Straya thread part 5 - scallops and slippery dips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
like, I couyld discuss this until the cows come home until I remember that I don't actually own any cows,m because im not a ficking farmer

y know even though im a communist I still don't really object to voting in fed state elections or whatever, simply bc the sausage sizzles make up for the disappointment I constantly have for bourgeois politics, albeit temporarily

It seems Vlad is joining me in toasting this glorious day, even though it's not his state! :wink:

exciuse me for drinking although suggesting the USSR was a continuation of the Russian Empire is a bit basic, although, unless you are talking about the fact that it evenrtually became an imperialist power in the same sense that the Russian Empire was but apart from that, that's where ant similarities end

there are many reasons why it all fell apart and that's a discussion for another day or week or whatever

Haha I thought I'd leave this one for you.

y know even though im a communist I still don't really object to voting in fed state elections or whatever, simply bc the sausage sizzles make up for the disappointment I constantly have for bourgeois politics, albeit temporarily

Sausage sizzles make everything great. God I love election day. Am I the only person who thinks voting below the line is a simply wonderful thing? Between sausage sizzles and below the line votes, this is always an enjoyable day for me - and turning into a very enjoyable night too.

sometiumes there are cupcakes but mostly its all about the snags. jhonmest to god

anmyway, fuck StALIN and all those other guyts after him

There was a big cake display at my polling station but it was all about the snags. Snag, onions, bread, and sauce. That's what democracy tastes like. Vlad, if you ever introduce communism, please keep the taste of politics good.

exciuse me for drinking although suggesting the USSR was a continuation of the Russian Empire is a bit basic, although, unless you are talking about the fact that it evenrtually became an imperialist power in the same sense that the Russian Empire was but apart from that, that's where ant similarities end

there are many reasons why it all fell apart and that's a discussion for another day or week or whatever

Well I was over-simplifying, but I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that it took over the place in the world that the old Russian Empire had held. Similar territorial claims or areas of influence, domination by Moscow of a nominal confederation of republics... It's not clear to me that, aside from the ostensible ideology of the state, the character of the beast was that different. Or not so different as to make the comparison absurd.

There was a big cake display at my polling station but it was all about the snags. Snag, onions, bread, and sauce. That's what democracy tastes like. Vlad, if you ever introduce communism, please keep the taste of politics good.

more like, borscht for the masses

Well I was over-simplifying, but I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that it took over the place in the world that the old Russian Empire had held. Similar territorial claims or areas of influence, domination by Moscow of a nominal confederation of republics... It's not clear to me that, aside from the ostensible ideology of the state, the character of the beast was that different. Or not so different as to make the comparison absurd.

yeah oh no yeah I definitely don't disagree w the general point you're makiung

crying into my borscht, that's fuckin rignt mate

if I go to melb ill definitely go there without a doubt

Every time I vote there's a sausage sizzle and I stop for a second and see

a. a queue

b. it costs money. not much, but still, money.

And just walk out.

crying into my borscht, that's fuckin rignt mate

if I go to melb ill definitely go there without a doubt

We will make a point of taking you there (and the Crimean in North Melbourne). They have an absinthe that is actually rocket fluid. It's... an experience.

Every time I vote there's a sausage sizzle and I stop for a second and see

a. a queue

b. it costs money. not much, but still, money.

And just walk out.

Oh Kieran you're a disgrace to your country!

Maybe on polling day the losing candidate should have themselves cooked on a spit for the masses.

I mean whoever comes last. The Citizens Electoral Council guy maybe.

We will make a point of taking you there (and the Crimean in North Melbourne). They have an absinthe that is actually rocket fluid. It's... an experience.

Melbourne sounds monumental I hpotta dsay

Maybe on polling day the losing candidate should have themselves cooked on a spit for the masses.

I mean whoever comes last. The Citizens Electoral Council guy maybe.

Can we just cook the CEC on a spit anyway?

Incidentally, when Lord Christopher Moncton is supporting you, you know you're nuts.

But didn't you know mentioning gay people exist is discrimination against heterosexuals?

Melbourne sounds monumental I hpotta dsay

Damn straight. Hurry up and get over here.

I've a colleague who came down from Toowoomba earlier this year. She tells me you have a new airport. Has the twentieth century finally come to Toowoomba?

Oh and she says there's a pub that does a good parma. I've forgotten its name though.

There is little more satisfying than turfing out petty antipodean Tories.

It's been a while since I've been able to thoroughly enjoy an election night.

I've a colleague who came down from Toowoomba earlier this year. She tells me you have a new airport. Has the twentieth century finally come to Toowoomba?

Oh and she says there's a pub that does a good parma. I've forgotten its name though.

Judging by the occasional rattling of my windowpanes at night, I gather we do have an airport, yes.

Can't confirm or deny on the parma, but we do have a lovely little Italian restaurant.

Before we totally move on from talking about new states, one of my favourite examples was a proposal of the 1860s to create Princeland, encompassing western Victoria around the Portland region and southeastern South Australia around Mount Gambier. Because goddamn that would be a bloody weak state today if it existed, while doing little to sap the strength of either VIC or SA.

I've never heard about this. Might read up on it some more.

I suppose it would have been weak, but perhaps no more so than Tasmania. The very fact that it would have been a state in it's own right might have stimulated successful (or, if course, unsuccessful) efforts to strengthen a standalone state economy, depending on their state governments. Portland or Warrnambool might have become far larger cities. We'll never know.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

I must say, as someone involved with the TAFE sector, I'm quite content with last night. Great effort to the Greens picking up what looks like two seats and polling extremely well in a couple of others. Very happy with this result overall.

Looks like bloody Shooters and Fishers have snared themselves quite a few upper house seats (a bit worrying) and Rise Up have impressed a lot of voters down the South Eastern corridor towards Pakenham.

Looks like the member of my electorate (where I live, but not where I vote and I'd like to keep it that way!), Malvern/Poshville might be a chance of becoming Liberal leader. He's a muppet.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

I've never heard about this. Might read up on it some more.

I suppose it would have been weak, but perhaps no more so than Tasmania. The very fact that it would have been a state in it's own right might have stimulated successful (or, if course, unsuccessful) efforts to strengthen a standalone state economy, depending on their state governments. Portland or Warrnambool might have become far larger cities. We'll never know.

I haven't looked into it much - though partly that's because very little has been written on it! I know the 1863 diary of one promoter of secession was published a few years ago but I am yet to read it. Princeland was intended to have Mount Gambier as capital, Portland as main harbour, and to stretch only as far east as Port Fairy, so excluding Warrnambool (but by the looks of maps it would have just included Mildura in its far northeast).

I'm sceptical it would have ever achieved much, even with the benefits of separate colony/statehood. The 1860s-70s were a time of intense competition for migrants and foreign capital. If Tasmania, far more geographically logical, longer established, and at the time much larger couldn't get further ahead, I'm not sure Princeland would've. Ultimately I think the secession movement gained its key object: bringing attention to the region from Adelaide and Melbourne. More than a few of these pleas for separation have really been a ploy to gain concessions from the colonial/state capital.

I must say, as someone involved with the TAFE sector, I'm quite content with last night. Great effort to the Greens picking up what looks like two seats and polling extremely well in a couple of others. Very happy with this result overall.

Looks like bloody Shooters and Fishers have snared themselves quite a few upper house seats (a bit worrying) and Rise Up have impressed a lot of voters down the South Eastern corridor towards Pakenham.

Looks like the member of my electorate (where I live, but not where I vote and I'd like to keep it that way!), Malvern/Poshville might be a chance of becoming Liberal leader. He's a muppet.

Stoked with the lower house result, especially if the Greens manage to swing a second seat - though on current counting I think they'll fall fractionally short in both Richmond and Prahran.

I'm aghast by the upper house though. The Shooters & Fishers didn't even campaign here. Their website had literally NOTHING about Victoria - they were gearing up for NSW 2015. This is preference harvesting at its worst, delivering seats to a party uninterested in them with a pathetic primary vote. But ultimately I blame idiot voters voting above the line for group voting tickets they have never checked. If you don't support a party's preferences, don't vote above the line for them! You'd think this would be obvious.

And I was honestly surprised that Napthine stepped aside.

Daniel Andrews Celebrates Labor Win By Grooving Awkwardly To Some Shitty EDM, Updating Spreadsheet of Top 100 Life Experiences

Christ, Joe Hockey telling the country to not let Santa down; what are we, five? Never mind that they're collectively spooking the populace the fuck out and we're almost certainly headed for a recession.

Joe Hockey Uncovered As Santa, Coincidentally In Same Year Working Class Children Receive Coal In Their Stockings

Back
Top Bottom