Stuck in a godawful video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
This will be absolutely no news to US residents, but I'm currently watching the 'football' version of the Stuck In A Moment video. And at first I actually thought this was somebody's idea of a U2 parody, that's how bad it is.

Like the whole fucking song boiled down to a game of football. Blah...

It's a pretty sucky video, but Edge singing upside down is hilarious.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

Edge slipping on the nachos is pretty funny too...but it has that "awwwwwwww..." factor as well.
smile.gif

And Larry cheering!!!! Wow!!!!! He is studalicious!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Oh My God. The video is soooo bad. I couldn't belive it the first time I saw it. I was like "This can't be U2". The only stuff that I liked was the names of the players. "Paul Hewson" etc. Of course, only us die hards would understand that. They should have used the video on the DVD. That would have been 100% better.

Is there a different (better) European video???

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
Is there a different (better) European video???

The European video is different AND better. The whole Bono getting thrown out of the back of a van, people walking over him, Edge reaching down to help....it fits the song much better. *sigh* Too bad they felt they had to dumb it down for the US.
frown.gif

I'm actually not sure what is so 'European' about the European version, but it strikes me as the better of the two.

The whole Paul Hewson/Dave Evans/Lemons vs. Flies thing with the commentator at the start is really cringeworthy.

Anyway, this is all so so old, and my apologies for starting it. Just that tonite appears to be the first-ever screening of this abomination here on Australian TV.

------------------
"There's junk mail in my letterbox
and all the catalogues
I can't wait to buy it
no matter what it costs
The whistle of the sniper
the crashing of the bombs
put a spring back in my step
keeps me feeling young

And all this shopping is a curse
everytime it's getting worse
I got bullets in my hairdo
and holes in my purse..."

Originally posted by martha:
It's a pretty sucky video, but Edge singing upside down is hilarious.

My thoughts exactly. I really don't like the video, but Edge is a cutie in it. His eyes look very green.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
European = Not dumbed down for the lowest common denominator of society.

Hey! We resemble that remark!

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

I don't like the so-called "American" version of Stuck...but it's not completely silly. I think they probably made it cause they knew a lot of people in the US would watch a football game but not stay tuned in for the much more esoteric, thought-provoking "European" version. Only they know for sure...

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Originally posted by hippyactress:
I don't like the so-called "American" version of Stuck...but it's not completely silly. I think they probably made it cause they knew a lot of people in the US would watch a football game but not stay tuned in for the much more esoteric, thought-provoking "European" version. Only they know for sure...

But you see, that's just the thing that prompted my earlier comment. I don't find anything particularly 'esoteric' about the European version of Stuck. It features much more evocative and gorgeous camerawork, but the concept is simplicity itself.

------------------
"There's junk mail in my letterbox
and all the catalogues
I can't wait to buy it
no matter what it costs
The whistle of the sniper
the crashing of the bombs
put a spring back in my step
keeps me feeling young

And all this shopping is a curse
everytime it's getting worse
I got bullets in my hairdo
and holes in my purse..."

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
European = Not dumbed down for the lowest common denominator of society.

The American video is dumbed down?

Perhaps someone can tell me what the hell that gigantic bunny and the mailman are doing in the video, because I haven't a clue.

Originally posted by speedracer:
The American video is dumbed down?

Perhaps someone can tell me what the hell that gigantic bunny and the mailman are doing in the video, because I haven't a clue.

Not sure about the bunny...

The mailman looks like a tribute to Bono's dad (a retired postal worker).

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

i agree....i think it's one of the strangest U2 videos ever conceived...very odd, too purely "american" or something....i've never liked it. but i didnt' like the one with all the kids in it either (forgot the song).

I think the concept of having everything done a few times (Bono stands up 15,000,000 different times and messes up the wave EVERY time, lol) was good and interesting. But I'm not much for sports, and it's not one of my favorite videos.

------------------
~*Mona*~
LOVE me, give me SOUL

A little less circuitry ** A little more poetry

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
Ha! Looks more like gridiron to me, but I'm no sports buff.

If you were you'd know there IS no more AFL. It merged with the NFL in 1970 to create the AFC and NFC we have today. I like the idea of U2 and football because I like them both. Still I prefer the original Stuck with the van because Bono looks so freakin gorgeous in it.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Originally posted by Autumn454:
If you were you'd know there IS no more AFL. It merged with the NFL in 1970 to create the AFC and NFC we have today. I like the idea of U2 and football because I like them both. Still I prefer the original Stuck with the van because Bono looks so freakin gorgeous in it.

I thought they were talking about the Australian Football League.

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
I'm actually not sure what is so 'European' about the European version, but it strikes me as the better of the two.

maybe it was shown in europe first?

i like the original video of "beautiful day". less CG.

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 01-12-2002).]

In complete agreement, the video makes me wanna throw up. Yeah the the little references are cool but the whole thing it's just so damn silly, the song is much more powerful and the video completely undermines that.

Yes it is dummied down, and that completely sucks because they seemed to have dummied it down to try to reach the TRL audience (the director let's not forget directed the "Thong Song" video). But in reality what the video conveys to the unknowing audience are the same things that Aerosmith on the Super Bowl with the teen idiots conveyed, a washed up rock and roll band trying desperately to fit in (not saying that's what I think but simply what it looks like to an outsider).

It just sucks so bad it's not funny. And like someone said the European version is not only more evocative but it is a great concept filmed gorgeously (camera angles, colors, just the whole thing). ARGH!!!! It drives me insane just thinking about it.

In any case the only thing I've been be able to come up with for the pink bunny is the following:

http://www.u2photos.com/U2/elevation/galleries/bunny.html

I saw this bunny in closing night Miami and someone explained it to me how it came into existance but I don't remember in detail. I'm not the expert on the theory but basically this bunny came to existance after the Boston line problem and travelled around with fans to a lot of the shows (kinda of like that banner during popmart). As you can see from the pictures the band does know about it, it's a bit hard to miss such a huge bunny in the crowd, and thus this is the only explanation for that bunny.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
The European video is different AND better. The whole Bono getting thrown out of the back of a van, people walking over him, Edge reaching down to help....it fits the song much better. *sigh* Too bad they felt they had to dumb it down for the US.
frown.gif

sounds like matchbox twenty's "bent" video ... but i digress.

i dunno about this whole AFC and NFC thing, i like KFC myself.
tongue.gif

sorry, that was just too dumb of an opportunity to pass up!

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

Alright, I finally saw the Europe version of Stuck. MY GOD IT IS SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN THE US VERSION.

The whole vid just gave me the chills, awesome awesome vid.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

The US version is one of those videos that takes a long time to grow on you. It tries really hard to be funny, and at times it is (Edge's slip, Larry cheering), but the song isn't humorous at all, and it completely strips away its meaning. The first time my friend heard the song was when he watched the US version of the video, and he was completely shocked when he found out it was about suicide.

I think the European version embodies and makes the meaning of the song so much clearer. And it's just awesome.
smile.gif

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*
The Palm-Fanning-Lotion-Rubbing Ambassador to Guam

"No matter how much we wrap it up in tinsel and television, I'm still the geezer with the white flag." ~ Bono

"It's a cliche to say were back on form, but in this case, it's true" ~ Bono

If I could through myself set your spirit free...

Back
Top Bottom