Sugar Tit, SC superthread - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #316
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Sounds good.

One hugely baffling U2 moment to me is that they included TTYW on JT but left off Spanish Eyes.

And the entire RAH tracklist is baffling.
Most of their tracklisting and setlist choices are strange. And they're poor judges of their own songs, as shown by some of their filler tracks compared to their B-sides.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #317
Blue Crack Supplier

TTYW would have fit pretty well on RAH with Heartland and Silver and Gold.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #318
The Male

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Most of their tracklisting and setlist choices are strange. And they're poor judges of their own songs, as shown by some of their filler tracks compared to their B-sides.
All bands have this "problem". Just look at how X&Y was handled, or how Oasis' The Masterplan is superior to anything they've made in 10 years. And often, as with Mercy in EYKIW, the praise of some b-sides or demos just gets inflated due to their rarity.

Now.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #319
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't mean songs like Mercy. I mean high quality B-sides that most people agree are very good. The Unforgettable Fire era being the ideal example.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #320
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Both songs are equally throwaway and would feel out of character for the album, but one is far less repetitive. They made the right choice.
Luckily, you and U2 are the only people who think this.

Spanish Eyes should have not just been on JT, but been a single. It would have been a MASSIVE hit.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #321
The Male

Quote:

Luckily, you and U2 are the only people who think this.

Spanish Eyes should have not just been on JT, but been a single. It would have been a MASSIVE hit.
No offense, Axver, but I don't think you're the best person here to judge commercial appeal.

Now.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #322
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I don't mean songs like Mercy. I mean high quality B-sides that most people agree are very good. The Unforgettable Fire era being the ideal example.
Oh yeah, now there's a baffling era.

- The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling relegated to an EP.
- The worst instrumental of the lot, 4th Of July, makes the album. Bass Trap doesn't.
- EPAA, which would have been an interesting b-side, makes the album.
- All in all, the album is much shorter than it ever should've been.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #323
Vocal parasite

Quote:

No offense, Axver, but I don't think you're the best person here to judge commercial appeal.
You're kidding yourself if you don't think Spanish Eyes is immensely catchy. Now there's a radio hit.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #324
The Male

Quote:
Oh, that I can agree with. 4th of July over Bass Trap? Indian Summer Sky over Boomerang II? Elvis Presley And America over Love Comes Tumbling or The Three Sunrises? Ouch.

Now.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #325
Vocal parasite

I'd place Indian Summer Sky at least level with Boomerang II. I've never quite understood why this forum in general isn't so keen on it. It has great atmosphere, with a nice touch of darkness about it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #326
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Oh yeah, now there's a baffling era.

- The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling relegated to an EP.
- The worst instrumental of the lot, 4th Of July, makes the album. Bass Trap doesn't.
- EPAA, which would have been an interesting b-side, makes the album.
- All in all, the album is much shorter than it ever should've been.
The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, Bass Trap, and Boomerang II all should have definitely been on the album:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Pride (In the Name of Love)
3. Wire
4. Indian Summer Sky
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Boomerang II
9. Bass Trap
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Bad
Old 05-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #327
Blue Crack Supplier

I've likened up to ISS. It also fits well with Wire.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #328
The Male

Quote:
I'd place Indian Summer Sky at least level with Boomerang II. I've never quite understood why this forum in general isn't so keen on it. It has great atmosphere, with a nice touch of darkness about it.
I just feel it doesn't fit well on the album AT ALL. The lyrical connection is there, but the sound isn't. You could say the same about Wire, but I find it difficult to bash that song because it's so awesome.

And you're right; UF should have been much longer. The sound of UF meshes well with that brand of free-spirited sprawl.

Now.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #329
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I just feel it doesn't fit well on the album AT ALL. The lyrical connection is there, but the sound isn't. You could say the same about Wire, but I find it difficult to bash that song because it's so awesome.

And you're right; UF should have been much longer. The sound of UF meshes well with that brand of free-spirited sprawl.
Well, sonically, its position on the tracklisting is a bit funny. It's like they decided they needed something that rocked a little on the second side, so they just tossed ISS there without any consideration for whether or not it fit there. I think if you worked with the tracklisting a bit, you could get ISS to fit in rather nicely. If it were near Wire, ASOH, and Boomerang II, it would make sense.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #330
The Male

Quote:

Well, sonically, its position on the tracklisting is a bit funny. It's like they decided they needed something that rocked a little on the second side, so they just tossed ISS there without any consideration for whether or not it fit there. I think if you worked with the tracklisting a bit, you could get ISS to fit in rather nicely. If it were near Wire, ASOH, and Boomerang II, it would make sense.
Yeah, the sequencing hurts ISS more than its own sound. I'm probably biased though because I've never cared for it. It's a shame that they never played it enough live for it to improve its reputation; they basically left it for dead.

Now.

Tags
superthread