Sugar Tit, SC superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape2 said:

Pure Reason Revolution. They are a prog band Axver introduced me to. Think Pink Floyd meets Medievil festival.

is medievil festival a band or are you using the phrase to reference a style? :reject:

Axver said:

I've long since lost confidence in being able to introduce anyone to music they'll like. That's part of why I did DI IV like I did. Nobody's going to like my stuff anyway, so fuck my no metal rule.

I would dispute this. I think quite a few things you've introduced have gone over well for at least a few people. As I recall, your DI2 playlist in particular was very well-received and introduced several people to new things.

By the way, I'm still convinced to this day that Bruce didn't sing Hungry Heart.

phillyfan26 said:

This re-listening has been fantastic. Thanks again for that.

The River is an absolute tour de force.

You see, I quite enjoy The River, but it seems quite a few people around here think it is hit or miss. Sure, there are a few songs that don't work as well (for example, Jackson Cage isn't a favorite of mine), but for the most part, there are a ton of classic songs on it.

The outtakes (many of which are on Tracks) are just as good and in some cases even better (see Loose Ends).

phanan said:

Well, he did originally write it for The Ramones.

Well, yeah, I just mean his vocals are so high. I know the actual reasoning (so they say) is that they sped his vocals up, giving his voice a higher pitch, but I think that's just made up.

Regarding your list, pfan...

God Is An Astronaut - the newest album is Far From Refuge. I'd start with either that or the album just before it, All Is Violent, All Is Bright. Both are excellent.

The Police - they are all good. My favorite is Zenyatta Mondatta.

Led Zeppelin - IV is the famous one, and obviously one of the best. I personally like III, Houses Of The Holy, and Physical Graffiti.

Rolling Stones - they reached their apex with these four albums, all in a row - Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile On Main Street. Choose any and your fine. My favorite is Sticky Fingers.

Coldplay - they get bashed way too much here. Yes, the last album (X&Y) wasn't as good, but the first two are great (Parachutes, A Rush Of Blood To The Head). I prefer the second one.

Queen - A Night At The Opera was already mentioned, but is the best one. Queen II and A Day At The Races are also good early albums to try out. From the 80's onward, the albums are hit or miss. I tend to enjoy A Kind Of Magic. Also, the last album, Innuendo, is fantastic (the title track starts off my DI entry).

Joy Division - they only released a couple of albums, so just get them both.

Pearl Jam - the first one, Ten, is the most popular and still very good, although I tend to like Vitalogy more. The self-titled release a couple of years ago is also very strong.

REM - my favorite is still the first one, Murmur. But you can't go wrong with any of the early ones, especially Document and Life's Rich Pageant. Automatic For The People is obviously a classic, too.

Varitek said:
what do you guys think of Fuel? i'm just listening to Something LIke Human and i'm highly unimpressed

The only thing I recall from that band was that awful song Hemorrhage In My Hands, or something like that, from like back in 2000 or so. I never bothered after that.

phanan said:
The only thing I recall from that band was that awful song Hemorrhage In My Hands, or something like that, from like back in 2000 or so. I never bothered after that.
thank you, i've been trying to think of what i knew by them. i was getting them confused with filter :huh: who i don't really care for either.

phanan said:
Meh, they all sound the same anyway... :wink:
hehe, exactly! and i've noticed over the past ten or so years, there's a trend with band names.

in the late 90s, it was noun/number (like matchbox 20, three doors down)

in the early 00s, it was one word names (like lit, filter, fuel, etc.)

a couple years ago, the trend was the nouns, and also the adjective nouns. such as the flaming lips, the white stripes, etc.

maybe it's just me :shrug:

Oh, and there was some discussion previously about when the next DI would start. I don't like to have them go too close together, because it can get to be a bit of overkill. I'd give it a couple of months - perhaps July or so.

It would be good to have all of the tracklists come out during summer, because I'd have a lot of time to listen then.

KhanadaRhodes said:

hehe, exactly! and i've noticed over the past ten or so years, there's a trend with band names.

in the late 90s, it was noun/number (like matchbox 20, three doors down)

in the early 00s, it was one word names (like lit, filter, fuel, etc.)

a couple years ago, the trend was the nouns, and also the adjective nouns. such as the flaming lips, the white stripes, etc.

maybe it's just me :shrug:

Never noticed myself, but I can see what you're saying.

You missed Creed for one word names. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom