Study shows people willing to give up life and limb to be thin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
What would you give up to be thin?
SCOTT DEVEAU

Globe and Mail Update

Forget the sacrifices entailed in the latest extreme diet or exercise craze, according to a new study people would be willing sacrifice life and limb, literally, to avoid being obese.

Nearly half those responding to a Yale University online survey said they would be willing give up a year of their life rather than be fat -- 15 per cent said they would trim a decade off their lives for a thinner waistline.

A small percentage of the roughly 4,300 people surveyed even said they would rather lose a limb (5 per cent), or go blind (4 per cent) than put on some extra pounds.

“I guess it just shows how intensely people don't want to be obese,” said Marlene Schwartz, lead researcher on the study “(Being obese) is really seen as worse than a lot of other problems that people face in life.”

Dr. Swartz and her team of researchers at the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale found that regardless of the weight of those responding to the survey, most exhibited a distinct anti-fat bias. Some evidence even suggests that that bias is getting worse in the general population, according to the study, which is published in the latest issue of Obesity.

“One of the things that seems different about obesity bias, as opposed to racial bias or ethnic bias, is there isn't what they call ‘in-group favouritism,'” Dr. Schwartz said. “People in the group don't even feel good about being in the group.”

It didn't come as a surprise then to the researcher that the respondents were quicker to associate obese people with more negative personality traits, like being lazy or bad, than they would for thinner people. But to see just how intense this distain for obesity ran, the researchers decided to push the boundaries a bit.

“We had this idea of posing these questions just to see how far people were willing to go. And we were surprised,” Dr. Swartz said.

Thirty per cent of respondents said they would rather be divorced than obese; 25 per cent said they would prefer not being able to have children; 15 per cent said they would rather be severely depressed. Slightly fewer said they would rather be an alcoholic (14 per cent).

But it wasn't simply personal sacrifices that people said they would be willing to make; 10 per cent said they would rather have an anorexic child than an obese one. Eight per cent said they would prefer their child to have learning disability.

“Part of what I think is going on is we look at an overweight child and we blame the parent 100 per cent,” Dr. Swartz said. “I think that a parent of a child with an eating disorder is seen more sympathetically than a parent of an obese child.”

Dr. Swartz said she hasn't investigated whether thinner people were more willing to give up smaller things, like having an extra piece of cake or going for a run, but she said anecdotally, that she has found that most overweight people have already made enormous sacrifices in their lives to combat obesity.

“Most overweight people have made a lot of sacrifices,” she said. “You'd be hard pressed to find someone who hadn't been on an extreme diet or pushed themselves in pretty extreme ways.”

OK, the very first part I could go along with, since being obese will probably trim more time off your life than chosing to trade in a year and be fit, but the part about parents prefering to have anorexic children...wow.

Wow. I'm shocked seeing people would really be willing to give up so much.

You know I really love the attitudes that people are overweight because they are lazy. Yes that may be true for some but not for all! And God forbid that a child be obese I mean really who would want to love their child unconditionally? That's just plain sick that they would want their child to be anorexic! :mad: Thank god my mom didn't have this attitude when I was a child or she would have gotten rid of me.

Ehh...I really don't know what to say to this...since I am fat...but I also have a learning disabilty too.....partly why I'm not sure what to say.

But I'm not complaining about being fat....I rather be fat than be nothing but skin and bones :yikes:

Yea, I know...I get all the pressures to be thin....but not in full....and not from my parents either...they love me if I was thin or fat.

And take a look at what people will do for what looks like a small fortune of money (Fear Factor, etc.) - to be rich and thin are the short sighted goals of too many.

In the words of Judge Judy: Beauty fades, dumb is forever.

No, but if you look at the general views, you see that a lot of people seem to think that looks are the most important thing in life...

Though I hope we will get to our senses someday and start to see that the inner side counts at least just as much as well, even more!!

nbcrusader said:
And take a look at what people will do for what looks like a small fortune of money (Fear Factor, etc.) - to be rich and thin are the short sighted goals of too many.

my thoughts exactly!

Muggsy said:

no, the point is that many people has the wrong idea about what is important in life...

This could be due to the media painting a picture of popularity and success comes from being thin -- and the fact that most celebrities and models are at an average of a size 2 or 4 :huh:

MsGiggles said:

This could be due to the media painting a picture of popularity and success comes from being thin -- and the fact that most celebrities and models are at an average of a size 2 or 4 :huh:

But, is the media responsible for these attitudes, or does the media simply communicate the attitudes of a society? I don't know the answer and it's something I've always been curious about.

Personally, I've always had a problem blaming the media for why so many women have low self-esteem and are reduced to disordered eating in order to live up to a perceived societal norm. When you blame the media, you're basically agreeing that women ARE too dumb to think and act on their own.

I'm more inclined to believe that the media simply portrays a very polarized view of the average attitudes of our society as a whole.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
When you blame the media, you're basically agreeing that women ARE too dumb to think and act on their own.

Unfortunately some (that's some not all) are too "dumb" to think on their own - otherwise all these companies who peddle exercise and diet products on late night tv wouldn't be as successful as they are :|

Look at the success of shows like Fat Actress (Kirstie Alley) or Biggest Loser. I'm sure some people get their motivation to be thin from those as well

Mrs. Edge said:
What would you give up to be thin?
SCOTT DEVEAU

Eight per cent said they would prefer their child to have learning disability.

:huh: deal with a learning disability which can be only "managed" versus obesity which can be reversed?

I wonder too, what these people view as obese? I'm probably technically considered "obese" if you consider height and weight, but I walk quickly (no waddle and only a slight wiggle to my butt/hips:wink:), I couldn't run around the block without getting winded, but I'm not huffing and puffing constantly and while I have my "lazy" days where I don't want to do anything (usually housework/cleaning), I think lack of exercise, etc. has more to do with motivation; I'm not completely unhappy with myself so I'm not yet motivated to do something about my weight.

These are the responses of a desperate person. Overweight people are often depserate to lose their extra weight and find hypothetical questions of a simple fix is rather easy to come to terms with when it is in a safe and unlikely to ever eventuate situation.

nicole-star861.jpg

OUR WORLD IS GETTING REALLY FUCKED UP!!!!

I did my PhD seminar on eating disorders. Scary what people will do to themselves.

Back
Top Bottom