Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
I need to come up with some new songs. These are to be performed at the Dal U Pub (the Grawood) on Open Mic night. I did a couple of these at open mics at high school and they seemed to go over pretty well.

Anyways what exactly is it? It's arranging synth-poppy 80's songs into really slow acoustic guitar ballads. People are totally perplexed for the first verse or so until they hear the chorus and they start laughing cause they finally recognize it.

I did "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears in high school (as well as "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg, but that's been done before). I need some more suggestions of which songs I can do though. Here are the criteria for a successful song:

- Must be written and released in the period of 1979-1991
- Must be a song with synthesizers
- Must be adaptable to guitar and one voice
- Must be a song with a recognizable-by-most chorus

So fire away.

And thank you. I'll be sure to dedicate the song to you. :up:

PS: I actually recorded the Hungry Like the Wolf and Everybody Wants to Rule the World arrangements...I could post 'em if anybody wants to hear them...

Guess I'm not "most." I've never even heard "The Message" by Grand Master Flash (and don't Grand Master Flash either).

So tell me...should I feel good? bad? just plain old?

Last edited:
indra, I bet you would recognise it if you heard it
"don't push me 'cause i'm close to the edddddddddge....huh huh huuh" :laugh:
we wish eh?

I didn't recognize the song when I downloaded it...

Keep in mind that most of the people I'll be singing for will have been at the most 7 years old in 1990.

cass said:
indra, I bet you would recognise it if you heard it
"don't push me 'cause i'm close to the edddddddddge....huh huh huuh" :laugh:
we wish eh?

Still doesn't ring any bells! Awww...you know I'm gonna have to listen to it now...just to see if I have ever heard it!

cujo[/i] [B]The Message- Grand Master Flash[/B][/quote] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DaveC said:
I didn't recognize the song when I downloaded it...

Keep in mind that most of the people I'll be singing for will have been at the most 7 years old in 1990.

Interesting.

I was 7 years old in 1990.

I bought my first house in 1990 :ohmy:

Possible songs:

Whip It - Devo
Heart of Glass - Blondie (many other Blondie songs too)
Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
Wild Wildlife - Talking Heads

Good luck :up:

Back
Top Bottom