Stump the Pink Floyd Guru!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My last post in regards to this:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

The reason why I would not give out Mr. Barrett?s address would be different from the reason why I would not give away Mr. Gilmour?s address. I think Mr. Barrett prefers to not hear of anything music industry related. On the other hand, Mr. Gilmour is part of that business.

Maybe he?d be interested in being interviewed for an academic publication, maybe not, whatever - I?m not a fucking call center trying to get some marketing done get it?

No, but I'm fairly certain he still wouldn't want to be directly contacted at home. If you want to set up an interview, there's nothing wrong with that, but you will have to go through their management and publicists, just as everyone else has to do. You don't get special privileges.

You claimed to know all and everything.

No, I never did. I merely stated that I believed I know more than most, if not anyone, here, and challenged them to prove me otherwise.

This thread is about you, and about the Floyd. It would have been perfectly right, and not a waste of BLAH, to say "No, I can?t give private information away". But no, Mr. DaveC has to dwell on Sandy and Joe and Dave and Rog and omg THE BOYS! (you don?t think they?re men, at their age?)

I did say "I can't give private information away." Many times. In many different ways. See below:

Originally posted by DaveC
That is their personal private information and it's their right to it.

In regards to me "dwelling" on Sandy and Joe and Dave and Rog and "omg THE BOYS"...I obviously was stressing the point on them because you asked for THEIR personal information, and they are in Pink Floyd, the entire reason behind this thread. Sandy and Joe are my main contacts with the band and my only point of hard-to-find information such as that. So it would be natural that I would explain their aversion to exposing private information. And I called them "The Boys" as a term of endearment. Nothing more. Chill out.

So, this is why you came off a little pretentious. At least to me.

Get yo groove on.

That's your opinion.

As I said, I won't be replying to posts of this nature anymore, although I do encourage the continuance of the game.

Well nobody has managed to get my prize yet (Khanada never sent me her contact info) so I guess the game is still on. I notice we have some new hardcore PF-er's here since this happened so let's see if one of you can get me.

Give'r. :wink:

DaveC said:

I'm not sure. I checked around and found nothing.

So you are just using resources?
where is the challenge in the challenge?

Quick......... ask me anything, if I can't find it on google then I will just say "I'm not sure" ! ;)

What's that weird sound in the intro of "Cluster One"?

When and where was the last time that David Gilmour played (live, studio) with Paul McCartney?

What are David's thought about U2?

When and where was the last time that Gilmour were with Waters in the same place and what happened?

Easy ones! :wink:

1) Why couldn't modern-era "Pink Floyd" originally use giant inflatable pigs during their tours? And what did they do about it?

2) The first track of "Meddle" samples off of what TV show theme?

3) Which two "Pink Floyd" songs were "blacklisted" by Clear Channel following the 9/11 attacks?

4) What sound can be heard on the 26th second of "Wish You Were Here"? And what sound can be heard on the 31st second?

5) Eric Cartman on "South Park" quotes a "Pink Floyd" lyric on two episodes. What's the lyric and what song is it from?

6) What infamous British decency campaigner was mocked in the song, "Pigs (Three Different Ones)?

Melon

Last edited:
macphisto23 said:
How many guitars does Gilmour own?

What...currently? Or at some point during PF's musical career?

So you are just using resources?
where is the challenge in the challenge?

Quick......... ask me anything, if I can't find it on google then I will just say "I'm not sure" !

Well, if I don't know the answer to something (which I admitted), I will certainly take a look around to see if I can find the answer for future reference. I don't see the problem in that if I fully admitted I didn't know the answer.

What's that weird sound in the intro of "Cluster One"?

That is ULF and LF sounds recorded of the Earth's crust shifting.

When and where was the last time that David Gilmour played (live, studio) with Paul McCartney?

What are David's thought about U2?

Good lord, I don't know these. If you can give me the answers, then I guess you've won. :shrug:

When and where was the last time that Gilmour were with Waters in the same place and what happened?

Last I heard for sure was that Roger was at one of the Earl's Court shows during the PULSE tour in 1994. There is also a rumour that they were in the same place at Steve O'Rourke (former manager)'s funeral and that they all got on stage and played 3 songs (Fat Old Sun, Wish You Were Here, and The Great Gig in the Sky) together. But that's just a rumour.

1) Why couldn't modern-era "Pink Floyd" originally use giant inflatable pigs during their tours? And what did they do about it?

Roger got the rights to the originals when he sued the band. So, the Rog-less PF just stuck some genitals onto them.

2) The first track of "Meddle" samples off of what TV show theme?

Echoes? There's no sample in there at all. The closest thing Echoes has to do with sampling is that Roger sued Andrew Lloyd Webber because he thought the theme to Phantom of the Opera sounded a little to much like Echoes.

3) Which two "Pink Floyd" songs were "blacklisted" by Clear Channel following the 9/11 attacks?

Mother and Goodbye Blue Sky.

4) What sound can be heard on the 26th second of "Wish You Were Here"? And what sound can be heard on the 31st second?

Both of them are David Gilmour coughing. He heard it on playback and immediately quit smoking.

5) Eric Cartman on "South Park" quotes a "Pink Floyd" lyric on two episodes. What's the lyric and what song is it from?

Man, I don't even watch South Park. :slant:

6) What infamous British decency campaigner was mocked in the song, "Pigs (Three Different Ones)?

That would be Mary Whitehouse (Hey you Whitehouse ha ha charade you are).

DaveC said:
Echoes? There's no sample in there at all. The closest thing Echoes has to do with sampling is that Roger sued Andrew Lloyd Webber because he thought the theme to Phantom of the Opera sounded a little to much like Echoes.

Well, let me modify the question:

The first track off of "Meddle" is widely seen as sounding similar to what TV show theme?

"Sampling," as I used, is technically incorrect, so I'm changing the question.

Mother and Goodbye Blue Sky.

You've got one correct. "Mother" is on the list. "Run Like Hell" is the other song. ;)

Both of them are David Gilmour coughing. He heard it on playback and immediately quit smoking.

The 26th second is, indeed, a cough. The 31st second is a sniff.

Man, I don't even watch South Park. :slant:

The lyric is "Haha...charade you are" from "Pigs (Three Different Ones)."

Melon

On the Gilmour/Macca question, as far as I know, the last time they recorded together in a studio was in 1998 for Run, Devil, Run. Live, I'd guess this show. But who knows.

And there were multiple singers on Dark Side, so I dunno if that's a good question. I know Clare Torry sings on "The Great Gig In the Sky" and nothing else, and a few other people do the rest.

Last edited:
u2valleygirl said:
Okay Dave, who is the female singer who sings in Darkside of the Moon?

Clare Torry sings on Great Gig in the Sky, and that's probably who you're referring to. Other than that there were 4 female backup singers who sang bit parts like the "oooooh"s in Time and the "woooaaahwaohohohhhhwooaaaaaa" in Brain Damage.

What is similar between the beginning of the Animals tour show and U2's current tour?

Erm...there really is none. Everything about both tours is totally different, except for the fact that there was a band playing music on a stage.

DaveC said:

What is similar between the beginning of the Animals tour show and U2's current tour?

Erm...there really is none. Everything about both tours is totally different, except for the fact that there was a band playing (*brilliant) music on a stage.

*Edited

At the beginning of The Animals concert (at least one of the Bingley Hall shows) a recording of a low flying jet was played just before they started. On U2's current tour the sound of jets can be heard when they start with Love & Peace.

Every poet is a thief.

Last edited:
Damn, I love this thread, and I love PF. I wonder why no one ever mentions the PF influence on U2? Gilmour and Edge are so similar in their use of echo and their clean tones, and not even U2 references them as influences although its clearly there.

Ladera Heights said:
Damn, I love this thread, and I love PF. I wonder why no one ever mentions the PF influence on U2? Gilmour and Edge are so similar in their use of echo and their clean tones, and not even U2 references them as influences although its clearly there.

Yes, I totally agree.

Ok...what's the name of Gilmour's houseboat? (warm up question)

which member of the group had his cables secretly shortened each night to stop him moving around during the 'Momentary Lapse' tour?

sorry, I've just got out of bed, probably easy :huh:

Sorry if this had been asked before (couldn't be bothered going through all six pages)...

How was Pink Floyd parodied in Douglous Adams' classic sci-fi book series, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"?

Who suggested a cow as the subject of Atom Heart Mother's album cover?

What are the lyrics to "Peace Be With You"?

Wasn't Sid Barrett an art student when Floyd first got together?

Yes.

which member of the group had his cables secretly shortened each night to stop him moving around during the 'Momentary Lapse' tour?

I think it may have been Guy Pratt. I heard about this in passing a couple years ago and that's the only name that comes to mind.

How was Pink Floyd parodied in Douglous Adams' classic sci-fi book series, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"?

Pink Floyd, and their light shows, were the basis for the space band (I don't know the name off hand, I've never read the book or seen the movie).

Who suggested a cow as the subject of Atom Heart Mother's album cover?

Storm Thorgerson...the guy who designed every cover except PATGOD, The Wall, and The Final Cut.

What are the lyrics to "Peace Be With You"?

Nobody short of the band knows that. It was never released, and only mentioned once very briefly in an interview.

DaveC said:

Storm Thorgerson...the guy who designed every cover except PATGOD, The Wall, and The Final Cut.

Actually the cow idea was suggested to Storm Thorgerson by another photographer, John Blake. I can look up my source if you want.

The 'Peace Be With You' question was kind of a teaser. I had kind of hoped that the prize you are giving away was an mp3 of that song :drool: I guess that's not possible though. Anyway, you're a very knowledgable Floyd fan. If I were sent to the proverbial desert island, I'd take everything I have of U2 and Pink Floyd.

Last edited:
What is the name of the 22-fret guitar Gilmour uses on Brain Damage and Us and Them?

In Breathe, what are the names of the two strange chords that transition from G to Emadd2? And from where did they learn this?

For what film/director was Us And Them originally written?

DaveC said:
Well nobody has managed to get my prize yet (Khanada never sent me her contact info) so I guess the game is still on. I notice we have some new hardcore PF-er's here since this happened so let's see if one of you can get me.

Give'r. :wink:
shit i totally forgot about that. :reject:

well i went back and re-read the thread and i remember now what the songs were. he played on "missing" and "the promise," both off arcadia's so red the rose. :shrug:

DaveC said:
I think it may have been Guy Pratt. I heard about this in passing a couple years ago and that's the only name that comes to mind.

Incorrect. The answer was Scott Page.

From Nick Mason's Inside Out:

"Since Scott Page only had the Saxophone to play, he would often come back on stage with a guitar doing a Status Quo along David's guitar solos. He did not have a radio mike, and used a standard guitar lead, so the road crew- possibly inspired by Morris Lyda's rodeo background- would chop a few inches off the lead each night to restrict his movement and rope him in. He was lucky they didn't hog-tie him down."

Back
Top Bottom