Sunshine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Imagine if an indie kid, whose brother died of Parkinson disease, who was abused by a preacher, who knows how to use a camera and special effects, decided to make a really interesting and well done film about the sun dying - then you've got Sunshine.

8.5 out of 10.

Seeing this Thursday. I'm still on the fence with Danny Boyle. But maybe this will sway me in the favorable direction.

Wow. What a complete failure of a thread. Shame. Though when I saw this film last night there were only 4 other people in the entire theater outside of my party. It's probably going to bomb here in the states.

But it was a fantastic motion picture.

The imagery consisted of probably the best sci-fi space visuals since 2001: ASO. And there were an almost uncountable number of awesome sci-fi concepts, stylings, plot devices, and truly satisfying tributes to a lot of other sci-fi greats from the past 50 years or so. All of which I had a ball discovering and relating.

It's a modern classic sci-fi film, and the best "space sci-fi" since Aliens. At the same time, it's not perfect. Some of the acting and writing wasn't super-great, and the basic plot wasn't entirely original. But other than that, I have no complaints. I'm especially pleased, because I'm wasn't a big Danny Boyle fan going into this picture. I am now.

9/10

This movie looks really, really, really good, but no one will see it with me.

Rental. :|

LemonMacPhisto said:
This movie looks really, really, really good, but no one will see it with me.

Rental. :|

If you have it in a theater near you, JUST GO ALONE if you have to.

I'm serious man. If you're at all interested in this film, you absolutely HAVE to see this in theaters. It's probably going to end up being THE must-see theater film of the year. Between the visuals, art design, and I forgot to mention SOUND DESIGN, this is a movie-theater film through and through. Don't miss it is you can. Oh god, I can't believe I forgot to talk about the sound design before. It was perfect.

That's what kills me. I'm forcing them to go with me sometime this month.

LemonMacPhisto said:
That's what kills me. I'm forcing them to go with me sometime this month.

Do it. Gag them if you have to. Or tell them you're going to see Die Hard or something like that. That's how I got my one friend to go last night. I said we were seeing Transformers. 44-minute car ride later, muhahahha.

You bite your tongue, Die Hard was a lot of fun.

I might pull a Rush Hour 3... oh wait, Sunshine, bitches!

Strangely, Sunshine is one film where I'd actually reccomend spoiling the ending for yourself. The film takes a very "28 Days Later" - esque unique turn in the third act, that really turned off my friends last night, as well as a lot of people who've seen or reviewed this film. I happened to know where the story was going into the film, and I think I enjoyed it more because of it. Because I got past the "OMG WTF is going on now?" aspect in the third act, and got to really appreciate the sci-fi themes that it was exploring instead.

Is it like if 2/3 through the way of 2001, Khan shows up and fucks shit up?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Is it like if 2/3 through the way of 2001, Khan shows up and fucks shit up?

Not too far off actually.

But it's also sort of like if 2/3 through 2001, there was this crazy LSD lightshow and a portal to a Louis XIV bedroom and then....oh wait. :|

I saw this the day it came out

I enjoyed the first 2/3 a lot - 9/10

i had heard reviewers say the third act may disappoint - so I was prepared

the third act does go a complete different direction
third act gets a 4.5/10 from me.

I do recommend seeing it on big screen
with big sound

this is not - 2001

At the same time, it's good to remembe that the third act, while fairly different in tone, is the most completely logical and progressive place for the story to go. I loved it.

Awesome, I convinced Mama LMP to see it with me. So I'll watch 2001 today, then see Sunshine on Saturday.

Fantastic :up:

Lancemc said:
At the same time, it's good to remembe that the third act, while fairly different in tone, is the most completely logical and progressive place for the story to go. I loved it.

that is only because it was presented to you that way

I can imagine completely different third acts

LemonMacPhisto said:
Awesome, I convinced Mama LMP to see it with me. So I'll watch 2001 today, then see Sunshine on Saturday.

Fantastic :up:

Spectacular.

I'd love to see this movie a second time in theaters too, if that were to be at all possible. It's just so god damn far away in a shitty theater. But it's worth it.

I'll probably go see The Bourne Ultimatum first though.

I described this film to my friends as 2001 meets Alien meets Event Horizon (without the shitty part of that one).

deep said:

that is only because it was presented to you that way

I can imagine completely different third acts

I can't imagine one more personally satisfying anyway. And without getting too much into spoilers here, I felt it was a great way to echo the themes of insanity, isolation, and most importantly sacrifice that we were introduced to in the first two acts, which were always the main themes of the film from the opening scenes.

deep said:
I really liked Mission to Mars

it had a more plausible twist in it's third act

that worked for me

Other than the last last act of Mission To Mars, I just thought that was a shallow, unspectacular, andgenerally mediocre film. Even the last act, while redeeming the film a bit, wasn't that engaging. I mean, I liked it a decent amound, but I can't say I liked the film as a whole.

Also, that said, I personally find the last act of Sunshine to be 10 times more satisfying than the last act of 28 Days Later. That nearly ruins that particular film for me.

I saw Mission to Mars on the big screen
I think one reason I liked it so much
is because I had no idea where it was going

the IMDB score is pretty low 4.8
I wonder if people do not like the concept because it does not mesh with their religious beliefs?

you may recall the Tim Robbins character's demise

there is a parallel scene in Sunshine

I can't even remenber 28 days
and I know it is the same director

but I would compare this film to other space- sci-fi first.

Last edited:
deep said:

you may recall the Tim Robbins character's demise

there is a parallel scene in Sunshine

I can't even remenber 28 days
and I know it is the same director

but I would compare this film to other space- sci-fi first.

1. True. I did notice that. But I didn't like the cheesy way Robbin's character went off. On top of that, the similar scene in Sunshine was more resonant because the motivation for the sacrifice was much more important/grand.

2. I have compared Sunshine to similar sci-fi films first and foremost. It's not as great as a lot of the classics, but I found it also to be mich better than most modern ones as well. But it is fair to compare it to 28 Days Later. Followup picture from the same director and writer, and a couple similar themes as well.

I do tend to follow certain directors
and I do compare their body of work, too.

I think Boyle is good
I have not watched "millions" yet

I do remember I did like 28 days

and whoever did 28 weeks
it was not even 1/3 as good.

Cillian Murphy is an interesting actor
his work in Redeye and Breakfast on Pluto made those films enjoyable.

Cillian Murphy finally proved himself to be a "great" actor in this film for me. I've always liked him, but he's just been on the cusp for me until now.

I didn't like Millions, but I admire what Boyle wanted with the film. I'm a Boyle fan though. Can't wait to see where he goes after this.

Totally amazing, I loved it and all of it's religious symbolism.

It actually made sense, except for the Pinbacker character, unlike The Fountain, which made no sense.

Pinbacker was the stow-away, correct? I never fully caught his name when I watched the film.

If so, I'm still not sure what doesn't make sense about him. :shrug:

Yes, but I didn't understand the superhuman strength at first, or how he could survive 6 and 1/2 years by himself, but now I kind of get it.

Well, he had an entire self-sustaining garden on his ship, so survival was a piece of cake.

As for the strength, I'm assuming you're referring to him lifting up Cappa inside the payload? If so, I just chalk that up to a lot of crazy gravity going on in there. Either that or the dude just spend that last 6 1/2 years doing push-ups.

watched it tonight and have been thinking about it for hours and have that sinking slightly depressed feeling - therefore it was a great movie!

It sort of moved slow in the first half and then went mental in the last half,and a few of the characters were very, unrealistic i'd say, but overall, pretty good!

I just can't imagine being in a situation where you can accept death so easily. Truly humbling!

Lancemc said:
Well, he had an entire self-sustaining garden on his ship, so survival was a piece of cake.

As for the strength, I'm assuming you're referring to him lifting up Cappa inside the payload? If so, I just chalk that up to a lot of crazy gravity going on in there. Either that or the dude just spend that last 6 1/2 years doing push-ups.

True, the whole space/time continuum was playing some crazy tricks at that time.

The rest makes sense, my only remaining issue is how he survived severely burned while Cyrril (sp?) was basically incinerated on the spot in the filter-less Observation Room.

Back
Top Bottom