Straya thread part 5 - scallops and slippery dips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never read that blog - maybe visited it once or twice - but I've seen that sort of thing elsewhere and it doesn't surprise me. It's one thing to take a principled stand and another to just be offended by or object to literally everything not perfectly in line with your own views. It's the left-wing equivalent of how there are eleventy billion different fundamentalist Protestant denominations with about fifteen members each.

And oh my god yes, you know the far-far-far-right has degenerated when One Nation's heyday seems almost sane by comparison. The anti-halal nonsense going on right now is mindboggling. It's as if these people have never heard of kosher, and their weird conspiracy theories about what halal is or how having halal certification funds terrorism defies belief. Is this what happens to people when they decide conspiracy theories about communists or wind farms are old news and there needs to be a greater dose of xenophobia in the mix?

I think this is what happens to people when old crankery finds the internet. If the John Birchers had had the internet in 1960, I bet some of their wilder laundry would get a wider airing too.

Also the internet, in its present period, is conducive to echo chambers and escalation. I am quite sure the anti-vaxers and the anti-halal-ers and all the rest think of themselves are quite ordinary and normal.

I never read that blog - maybe visited it once or twice - but I've seen that sort of thing elsewhere and it doesn't surprise me. It's one thing to take a principled stand and another to just be offended by or object to literally everything not perfectly in line with your own views. It's the left-wing equivalent of how there are eleventy billion different fundamentalist Protestant denominations with about fifteen members each.

And oh my god yes, you know the far-far-far-right has degenerated when One Nation's heyday seems almost sane by comparison. The anti-halal nonsense going on right now is mindboggling. It's as if these people have never heard of kosher, and their weird conspiracy theories about what halal is or how having halal certification funds terrorism defies belief. Is this what happens to people when they decide conspiracy theories about communists or wind farms are old news and there needs to be a greater dose of xenophobia in the mix?

As one wag put it, sending military missions to Iraq is a far more efficient way of funding terrorism.

They are utterly petty and ideological. I think this mob genuinely think only 'lefties' care about the ABC which is a really odd attitude for a government whose junior partner is rural-based.

Then again, the last time I heard a peep out of Warren Who was when he was our local shire chairman about a hundred years ago.

Seriously, no wonder you have parties like the Country Alliance emerging; the Nationals seem to have entirely forgotten about their own constituency. Do we really see them surviving into the next generation?

I can't imagine how they would survive.

I also wonder if the occasional Brown and later, Milne, tilts at forging real inroads into rural Australia will ever bear fruit. On the face of it, there is a meeting of interests there that the whole 'dirty hippies' thing can tend to obscure. On the other hand, I'll believe it when I see it.

^ Bahaha! I saw something similar a while ago, that had Lee Lin Chin and a few other female newsreaders or presenters in a sort of reality TV/Desperate Housewives bitchy sort of scenario.
:laugh:

It really feels like Rise Up Australia have gained some traction ahead of this state election which is worrying.

Danny Nalliah and his gang have generated some decent publicity in the past few months and I feel that they are just the fit for the crowd that were so pettily outraged by "t-shirt-gate" a month or so back. They've cloaked their Christianity (but certainly not their muslimophobia!) quite well. The cunts are represented in a hell of a lot of seats as well. Brand awareness is increasing.

I quite like the Labor candidate in my electorate, so may go that way, but I tend to swing quite violently between Labor and the Greens. Probably just throw my obligatory vote for the Sex Party in the Upper.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

You can do better than the Sex Party. Their social policy may be great but their economic ideology is ... troubling.

I'm not too concerned about Rise Up. They may be gaining traction, but their preference flows are generally poor. More troubling are the great deals Family First have in Northern and Southern Metro and the DLP has in Western Vic, all of which could deliver them a seat.

Oh and Cobbler, you may have ignored my earlier post about Voice for the West/Phil Clear,y but enjoy: http://axvoter.tumblr.com/post/103451360616/blatantly-partisan-party-reviews-xiv-voice-for-the

Thanks mate. I might vote below the line, then. Might even go today, there's a voting centre near work, I'll be away Saturday.

Got any links for your claim about the Sex Party being better for pimps than sex workers? That's extremely disappointing...

Thanks mate. I might vote below the line, then. Might even go today, there's a voting centre near work, I'll be away Saturday.

Got any links for your claim about the Sex Party being better for pimps than sex workers? That's extremely disappointing...

Yeah voting below the line in the Victorian Senate is really easy, since you just need to number the candidates you like and none that you don't. I'm going to deny preferences to some of the nutter parties, especially Family First and No Smart Meters.

I can't seem to find the article where I stole the "pimps not prostitutes" line, but this article remains good food for thought, even if it's a couple of years old now: Political party or lobby group? The dark side of the Australian Sex Party

I will still give the Sex Party reasonably favourable preferences, probably ahead of the ALP, but they aren't as positive or left-wing as they might appear on first glance.

Seems to me that a lot of Australia's microparties aren't quite what they seem. Fruitloops or single issue cranks for the most part.

I had to chuckle, as I may have mentioned, at the choice locally in our last federal election, which included One Nation, Rise Up Australia, Family First, The Citizens Electoral Council and for all I know the Ayran Nations of The Southern Cross.

You know, this may be uncharitable of me, but I kind of look forward to the day when Clive Palmer is not only politically but personally ruined. And I think it's not unlikely that day will come. Gina Rhinehart he ain't.

From the vague stuff I occasionally read, I'd guess his mining ain't going so great. Those disputes with the Chinese you occasionally hear about.... and lord knows what goes on behind the scenes regarding his spats with the equally corrupt and detestable Queensland government.

Part of me hopes this dispute with the Chinese airs some really dirty laundry.

Part of me hopes everybody calms the fuck down and Australian politics stops being so tawdry.

... that almost rhymed.

Shit, Kieran, I just noticed your great new location change. :lol:

It's like you're a whole new person these days.

I am fairly certain that Jacquie Lambie is an Illuminati mole sent in by the global Bilderberg conspiracy to fuck with the onward and upward progress of Clive Palmer, Hero.

I'd like to get into the senate and threaten to vote against everything unless I'm given a jar of smarties with the blue ones taken out. Every day.

Back
Top Bottom