Straya thread part 4 - culling the chazzwazzers population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were to describe George Brandis as a creepy and illiberal fanatic with questionable expertise to hold his present office, I'd probably need to provide supporting evidence if I was going to use profanities to make the point.

Incidentally George, this isn't my real name. Also, I'm not a furry.

Extraordinary question time in parliament today. The ALP moved a motion of no further confidence in Speaker Bronwyn Bishop, the first such action since 1949. It's a shame they obviously didn't have the numbers to get it to pass.

I think in politics you need to know when is the right time to criticise your own side. If anything, the ALP has been all too eager to get stuck into itself over the last few years. On the other hand, the Coalition - despite being more bereft of talent than at any point in at least two decades - seems to think its shit doesn't stink. Bishop really is one of the most appallingly partisan Speakers, or simply most appalling Speakers, I can recall, federal or state (or New Zealand). The Speaker should not even really be noticed, yet Bishop continues to interject, shape the course of debate to suit the government, and show the most startling partiality and preference to her party. That's not how the job's done and it would've been nice to see at least a few Liberals willing to say so. I'd like to think all of us would have called out an ALP Speaker if they had behaved like this.

I think the media got a little opportunistic today with its stories on John Howard's views on #knightsanddames. They've all quoted him as saying it's "somewhat anachronistic", but that's a quote taken from his autobiography, and they've written a whole story based on Howard saying "I stand by my views".

To be fair the media's concocted stories from much less - e.g. half of the Rudd vs Gillard nonsense!

Reading between the lines, I think Howard considers Abbott's move politically foolish and a poor decision for Howard's beloved pro-monarchy beliefs. Howard's a smart enough operator to know this move actually strengthens the republic movement; Abbott's not. However, Howard knows that if he actually says that or anything else that looks like he's critical of Abbott, the media would leap all over that to a ridiculous extent and try to foster some instability - so again, Howard the shrewd operator just keeps quiet, deferring to his past writing. He gets to stick behind his views without causing trouble for the government. I may dislike Howard, but he's not stupid.

Tim Wilson says the current racial discrimination laws need changing because some communities are allowed to use racial epithets but those outside that community can not use them. Talking about 'nigga'.

Just astonishing.

He's not worth taking seriously, especially when he tweeted that Occupy protesters deserved to be attacked with water cannons or whatever it was.

I mean obviously he would deny this, but he's pretty much saying white people should be able to go up to black people and call them ******.

Does this mean that if he did that the victim has every right to clock him in the face in retaliation as part of freedom of expression?

He's not worth taking seriously, especially when he tweeted that Occupy protesters deserved to be attacked with water cannons or whatever it was.

TIM WILSON'S WORLD

Freedom of speech to racially abuse somebody = cool.

Freedom of speech to protest the global economic system = not cool.

Palace released a statement today saying it's being demolished. Closes May 31. I'm fucking absolutely livid and distraught. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO ANY MORE FUCKING GIGS AT THE PRINCE FUCKING BANDROOM.

Palace released a statement today saying it's being demolished. Closes May 31. I'm fucking absolutely livid and distraught. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO ANY MORE FUCKING GIGS AT THE PRINCE FUCKING BANDROOM.

Ugh Prince is the absolute worst. Can't we just do a swap and let the developers bulldoze it instead?

At least Billboard is now 170 Russell and run by the Corner Presents folk, so it should pick up some of the slack should the Palace indeed be doomed.

Hopefully the Save The Palace campaign can crank it up a notch.

The music is one thing, but it is just a beautiful, comfortable and very functional (if unfortunately under-utilised) building, for me. This is the most frustrating thing about it all. Why would you demolish it, and why wouldn't you at least incorporate it into new plans. Build over it somehow for all I care, just don't demolish the theatre. It is currently a perfect use of the space and an utter waste. The city needs it's recreation spaces.

Fuck, I'd have my wedding in the Palace Theatre if I could.

Many post-90s buildings are dysfunctional eyesores that have already not aged well. Cases in point include the Docklands Stadium, Unimelb's "Spot" building and the new Age building. The older buildings are saving this city aesthetically.

Oh my god the Spot is so fucking ugly. It's meant to look like deciduous trees in winter. I shit you not. It looks like MOULDY FUCKING BREAD.

How about, I dunno, THE GIGANTIC FUCKING EMPTY SPOT EYESORE IN COLLINS ST

or, I dunno, THE FUCKING SAVOY WHICH HAS BEEN ABANDONED FOR FUCKING 900 YEARS AND IS LITERALLY ACROSS THE ROAD FROM SOUTHERN CROSS STATION

yeah I'm drunk what of it

Shouldn't you be out there performing Outkast covers rather than being on here? :wink:

or, I dunno, THE FUCKING SAVOY WHICH HAS BEEN ABANDONED FOR FUCKING 900 YEARS AND IS LITERALLY ACROSS THE ROAD FROM SOUTHERN CROSS STATION

Seriously. How such a site can even be neglected in the first place is baffling, let alone for so long. Spencer Street used to be lined with pubs, back when Docklands actually was a land of docks. Obviously there was a downturn when the docks moved away, but with the way that end of the city has regenerated you'd think that spot of any spot would have thrived. I remember there were plans in the Age last year showing how it was going to be redeveloped into a new pub with a rooftop beer garden and everything. Would be nice if something came of that.

Also, that newish RMIT building on the Swanston/Victoria intersection that just looks like a pile of barrels is the ugliest building in Melbourne bar none. Fucking atrocious eyesore that should be nuked.

yeah I'm drunk what of it

Drunkposting Cobbler is quality.

the one on Franklin St? ehhh I actually don't mind that. can totally understand why people would think it's ugly (there's one part in particular that looks like a giant has bitten a chunk out of the building) but I dunno, I think it's interesting.

the one on Franklin St? ehhh I actually don't mind that. can totally understand why people would think it's ugly (there's one part in particular that looks like a giant has bitten a chunk out of the building) but I dunno, I think it's interesting.

No, the skyscraper on Swanston/Vic diagonally northwest opposite the Baths. Literally just looks like a pile of barrels. This offensively awful sack of shit: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-frHZiS0U1.../rmit_design_hub_building_rmit_university.jpg

Seriously, it should be bombed.

Apparently it's lovely inside. My friend's girlfriend has a studio there and it sounds great.

But good heavens how you could even walk into that without wanting to vomit is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom