Superbowl Halftime - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2004, 10:53 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:52 PM
the last words of rock your body refers to getting the girl "naked by the end of this song"

it was done on purpose...

Quote:

from the AP

NEW YORK -- CBS apologized on Sunday for an unexpectedly R-rated end to its Super Bowl halftime show, when singer Justin Timberlake tore off part of Janet Jackson's top, exposing her breast.

"CBS deeply regrets the incident," spokeswoman LeslieAnne Wade said after the network received several calls about the show.

The two singers were performing a flirtatious duet to end the halftime show, and at the song's finish, Timberlake reached across Jackson's leather gladiator outfit and pulled off the covering to her right breast.

The network quickly cut away from the shot, and did not mention the incident on the air.

It was unclear whether Timberlake intended to expose Jackson's breast.

Wade said CBS officials attended rehearsals of the halftime show all week, "and there was no indication any such thing would happen. The moment did not conform to CBS' broadcast standards and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended."

The Super Bowl halftime show, which also featured Puff Daddy, Nelly and Kid Rock, was produced by MTV, CBS' corporate cousin in Viacom.

"We were extremely disappointed by elements of the MTV-produced halftime show," Joe Browne, NFL executive vice president, said. "They were totally inconsistent with assurances our office was given about the content of the show.

"It's unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime."

Old 02-01-2004, 11:00 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

times a million

Old 02-01-2004, 11:00 PM   #18
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
It's pretty sad when Kid Rock has the best performance of the night

true

and I wonder if his wearing the US flag as a poncho is going to get the same flack Bono got for "disrespecting" the flag by wearing it in his jacket lining?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:13 PM   #19
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the last words of rock your body refers to getting the girl "naked by the end of this song"

it was done on purpose...

I wonder if this "press release" within an hour of the "performance" has anything to do with it.

How desperate can you get.

Quote:
Press Release Source: Virgin Records

Hot Off an Incredible Superbowl Performance New Janet Jackson Song 'Just a Little While' Spreads Like Wildfire
Sunday February 1, 9:01 pm ET
Overwhelming Worldwide Demand Prompts Virgin to Immediate Digital Delivery Of Song to Radio Stations Throughout the World
Hotly Anticipated New Album, DAMITA JO, Will Be Released March 30th

NEW YORK, Feb. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- "Just A Little While," a new song from the highly anticipated upcoming Janet Jackson album DAMITA JO, has created a firestorm of interest, starting in the U.S. and quickly spreading throughout the world. Although not officially chosen by the record company as the first single, the unauthorized Internet download of the track has created hysteria, from radio programmers to consumers to Janet's rabid fans. Due to the overwhelming demand and downloading of the single, the infectious song, co- written and produced by proven hitmaker Dallas Austin, will be digitally distributed to radio stations all over the world Monday February 2nd at 7 AM EST.

The song's release comes on the heels of Janet's triumphant return to the spotlight with her performance as the featured artist at today's Super Bowl XXXVIII, where she headlined the spectacular halftime show.

DAMITA JO finds Janet once again working with the hitmaking production team of Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, who have produced every one of her albums since the 1986 breakthrough, Control. The new album also features writer/producers Austin (known for hits with Boyz II Men, Madonna, TLC, and many others); Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds (Toni Braxton, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton); Rich Harrison (whose credits include Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" and Amerie); and hot newcomer Kanye West. DAMITA JO will be released on March 30th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Virgin Records
Old 02-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Thank God!!
Old 02-01-2004, 11:32 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

sorry ABEL...it was real
that is one HUGE boobie.

prolly fake.

great.
now i will not be able to get that boobie out of my head.
*nightmares ahead*
Old 02-01-2004, 11:42 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:52 AM
FCC's got a new scapegoat...

certainly pales the limelight on Bono & Golden Globes.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:07 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:

and I wonder if his wearing the US flag as a poncho is going to get the same flack Bono got for "disrespecting" the flag by wearing it in his jacket lining?

nah...kid rock is american trailer trash rock. that must mean it's a sign of respect.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:18 AM   #24
The Fly

Quote:

x's a million bc I was arguing with my friend about that!!!!

btw my personal opinion Justin tearing off the Janet costume was no way a mistake bc of the last line in the song and you can vividly see him reach across her and tear the thing off her.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:32 AM   #25
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 11:52 AM
yeah i was wondering about the flag too

i bet the FCC is gonna have a field day with the whole halftime show
Old 02-02-2004, 03:02 AM   #26
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Heh..."wardrobe malfunction"...that's a good one!

NEW YORK -- CBS apologized on Sunday for an unexpectedly R-rated end to its Super Bowl halftime show, when singer Justin Timberlake tore off part of Janet Jackson's top, exposing her breast.
"CBS deeply regrets the incident," spokeswoman LeslieAnne Wade said after the network received several calls about the show.

Justin Timberlake said he did not intend to expose Janet Jackson's breast during the halftime show.

The two singers were performing a flirtatious duet to end the halftime show, and at the song's finish, Timberlake reached across Jackson's leather gladiator outfit and pulled off the covering to her right breast.

The network quickly cut away from the shot, and did not mention the incident on the air.

Timberlake said he did not intend to expose Jackson's breast.

"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl," Timberlake said in a statement. "It was not intentional and is regrettable."

Wade said CBS officials attended rehearsals of the halftime show all week, "and there was no indication any such thing would happen. The moment did not conform to CBS' broadcast standards and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended."

The Super Bowl halftime show, which also featured P. Diddy, Nelly and Kid Rock, was produced by MTV, CBS' corporate cousin in Viacom.

"We were extremely disappointed by elements of the MTV-produced halftime show," Joe Browne, NFL executive vice president, said. "They were totally inconsistent with assurances our office was given about the content of the show.

MTV issued a contrite statement in which it also apologized, saying the incident was "unrehearsed, unplanned, completely unintentional and was inconsistent with assurances we had about the content of the performance.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 02-02-2004, 03:23 AM   #27
Refugee

The only thing from the Super Bowl that was prepped more than the Jackson/Timberlake duet was that John Kerry commerical showing him in Vietnam carrying an automatic weapon conveniently in front of a camera.

What I'm curious about is whether or not Pepsi aired that Britany Spears, Pink, Beyonce Knowles commerical where they're dressed as gladiators? Did I miss it?---That was one reason I watched the Bowl game , yet I never saw it!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 04:13 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

www.drudgereport.com

found the link from some other forum
Old 02-02-2004, 09:52 AM   #29
Acrobat

If it was, in fact, a malfunction of sorts, then Janet should seriously fire her costumer: either it was only sewn on by a thread, or Justin has GI Joe grip!

Hafta agree w/ theSoulMofo--my husband and I talked about that same thing: Those "protect families" groups are up the FCC's ass to put HUGE fines on people who mutter offensive language--even in the heat of a great win on live TV--but Justin grinding up Janet's butt is AOK during the halftime show!

I bet the powers that be who said NO to Bono doing another halftime show are kicking themselves now! (or maybe not--I'm guessing that CBS, etc. are owned by the same company that owns Janet's record company and this whole thing will somehow result in *this* Jackson having a good opening week for her next record.) Oh when will the Jacksons go away?
Old 02-02-2004, 11:23 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

This was the first time I've seen Nelly and Kid Rock perform.

As for Janet, her planned stunt was a cheap attempt to get press - her singing (or lip-synching) wasn't going to get her any praise. I hope she pays some of the FCC fines.

Now, a new thought. Michael is accused of pedophilia. Janet is an exhibitionist. Any more sexual dysfunction in the Jackson family?