Suggestions for avoiding jury duty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I told them I was a single mother of two and I lived paycheck to paycheck and could not afford to be at jury duty :reject:

melon said:

It's actually better to pretend that you know everything about law. Prosecutors and defense attorneys equally dislike educated people.

She should mention that she's an avid viewer of "CSI." The prosecutor will probably move to dismiss her, because the show has often lead to more demanding juries who expect a higher burden of proof based upon forensic evidence techniques that are often way too expensive for most communities.

Melon

Exactly. Lawyers do not want jurors who second guess everything they do.

Well she got out of it without having to say anything at all - they ended up settling the case before she got in there so everyone was dismissed :)

I'll hang on to these ideas in case my turn comes up :shifty:

not really related. but someone I know was sopenaed and he told them he was suicidal and if they made him go he would kill himself.

that is extreme, granted...

I got called in for selection this past April. I e-mailed the person on the summons and she let me defer it because I had missed so much school from being sick all semester. She said you can't defer b/c you're a student, but everyone gets I think 2 deferrals before you're forced to show up for selection. Sure enough, I got another summons in June and decided to get it over with. They were picking for 5 trials and my name didn't even get drawn until the last one and I stayed on even though my uncle runs the local prison and my other uncle is a retired DNR officer. It was weird b/c they ran out of people and the defendant agreed to a five person jury (usually there's 6 and one alternate). I went back on the court date and he plead guilty at the very last minute. I was mad b/c I'm kinda interested in the legal system (taken some business law and criminal investigation classes). Then a few weeks later my mom calls to tell me the guy was found dead and his death was suspicious (he was going on trial for domestic violence). Weird. Anyway, I'm not sure how to get out of it besides asking if you can defer or intentionally getting yourself dismissed.

My sister's best friend's dad had the misfortune of being the foreman on a jury that heard the case of a 17 year old kid who raped his 15 year old sister, then killed her, then killed his much younger sister, then killed his mom. Not only that, but the poor man was still recovering from that duty when he witnessed a serious crime at a gas station and then had to go back in court as a witness.

Last edited:
I've had jury duty twice. The last time about 2 years ago there were 4 men on trial. Each man had 10 charges each. 2 were all ready in jail as they wore the same clothes everyday!
A few months ago 3 people from work and my sisters fiance all had dury duty within weeks of each other! My Mum also got called in again but she got out of it. I'll probably get called up again.

I got called for jury duty, sent in the request for excuse for financial reasons, it's been 5 months, I was supposed to go in May. I even called in April, because I got all paranoid, might try and find me or something, they said just wait till I get a response.

Still waiting.

Back
Top Bottom