Study shows people willing to give up life and limb to be thin - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy

no, the point is that many people has the wrong idea about what is important in life...
This could be due to the media painting a picture of popularity and success comes from being thin -- and the fact that most celebrities and models are at an average of a size 2 or 4

Old 05-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:42 AM

Yes.. I want to be a stick.. that's attractive..

Old 05-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsGiggles

This could be due to the media painting a picture of popularity and success comes from being thin -- and the fact that most celebrities and models are at an average of a size 2 or 4
But, is the media responsible for these attitudes, or does the media simply communicate the attitudes of a society? I don't know the answer and it's something I've always been curious about.

Personally, I've always had a problem blaming the media for why so many women have low self-esteem and are reduced to disordered eating in order to live up to a perceived societal norm. When you blame the media, you're basically agreeing that women ARE too dumb to think and act on their own.

I'm more inclined to believe that the media simply portrays a very polarized view of the average attitudes of our society as a whole.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
When you blame the media, you're basically agreeing that women ARE too dumb to think and act on their own.
Unfortunately some (that's some not all) are too "dumb" to think on their own - otherwise all these companies who peddle exercise and diet products on late night tv wouldn't be as successful as they are

Look at the success of shows like Fat Actress (Kirstie Alley) or Biggest Loser. I'm sure some people get their motivation to be thin from those as well
Old 08-30-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Re: Study shows people willing to give up life and limb to be thin

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge
What would you give up to be thin?
SCOTT DEVEAU

Eight per cent said they would prefer their child to have learning disability.

deal with a learning disability which can be only "managed" versus obesity which can be reversed?

I wonder too, what these people view as obese? I'm probably technically considered "obese" if you consider height and weight, but I walk quickly (no waddle and only a slight wiggle to my butt/hips), I couldn't run around the block without getting winded, but I'm not huffing and puffing constantly and while I have my "lazy" days where I don't want to do anything (usually housework/cleaning), I think lack of exercise, etc. has more to do with motivation; I'm not completely unhappy with myself so I'm not yet motivated to do something about my weight.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:07 PM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:42 PM
These are the responses of a desperate person. Overweight people are often depserate to lose their extra weight and find hypothetical questions of a simple fix is rather easy to come to terms with when it is in a safe and unlikely to ever eventuate situation.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:42 AM
I'm trying to lose weight but I'm not doing anything extreme. The stuff that some people will do is unbelievable.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:40 AM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:42 AM

OUR WORLD IS GETTING REALLY FUCKED UP!!!!

I did my PhD seminar on eating disorders. Scary what people will do to themselves.