'Streetcore'--Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
i posted a thread about this a while ago, it fell by the wayside for one of three reasons:
a) no one read it cos the title wasn't clear on what it pertained to
b) no one cares
c) it was so far away from the release date

i like to think it was reason a.

anyway, the release date for the album got shoved back from oct. 7th (u.s.) to the 21st.

but epitaph.com has a song up called 'coma girl'

it rules. just ask yertle if you don't beleive me.

yertle doesn't play by the rules. cos he knows not to use them, they're for the fools. and you're a fool if you don't know that. so use the rules, you stupid fool.

and we're taking you with us, mr. red angel of dragnet.

stream.php

1. Coma Girl
2. Get Down Moses
3. Long Shadow
4. Arms Aloft
5. Ramshackle Day Parade
6. Redemtion Song
7. All In A Day
8. Burnin' Streets
9. Midnight Jam
10. Silver And Gold

awesome...

thanks for all the goods on Joe....thanks for keeping me in the loop :bow:
I just got the dvd "The Essential Clash" (I have the cd too lol...I can never have enough of the Clash). I watched it last night....they have this home made movie that is truly a sight to behold. Never seen Paul so animated :lol:
Get it if you don't have it! It fookin rocks....what a cool band they were. :drool:

i still need to get that dvd.

i think it is the same 'redemption song' that's on the johnny cash box set slated to come out (or it already did, i can't remember). but i haven't read anything explicitly stating that

i refuse to let this thread fall off page 1.

:indignantsmiley:

i'll quote clash songs and mescaleros songs to myself if i have to :D

(or someone will come along and stop me:uhoh: )

mtv.com thought the album was supposed to come out in may...

Joe Strummer's final studio recordings will be released on an as-yet-untitled album in May, and the disc may include material he recorded outside of his band, the Mescaleros.

The former Clash singer/guitarist died December 22 at age 50 (see "Joe Strummer Of The Clash Dead At 50"). He was in the process of recording a third album with the Mescaleros at the time of his death, according to a spokesperson for Epitaph Records, which puts out Mescaleros albums via its Hellcat imprint.

Strummer's bandmates are slated to enter a studio within the week to start sifting through the tracks with completed vocals and mixing the album. In addition to the Mescaleros material, Epitaph is considering including songs Strummer recorded without the band, including "Long Shadow," written and recorded with Beck guitarist Smokey Hormel.

Strummer released two albums with the Mescaleros, 1999's Rock Art and the X-Ray Style and 2001's Global a Go-Go. The group performed a number of new songs on a fall U.K. club tour, including the tentatively titled "Coma Girl," "Get Down Moses," "Guitar Slinger Man" and "Dakar Meantime." According to a Hellcat Records spokesperson, "the band was working on getting the songs in great shape by playing them live before going into the studio in December." It is still unknown how many songs were recorded prior to Strummer's death.

Just before his death, Strummer was also at work on "48864," a song slated to debut at a February 2 AIDS-awareness concert organized by former South African President Nelson Mandela (see "Bono, Shaggy, Macy Gray To Play AIDS Benefit In South Africa"). An all-star group of musicians including Ludacris, Coldplay, Eve, Macy Gray, Nelly Furtado and Shaggy will perform the song, which was written by Strummer with Bono and former Eurythmics member Dave Stewart. The 10-minute track ? named after the prison ID number worn by Mandela during his 27-year Apartheid-era incarceration ? features typically poignant, poetic lyrics from Strummer.

"When freedom rises from the killing floor/ No lock of iron or rivet can restrain the door/ And no kind of army can hope to win a war/ Like trying to stop the rain or still the lion's roar/ Like trying to stop the whirlwind scattering seeds and spores/ Like trying to stop the tin cans rapping out jailhouse semaphore," read a portion of the lyrics, as quoted in Rolling Stone.

http://www.punknews.org/article.php?sid=6670

It includes Strummer's cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song," which Strummer recorded with by Rick Rubin while he sessioned in Los Angeles with Johnny Cash. Other tracks include "Coma Girl" and "Get Down Moses," which had become Mescaleros live staples before Strummer's untimely death last December. The track "Midnight Jam" is an instrumental jam the Mescaleros recorded "the four of us just got in there, jammed, slowed the bass down and just dubbed around it, without changing anything."
they still think it comes out on oct. 7th...

so basically i'm bumping this for the benefit of mrs.clayton, b&c's newest clash fan.

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, so the station's copy wasn't around at the statio like i had been told, so i haven't heard the whole thing yet. another dj on the station seems to have tracked down a copy and he played 'all in a day' on his show. it's actually still playing as i'm typing this.

HOLY SHIT THIS SONG RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cannot...wait....for...the.....21st....holy shit....

actually, part of it reminds me of a b.a.d. song, oddly enough. 'don't worry baby your credit is due'.

whooaaa hey hey it's all in a day

:dance: :dance: :dance:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom