Suggestions for avoiding jury duty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
No, this question is not for me but my mother-in-law - she is 56 years old, has been called to jury duty 5 times in the past and was picked to be on the jury 4 of those times. The one time she was excused was because she knew one of the lawyers personally.

She doesn't want to be chosen again but doesn't want to lie, e.g. she won't lie and say she is racist. I suggested not doing her hair and dressing like a slob so she looks uninterested. The instructions say not to wear jeans but it doesn't seem like that would be a horrible rule to break, showing she doesn't follow directions and would be a bad juror. Any other ideas? :sexywink:

Pretend that you don't know the first thing about law, maybe? :shrug:
... like not even basic stuff everyone knows about... act totally dumb. :wink:

I was picked for the GRAND JURY! ... I've yet to receive the money they said I'd get. dammit! I'm broke!!:mad: :mad:

...to answer your question:

Go to the jury selection and, as soon as there's a bit of an awkard silence, get up and scream

"I WANNA PUNCH A PUPPY IN THE FACE!!!!!!"

If that doesn't work, nothing will...

best of luck!

I had jury duty twice and fell asleep both times because I don't function well during morning hours and was dismised both times. I guess they did'nt appreaicate the loud snoring while court was in session. :shrug:

As a former cop they don't want me; as an insurance investigator, they don't want me...I've never been seated...I tell everyone to write..."if the bastard is here, the SOB gotta be guilty!" You'll be home soon enough!!!!!

:up:

If you're a guy, and you have long hair(as in ponytail long) - having facial hair as well only helps - they won't pick you because it's supposed to mean you're an independent thinker. I have both and I was dismissed when I had jury duty in July.

Of course this is of no help for MrBaw's mother-in-law.

Zootlesque said:
Pretend that you don't know the first thing about law, maybe? :shrug:
... like not even basic stuff everyone knows about... act totally dumb. :wink:

It's actually better to pretend that you know everything about law. Prosecutors and defense attorneys equally dislike educated people.

She should mention that she's an avid viewer of "CSI." The prosecutor will probably move to dismiss her, because the show has often lead to more demanding juries who expect a higher burden of proof based upon forensic evidence techniques that are often way too expensive for most communities.

Melon

Another thing is this: I don't know what the mother-in-law's profession is, but if it's anything to do with engineering or computers or math or anything like this, say so because lawyers frequently dismiss people in these types of professions because these people use logic a lot in their professions and lawyers don't people who use loads of logic on their juries.

bonosloveslave said:
I don't know if it would help or hurt her to mention that her daughter and son-in-law are both lawyers :hmm:

I would definitely have her make mention of that--ANY tie to the case in any way might get her excused, or to say she cares for an elderly parent or relative, or to find ANY similarity to the case. It would be great if she were to recognize one of the attorneys ir the judge! Good luck!

The last time I was called, I told them:

1. My husband is a retired police officer

2. My brother in law is a retired police officer

3. My nephew is a current police officer

4. My husband and brother in law both knew the defense attorney

5. The arresting officer has the same first and last name as my husband

6. The arresting officer wrote my stepdaughter a speeding ticket

I still got picked :crack:

And I have to go again in October :scream:

bonosloveslave said:

I know :crack:

I get picked every 18 to 24 months on average. I think October will be my 5th time. They should just give me my own reserved spot in the jury room :angry:

timothius said:
Dress normal.

Then while being viewed by the lawyers begin to shot & scream random phrases out of nowhere.

you mean like Tourette's syndrome?

Maybe just start falling asleep or nodding off while they ask questions, or even before. Yeah, narcolepsy :yawn:

Back
Top Bottom