Sugar Tit, SC superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
"...............morning .............. dawning.........."

"How long?"

"....."

"How long?"

"....one dull morning! Woke the world with bawling! I was so sad"

"......"

"They were so glad."

:lmao:

I think the ultimate U2 technology failure was when Edge's guitar died in EBTTRT at one of the ZooTV Tokyo gigs, so they played on without him for about half the song.

Axver said:
Oh COME ON. He was intentionally tricking Screwtape and leading him on with fake sincerity. That is inherently malicious.

I know what his motives were.

Axver said:

I think the ultimate U2 technology failure was when Edge's guitar died in EBTTRT at one of the ZooTV Tokyo gigs, so they played on without him for about half the song.

I've never heard that. Been interested to hear what the band would sound like without their most important piece.

See you later, Maj. and PFan! :wave:

I've got about 90 minutes ahead of me that I will hopefully put to productive use on essays. Whee.

phillyfan26 said:

I know what his motives were.

Whatever they purportedly may have been, actions speak louder than words. And that was one of his lowest moments.

phillyfan26 said:

I've never heard that. Been interested to hear what the band would sound like without their most important piece.

I'm not sure I have an MP3 on hand, but I'm sure one wouldn't be too hard to find. I can't recall if you can use U2Start nowadays. If not, I know where I can dig one up for you if it's not handy on my computer.

Can't help myself... must mock...

"Twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight ...."

From the lyrical genius that gave us "IN THIS TOWN IN THIS TOWN IN THIS TOWN" ....

*gone*

Alisaura said:
Can't help myself... must mock...

"Twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight ...."

From the lyrical genius that gave us "IN THIS TOWN IN THIS TOWN IN THIS TOWN" ....

*gone*

Isn't it AWESOME? In the most horribly, incompetently, over-enthusiastically bad way?

Though it stuns me that they used that as Another Day's b-side rather than the intended track, The Dream Is Over. Of all the baffling decisions in U2 history, that's up there in the top five.

:wave:

Fastest mass ever by the Monsignor.

We have three priests: Monsignor (long homilies and/or guest speakers - 65 minutes), Father Fast Mass (40 minutes), and Guest Priest (60-70 minutes).

Monsignor turned in a 45 today.

Axver said:

Isn't it AWESOME? In the most horribly, incompetently, over-enthusiastically bad way?

Though it stuns me that they used that as Another Day's b-side rather than the intended track, The Dream Is Over. Of all the baffling decisions in U2 history, that's up there in the top five.

:wave:

I'll be there's more than that.

We should compile a list of baffling U2 moments. Here, though, not in EYKIW, where it would blow up and/or get closed.

phillyfan26 said:

Well, that whole thing kind of came out of his huge hope for Vazza and I. He found out that she goes to college in my area, and his whole intent was that.

:lol: That's very........cute. Let's go with that that.

phillyfan26 said:

I'll be there's more than that.

We should compile a list of baffling U2 moments. Here, though, not in EYKIW, where it would blow up and/or get closed.

:lol:

Sounds good.

One hugely baffling U2 moment to me is that they included TTYW on JT but left off Spanish Eyes.

And the entire RAH tracklist is baffling.

Axver said:

One hugely baffling U2 moment to me is that they included TTYW on JT but left off Spanish Eyes.

Both songs are equally throwaway and would feel out of character for the album, but one is far less repetitive. They made the right choice.

Axver said:

:lol:

Sounds good.

And the entire RAH tracklist is baffling.

Most of their tracklisting and setlist choices are strange. And they're poor judges of their own songs, as shown by some of their filler tracks compared to their B-sides.

phillyfan26 said:

Most of their tracklisting and setlist choices are strange. And they're poor judges of their own songs, as shown by some of their filler tracks compared to their B-sides.

All bands have this "problem". Just look at how X&Y was handled, or how Oasis' The Masterplan is superior to anything they've made in 10 years. And often, as with Mercy in EYKIW, the praise of some b-sides or demos just gets inflated due to their rarity.

I don't mean songs like Mercy. I mean high quality B-sides that most people agree are very good. The Unforgettable Fire era being the ideal example.

LemonMelon said:

Both songs are equally throwaway and would feel out of character for the album, but one is far less repetitive. They made the right choice.

Luckily, you and U2 are the only people who think this.

Spanish Eyes should have not just been on JT, but been a single. It would have been a MASSIVE hit.

Axver said:

Luckily, you and U2 are the only people who think this.

Spanish Eyes should have not just been on JT, but been a single. It would have been a MASSIVE hit.

:lol: No offense, Axver, but I don't think you're the best person here to judge commercial appeal. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
I don't mean songs like Mercy. I mean high quality B-sides that most people agree are very good. The Unforgettable Fire era being the ideal example.

Oh yeah, now there's a baffling era.

- The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling relegated to an EP.
- The worst instrumental of the lot, 4th Of July, makes the album. Bass Trap doesn't.
- EPAA, which would have been an interesting b-side, makes the album.
- All in all, the album is much shorter than it ever should've been.

LemonMelon said:

:lol: No offense, Axver, but I don't think you're the best person here to judge commercial appeal. :wink:

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Spanish Eyes is immensely catchy. Now there's a radio hit.

phillyfan26 said:

Oh, that I can agree with. 4th of July over Bass Trap? Indian Summer Sky over Boomerang II? Elvis Presley And America over Love Comes Tumbling or The Three Sunrises? Ouch.

I'd place Indian Summer Sky at least level with Boomerang II. I've never quite understood why this forum in general isn't so keen on it. It has great atmosphere, with a nice touch of darkness about it. :drool:

Axver said:
Oh yeah, now there's a baffling era.

- The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling relegated to an EP.
- The worst instrumental of the lot, 4th Of July, makes the album. Bass Trap doesn't.
- EPAA, which would have been an interesting b-side, makes the album.
- All in all, the album is much shorter than it ever should've been.

The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, Bass Trap, and Boomerang II all should have definitely been on the album:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Pride (In the Name of Love)
3. Wire
4. Indian Summer Sky
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Boomerang II
9. Bass Trap
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Bad

Axver said:
I'd place Indian Summer Sky at least level with Boomerang II. I've never quite understood why this forum in general isn't so keen on it. It has great atmosphere, with a nice touch of darkness about it. :drool:

I just feel it doesn't fit well on the album AT ALL. The lyrical connection is there, but the sound isn't. You could say the same about Wire, but I find it difficult to bash that song because it's so awesome. :drool:

And you're right; UF should have been much longer. The sound of UF meshes well with that brand of free-spirited sprawl.

LemonMelon said:

I just feel it doesn't fit well on the album AT ALL. The lyrical connection is there, but the sound isn't. You could say the same about Wire, but I find it difficult to bash that song because it's so awesome. :drool:

And you're right; UF should have been much longer. The sound of UF meshes well with that brand of free-spirited sprawl.

Well, sonically, its position on the tracklisting is a bit funny. It's like they decided they needed something that rocked a little on the second side, so they just tossed ISS there without any consideration for whether or not it fit there. I think if you worked with the tracklisting a bit, you could get ISS to fit in rather nicely. If it were near Wire, ASOH, and Boomerang II, it would make sense.

Axver said:

Well, sonically, its position on the tracklisting is a bit funny. It's like they decided they needed something that rocked a little on the second side, so they just tossed ISS there without any consideration for whether or not it fit there. I think if you worked with the tracklisting a bit, you could get ISS to fit in rather nicely. If it were near Wire, ASOH, and Boomerang II, it would make sense.

Yeah, the sequencing hurts ISS more than its own sound. I'm probably biased though because I've never cared for it. It's a shame that they never played it enough live for it to improve its reputation; they basically left it for dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom