Straya thread part 5 - scallops and slippery dips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will have no supporters on here for the etymologically correct 'scallop' over the boganistic, simplistic 'potato cake'.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They're potato fritters FFS.

You can call them whatever you like though as long as you don't call them scallops. Scallops are fucking seafood.

Seriously, you walk into a fish and chip shop and ask for a scallop. Do you want something from the sea or something that grew in the ground? Who KNOOOOOWS.

I'm hoping Bonnie will back me up on potato fritters.

Would you believe it wasn't until recently that I even realised what people here called potato cakes/scallops were what I grew up calling potato fritters. I just thought that was their global name. I believe it's the standard term in both New Zealand and the UK.

Fritters are shredded and pan fried. It's actually a thing.

Potato Fritters Recipe - Taste.com.au

Cakes are cakes. Not deep fried, not made of potatoes.

They are fucking scallops (not potato scallops - do you say "I will have a chocolate Mars Bar?), and the reason they are is simple:

The word is derived from the French 'escalope' which literally is a thin circular slice of piece of something food related. It's where in English we get the process of 'scalloping' which is scooping or cutting a thin slice or piece of something. Scallop also describes a shape, which happens to mimic the shape of a potato scallop.

'Potato Cake' sounds like something some bogan from Mexico made up because they had no more vocabulary to describe a deep fried mass of potato. :wink:

It isn't a cake, it isn't a fritter.

That doesn't look like any potato fritter I've ever eaten. Looks closer to rösti.

What then do you heathens call a pineapple fritter?

(And I stand by "scallops are seafood".)

That doesn't look like any potato fritter I've ever eaten. Looks closer to rösti.

What then do you heathens call a pineapple fritter?

(And I stand by "scallops are seafood".)

Thats what everywhere in the world except NZ and South Australia calls a potato fritter.

Scallops are indeed seafood. Delicious seafood. They are also deep friend potatoes. Just like Dominos are a toy game and a pizza brand. And 'curry' is a type of spicy stew and a plant/leaf

They are fucking potato cakes. You lot probably call parmas "parmoos" or some shit.

Ax, thoughts on that Greg Sheridan article? I'm really fucking annoyed by the complete lack of self-awareness News has. Last week they were fuming, every journo falling over themselves to write an article slamming New Matilda for publishing the emails about Barry Spurr. Literally a week on and they seem to have absolutely no issue with Nova Peris' emails being published. It's fucking infuriating.

People who call a parma a "parmy" should be executed... or politely informed of their error, whatever.

And Danny, I'm very glad to be in New Zealand right now and ignoring whatever flagrant hypocrisy is coming from News Ltd. Front page of the Otago Daily Times was a review of a Lorde gig. Simpler times here. I could check the Aussie news online, but why ruin my trip?

People who call a parma a "parmy" should be executed... or politely informed of their error, whatever.

And Danny, I'm very glad to be in New Zealand right now and ignoring whatever flagrant hypocrisy is coming from News Ltd. Front page of the Otago Daily Times was a review of a Lorde gig. Simpler times here. I could check the Aussie news online, but why ruin my trip?

Stay away from it Ax.

BTW, agreed that parmy is unacceptable. The only variation that is remotely ok is a simple 'parm'

Yeah that was one hell of a speech.

Though I winced every time he got Bjelke-Petersen's name wrong. How do you grow up in Queensland and still make that mistake?

Yeah that was one hell of a speech.

Though I winced every time he got Bjelke-Petersen's name wrong. How do you grow up in Queensland and still make that mistake?

Perhaps it was deliberate as a sign of disrespect

I doubt it, that's like people who post about ReTHUGlicans and LIEbruls. No, get the man's name right, make it stick. I'm sure it was a genuine enough mangle.

Back
Top Bottom