Superman Returns - The new Superman movie - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:31 PM
http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart...6-06-28&p=.htm

Superman Returns raked in $21 million on Wednesday, which includes grosses from Tuesday night preview showings. Its opening day ranks as the 29th highest-grossing ever and eighth when counting only Wednesday starts.

Among distributor Warner Bros.' franchise resurrections, the mega-budget Man of Steel's opening Wednesday flew higher than Batman Begins ($15.1 million) and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines ($16.5 million, including previews). It has been 19 years since the last Superman picture, while moviegoers waited eight and twelve years respectively for new Batman and Terminator pictures.

"Superman Returns defeated our expectations," said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros.' executive vice president and general sales manager. "We were looking at Batman Begins [as a benchmark] and hoping to hit $20 million and we exceeded $20 million." Studio exit polling indicated that 58 percent of the audience was male and that those over and under 25 years old were equally represented.

Superman Returns played on over 8,200 screens across 3,915 theaters, including 76 IMAX locations that generated about $1.2 million of the $21 million gross. Previews were conducted at around 2,500 theaters on Tuesday starting at 10 p.m., which Box Office Mojo estimates accounted for over $4 million of the reported opening day, though Warner Bros. did not reveal that figure. On Friday, the theater count bumps up to 4,065, making it the fourth widest release of all time.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #62
War Child

I enjoyed it. My only problem with it is the miscasting of Kate Bosworth. The Lois Lane of the comics, TV shows, and movies is an aggressive, loud, ballsey "I am woman, I can do anything" type gal (and it gets her in trouble!). Bosworth, on the other hand, is just "there".

Old 06-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #63
Babyface

Local Time: 04:31 AM
I liked the movie but now I have to go see it on IMAX--oh yeah!!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 12:31 AM
I liked it. Not as good as the Christopher Reeve versions, but it's not really fair to compare them. As a stand alone movie, it was good though .

I thought the guy who played the fiance was . I want Lois to wind up with him, he rocked .
Old 07-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #65
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:31 PM
i find it funny that lois is in love with another superhero actor. james marsden aka scott summers aka cyclops from x-men

she certainly has a type
Old 07-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

i really liked the movie.

i thought it was fun, funnier than everyone else seems to think, though i did think Kate Bosworth was totally miscast (and all the leads seemed to be far too young).

i also think that everyone is looking at Superman 1 and Superman 2 with way, way too much nostalgia. i loved those films as a child, but they have not aged well at all (compared to, say, Star Wars, Jaws, and Indiana Jones) and are almost unwatchable today. way too campy, way too cheesy. i liked that this one had a gentle spirit, and i identified with Superman's loneliness -- he was soulful and sad, just like an alien burdened with enormous responsibility would be. and i thought the visuals were amazing, as gorgeous as anything i've seen in a movie.

was it a great movie? no, too long and tedious in certain parts, but i thought it took the spirit of the originals and did a great job updating it and making Superman -- the squarest and least interesting of all the superheros -- relevant in the 21st century and giving his character much more depth than the films from the 1970s.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:08 AM   #67
War Child

interesting that you should say that all the leads seemed to be far too young. i thought the same too, but then i learned that christopher reeve was the same age as routh when the first superman film was shot.

kate bosworth is really the only gripe i had. lovely girl, but definitely lacking the spunk and fiestiness that lois has. that said, as i was watching the movie, it occurred to me that sandra bullock around the time of speed would have been a perfect lois lane.

i didn't think i'd like spacey's luthor, but i thought he did a great job. then again, i'd watch him read the back of a cereal box and think it was the greatest thing ever.

as someone whose first movie-star crush was on the cape and tights-sporting reeve, i didn't even want to give routh a chance, but he eventually won me over. singer was wise when he chose to cast an unknown, just as donner had done. routh is no reeve, but he'll do. (i'm absolutely loving that he's from iowa too!)
Old 07-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #68
Acrobat

I saw this movie last night and loved it. I watched Superman 1 and 2 for the first time about a month ago and laughed the whole way through them because I thought they were ridiculous.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:31 AM
I saw this movie yesterday and I loved it. The only issue I had was with Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. I think she was definitely miscast in this.

Brandon Routh
Old 07-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #70
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I thought it was ok. A bit long, and quite predictable, but overall a good movie. *** out of ****.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Pirates will take a big bite out of that next weekend

(Reuters)The sparks were flying at the box-office this Fourth of July holiday as Warner Bros. Pictures' "Superman Returns" avoided the kryptonite of overhype and muscled its way to an estimated gross of $106 million in its first seven days of release.

The first film about the Man of Steel in 19 years, helmed by Bryan Singer and starring Brandon Routh in the role etched upon modern memory by the late Christopher Reeve, was aided by an abundance of positive reviews and favorable exit polls.

Filling the shoes of a successful counterprogramming strategy aimed at females was 20th Century Fox's debuting "The Devil Wears Prada." The PG-13 comedy, starring Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep, was released Friday and walked down the box-office runway with an estimated five-day gross of $39.6 million. Like "Superman," "Prada" generated mostly favorable reviews and positive exit scores.

"Superman" easily captured the top spot during the three-day holiday session as the red-caped superhero flew into 4,065 theaters and left with $52.5 million. Its total box-office through Sunday was $84.5 million.

The PG-13 "Superman" was in 76 Imax theaters, where about 18 minutes of the film were in 3-D, and grossed a record $6.7 million during the seven days. The previous seven-day best for an Imax film was conjured up by "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," with $5.1 million from 66 locations. Even with a higher screen count, the per-theater average for "Superman" was significantly higher than "Goblet of Fire."

SUPERMAN OUTPERFORMS BATMAN

"Superman," which cost about $200 million to produce, represents the second long-dormant franchise to be successfully resurrected by Warners in the past two years, "Batman" being the other.

Comparing the early returns from "Superman" to "Batman Begins," the former is doing better business. After an eight-year theatrical sabbatical, "Batman" also was released on a Wednesday and had a first-weekend gross of $48.7 million, grossed $72.8 million in its first five days and recorded $82 million in its first seven days -- about $24 million less than "Superman." "Batman" ended with a domestic gross of $205.3 million.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:31 PM
I thought it was great! I need to see it again. Brandon Routh is gorgeous Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey were very entertaining. I too thought they could have cast Lois Lane better. For instance, Rachel McAdams would have been perfect as would Reese Witherspoon (although out of their price range).

Oh and the Spiderman trailer has be excited about next summer already, Spidey and Harry Potter
Old 07-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #73
War Child

You can't have sex with Superman because he is an alien.

But Brandon Routh on the other hand......

If I were a woman, I would fantasize about that hunky, stud-muffin of a hottie every single minute.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #74
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Windmilllane
You can't have sex with Superman because he is an alien.

But Brandon Routh on the other hand......

If I were a woman, I would fantasize about that hunky, stud-muffin of a hottie every single minute.

Ya know, the way you go on about "hot" men...

Old 07-06-2006, 05:00 AM   #75
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Pirates will take a big bite out of that next weekend

(Reuters)The sparks were flying at the box-office this Fourth of July holiday as Warner Bros. Pictures' "Superman Returns" avoided the kryptonite of overhype and muscled its way to an estimated gross of $106 million in its first seven days of release.

The first film about the Man of Steel in 19 years, helmed by Bryan Singer and starring Brandon Routh in the role etched upon modern memory by the late Christopher Reeve, was aided by an abundance of positive reviews and favorable exit polls.

Filling the shoes of a successful counterprogramming strategy aimed at females was 20th Century Fox's debuting "The Devil Wears Prada." The PG-13 comedy, starring Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep, was released Friday and walked down the box-office runway with an estimated five-day gross of $39.6 million. Like "Superman," "Prada" generated mostly favorable reviews and positive exit scores.

"Superman" easily captured the top spot during the three-day holiday session as the red-caped superhero flew into 4,065 theaters and left with $52.5 million. Its total box-office through Sunday was $84.5 million.

The PG-13 "Superman" was in 76 Imax theaters, where about 18 minutes of the film were in 3-D, and grossed a record $6.7 million during the seven days. The previous seven-day best for an Imax film was conjured up by "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," with $5.1 million from 66 locations. Even with a higher screen count, the per-theater average for "Superman" was significantly higher than "Goblet of Fire."

SUPERMAN OUTPERFORMS BATMAN

"Superman," which cost about $200 million to produce, represents the second long-dormant franchise to be successfully resurrected by Warners in the past two years, "Batman" being the other.

Comparing the early returns from "Superman" to "Batman Begins," the former is doing better business. After an eight-year theatrical sabbatical, "Batman" also was released on a Wednesday and had a first-weekend gross of $48.7 million, grossed $72.8 million in its first five days and recorded $82 million in its first seven days -- about $24 million less than "Superman." "Batman" ended with a domestic gross of $205.3 million.
I don't know what they're talking about here. Superman's gross is well below expectations and, unlike Batman Begins, word of mouth is not good. There's already talk of Singer being dropped for the sequel.