAN 'soars as a love story filled with epic yearnings'...

VARIETY: 'Artistic elegance'...

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: 'A man of complex emotions'...

Kevin Spacey is Lex Luthor? Should be interesting to see how he does vs Gene Hackman as the "first" movie Luthor.

But...Christopher Reeve IS Superman IMO. And in the trailor I missed the music theme from the early movies.

Agreed, maycocksean.

I'm really looking forward to it now

(AP)"Superman Returns," which opens in the United States next week, is receiving knock-out first reviews from critics, with newcomer Brandon Routh tipped to win over audiences as the latest crime-fighting "Man of Steel."

Hollywood's two trade newspapers, Daily Variety and Hollywood Reporter, gave the movie strong reviews, with The Reporter describing it as "a heartfelt Superman movie that plays to a broad audience thanks to an emotionally troubled Man of Steel."

Daily Variety critic Todd McCarthy said director Bryan Singer had imprinted the Warner Bros. movie with its own personality. "'Superman Returns' is never self-consciously hip, ironic, post-modern or camp. To the contrary, it's quite sincere, with an artistic elegance," he said.

Routh won praise for his apparent effortlessness -- with his resemblance to Superman predecessor, the late Christopher Reeve, not going unnoticed.

The movie's plot has Superman returning to Earth following a mysterious absence of several years. Back home, an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all while the superhero's great love, Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth), has moved on -- or has she?

Newsweek said Singer, who left the popular "X-Men" franchise to make "Superman Returns," did the right thing from the start of "this gorgeously crafted epic" by showing respect for the most foursquare comic superheroes of them all.

The magazine added that "Routh may or may not be a real actor, but he effortlessly lays claim to the iconic role, just as Reeve did. Indeed, he virtually duplicates Reeve in the way he plays Kent as a diffident, awkward Midwestern colt."

"Next to Singer's champagne, most recent superhero adventure movies are barely sparkling cider."

Time magazine said Singer and writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris had revived and revised the story's premise. "The result is an action adventure that's as thrilling for what it means as for what is shows," Time said."

Yeah, I'm getting genuinely excited now. The key to making this work---just as it was with Spider-Man, X-Men, and Batman Begins---is to make Superman an emotionally complex character. That's what Brian Singer does well, and it seems to be what he's done with Superman.

From what I've heard, Brandon Routh does Clark almost exactly as Chris Reeve did---which is great. He's as much of a come-from-nowhere choice for the role as Reeve was, which I'm hoping will work just as well.

Fingers crossed....!

Back
Top Bottom