suggestions for summer work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
OK im starting tp panic because im at home with the flu and my mind is racing.
as some of u may know, im a teacher, and when its summer holidays (which it is in 6 weeks) i dont get a pay cheque as i am a casual (substitute) teacher.
i hardly have time during the school term to search for summer work as im so busy with school.
but today is tarted to panic because im realising its 6 weeks away and i wont have any work from late december till perhaps february.
anyone got any suggestions for the type of work i could look for over a summer?
i go to online sites and all i see are real jobs which need to start working now.
any ideas on work that perhaps isnt always posted in the classfied or online sites?

im at a loss , and paranoid and im not even unemployed yet!

har at ms tractor
and har har at mr pubbie
just cause im an aussie i can surf!
i wish baby!
no, daisy, i work in primary schools so they let the little ones have the summer off hehe

I can picture you as a lifeguard at the nieghborhood public pool:D:up:
Pubster and I would come swimming in our speedos;)
DB9
:)

I'm alreadym stressing about what I'm going to be doing this summer. With the economy slowly crashing, I don't see much opportunity like this past summer for me. :sigh: And I really don't want to go back to Old Navy.

A bunch of my old high school teachers used to get together and paint houses for hire. That always seemed like fun to me! :) They painted a few houses on my street and they always looked like they were having a blast! Other things that my teachers used to do was coach summer sports, teach drivers ed, and teach summer classes at community colleges. I also had one teacher who worked at Eddie Bauer and detassled corn.

Good luck 'manda!

diamond said:
I can picture you as a lifeguard at the nieghborhood public pool:D:up:
Pubster and I would come swimming in our speedos;)
DB9
:)

bwahahaahahahaha
i wouldnt be savin anyone gettin the arse around in speedos. i wouldnt know where to put my hands. :sexywink:
lets have a pic of you and pubbie in speedos in the pic thread please hubba hubba

:eek:
pay u for what? hahahaa

no daisy we dont have that in schools. more holiday vacation centres, and to be honest thats the LAST thing Id want to be doing on my time off. :|

I dont know what your skills are Manda but no one really needs any skills to do fruit picking- it can be great work, but the hours can be very long, but you can make shitloads of money though- I dont know what fruit is in season in the Sydney area over Chrissy but I know that Lychees are huge in my area then- I have done seasons of them when I was at uni- they are very easy to pick (no back-breaking stuff) and they are really yummy and the farm that I worked at was full of back-packers and I met some really interesting and great people...but anyway I dont know if you would want to lower yourself to being a fruit picker but what about the ol'hospitality industry, there must be shitloads of work in that industry in Sydney- waitressing sucks but you can earn good money from it, especially if you get good tips and you keep them...

But whatever work you do get, dont tell them that you will be leaving in Feb as I really dont think anyone will employ someone if they know that they are going to leave soonish, just lie and make out that you are there for the long haul and then when Feb comes say see ya later.....

oh and I just thought of these guys- most shops in shopping centres (I know the Body shop and Myer do) employ extra staff for the busy christmas period- you could try some of them out....

anyway good luck- I so know what it is like to be without work- I went six months once without doing anything, no study or work (the sunshine Coast is apparently Australia's highest unemployed area) and I swear that I went crazy, I cant handle doing nothing, but I imagine that you should find work:)

Last edited:
I know most of our local rags have ads in the classifieds under the services section for things like mushroom picking. Prob is you dont really live near any mushie farms eh? There's a ton out Richmond way which would be a major pain for you to get to as they need you to start at like 6am etc. My sister did it for a while, she said it was good but backbreaking work.

What about working at a swimming pool? You got your bronze medallion? Being a surfer and all!!! Hehehe seriously, I worked one summer at a council pool and it was unreal. The money was awesome and of course you dont pay entry for a summer! Think of all those $2 coins you could save!!!

Retail is shit, are you sure you want to do that? What about being a photographer's assistant at Pixie or something? You are a teacher, you have a photography hobby and skill, xmas season means Grace Bros and others are packed with those comapnies doing the sit on santa's knee shots...we even have the same GB's pics!!!

hey Manda there will probably be a job going at a hydroponic letteuce farm here soon- I quit my job at the farm, only caise I couldnt handle the starts, I was being late almost every day when we were starting at 5am and the start times got progressively earlier (4am over the chrissy/new year period) and the start times were interfering with my social/party life too much- and I cant have that!!!!!

but I guess that if you live in the inner city, well I cant imagine that there would be too many farms about the place...but I guess allof my jobs up here area lways through word of mouth and friends but you can always try centrelink to look for most jobs (it sucks but most jobs go through those crappy job agencies these days) you can try this link below to get daily access to the jobs that come up on the office touchscreens (save ya a trip down to the local doley office):)
http://www.jobsearch.gov.au/

damn, spiral, i dont finish work till dec 19!!!
and the airfare would have been worth it too!
haha
thanks for the offer matey

thanks oz, ill check it out. i went to centrelink once when i was a uni stud to apply for youth study allowance thingie. they knocked me back. :mad:

you know what you should do, manda, you should become a tour guide! I'm totally serious. I did that for one year in San Diego and it was loads of fun. I was no expert, I just went to a company that toured visiting conventioneers and so forth, and I learned mostly on the job. ANYBODY CAN DO IT.

we are in the same boat Amanda...no one rock it for gawdsake

Hub works for TAFE. His job is up for review at the moment,a long unecassarily drawn-out process. Poor man, so much uncertainty,we can only wait. He goes to the fecking college 5 days a week and just about runs the place(seriously over-worked) but still classed as casual....oh I won't start. Woops I did.It really irks me...ANYWAY.We have never gone into the holidays so behind the 8 ball. Paul Keating said we had to tighten our belts, we do really. the rich get richer mate..I SHOULD go se Midnight OIl( I can't, dream on)
I go to the blueberry farm if I have to, or something I really really hate..house-cleaning :madspit: :madspit: :madspit: Some ppl are so fecking arrogant. ANYWAY I would not wish that upon you.
Yep the tractor driving sounded good. A lot of our local younguns head out to the cotton chipping at Moree. Hub has worked on a fish farm for a lunatic. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open. The dreaded barwork, house sitting, ummm wish i knew mate.I hope you get a good one.

My bit of excitement for the day...
I am hoping I can get the old band back together..
"The Detectives"
I just have to get the guitarist/singer to trust me on this. If he doesn't get active and get bookings soon we'll miis out on NYE booking and we rely on that to get us through. So I talked "tough " to the drummer (he's easy) and hub...hmmm easi..........er. Hub said I'll make trouble with the guitarist. I don't want to. I want to make peace and damn fine music and some money is all. I am on a mission...putting the band back together.

possibly , maybe

he always vetoes me. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad: ah well, he's the one with the guitar and the talent. If you read this P, I do care, I really do, u thorny man.
ANYWAY my rave....as I said we are in the exact same boat...or is it a bath tub?

yeehaaaaaaaaa cowgirl.:wave:
good luck

if my hub's beard keeps getting whiter..i told him he'd make a good santa....only until december 25th though. His legs ar etoo skinny, the kids would know. The blueberries will finish soon. They are always looking for cotton chippers.
Go for indoor work maybe. it is going to be a very hot summer I think. "Rx, stay out of the sun" Bit tricky that isn't it, but less is best if you can. So if you do become a lifeguard and you just have to wear a Pammy inspired swimsuit...slip. slop, slap or wit till the sun goes down.
** cass gives Zoomanda a big broaded brimmed mighty fine looking white cowgirl hat.....fine straw for summer.....a nd keep up the H two OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

zooropamanda said:
thanks oz
i was actually thinking about something like fruit picking. it might be fun!
i wouldnt even know where to look for work like that though. any tips?

Come to victoria! We have all sorts of fruity types down here ;)

Areas for fruit:
citrus/peaches griffith shepparton etc
apples: batlow beechworth
tropical: queensland
Why not a winery? Ne vic, hunter valley, barossa

how about retail summer work:
Book Store
Independent music store (use your wide knowledge)
are you near sydney airport? They would have jobs all the time.
why not work at a venue/pub that has music playing, it might be crappy work but you could get to see some cool live acts...

in summers gone by i worked at a cheese factory and delivering parcels for australia post. You could try them i guess?

I would start looking now and do a few late or weekend shifts so you can move to more regular times from the 19th.

just some ideas...

thanks zoom
hehe i just figured it out ;)

pubbie...dont u have to speak japanese to do that? all our tourists are japanese mainly!

thank you everyone. such wonderful ideas and im going to try some of them out. :hug:

what!!! this thread is not closed?

couldn't resist...the two threads I have logged on each day to read...have been closed when I got here.?..something I have not seen here for a while

First up Amanda:hug: I am sorry about the death in your family. It was a sad day for me yesterday too( I'm in that age group where I have to start going to lots of funerals)...my dad's last friend who went to Palestine with him in the WW2 died a couple of weeks ago...dad is the last of the NC 2/1st Pioneers...that can't feel too good. So I'm just a beginner at loss and I cry too easily, I worry about upsetting the widow even more)

I saw something last nigth that is a bit of a worry. The guiatrist from our band has a jazz ensemble, they played at the cathedral concert. They are very very VERY good. I think he has other plans, it's very touch and go at the moment.

He sang THE most beautiful original song "walk in my shoes" I nearly fell off my pew. I hope he records it..He is getting a web site with mp3's together. He is very talented.
Anyway hub and I might have to. become.....

bavarian slap dancers!!!

deadset, the things ppl have to do to make a quid these days. I saw an ancient couple at the jacaranda festival recently, busking with that act.I thought what a dangerous way to make money on a 40 degree celcius day.

You'll find it, so will I:wave:

u know what hub said to me recently.............here we go ZC time again, but I have been worried.
He said
"I meant it when I said, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health." He doesn't say a lot, and is often so busy he only has time to notice the things I do wrong...but that meant a lot to me. I'm not sure how he is planning on doing it...the fish farm? god I hope not.
We believe in a thing called "the flow" it often appears and rescues us in our darkest hour. He was that close to working in a sawmill a few years back, all I could think was "his fingers!!"( he's a bass player) So many men around here have missing fingers and hands, It was dreadful. The day before he started at the mill, the funding for the music college was announced. PHEW.

Go with the flow mate...good luck

:wave:

PS: I saw James during the week, th eyoung drummer who was unceremoniously sacked from the band recently. he was a bit hurt he said, but took it in his stride. his parting words pleased me
He said
" it will be Ok, I feel there are opportunities ahead for me to prosper":up: James

will this get the thread closed...? I know deathbear just loves it when I start on the "he said, she said " stuff

and he said and then I said btw, ppl said, he said she said he said i say i say i say:bow:

Back
Top Bottom