Straya thread part 4 - culling the chazzwazzers population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got that letter in the mail today. Relief for now!
Palace Theatre safe - for now

I was interested to note that if the developers wish to dispute the refusal of their permit, they have to notify ALL the objectors. And that one of the reasons for the refusal is that "the development does not provide adequate bicycle spaces", but there is no mention made of the value of the live music venue (unless that was covered by some of that terminology that I didn't understand in the other reasons). I guess live music isn't considered important enough to even be a reason to take into consideration for these things.

Yeah, it's not in the clear, sounds like it's been refused on structural, not cultural, grounds. My colleague wrote that article after I sent her an email with the Facebook post.

That is sensational. Great point about Howard too.

Here is the opening to Bolt's column today - "I am an indigenous Australian, like millions of other people here, black or white. Take note, Tony Abbott. Think again, you new dividers, before we're on the path to apartheid with your change to the constitution."

He's officially lost the plot.

That's actually deranged. How does that man still even have a job, let alone any readers? If you can't see through that sort of nonsense, you're in a vegetative state.

All of this because Abbott simply wants the constitution to recognise "the first Australians"? I think he genuinely believes that nothing pre-1788 should be recognised.

BfJpIWrCcAAhMwa.jpg

I will never understand the love for Turnbull from some Labor supporters?

Well to be fair there isn't a single politician the world over that I could think of that you would like.

We love Turnbull because he's clearly left-leaning.

Except he only is on soft social issues. His economic leanings are actually more right-wing than Abbott's ex-DLP, Santamaria-fanboy faction.

Well to be fair there isn't a single politician the world over that I could think of that you would like.

There'd be a fair few but I dislike most because, obviously, they don't represent/support my views.

Except he only is on soft social issues. His economic leanings are actually more right-wing than Abbott's ex-DLP, Santamaria-fanboy faction.

Yep, was going to add "at least socially". You'll have to excuse me because I'm totally ignorant of the economy.

Conversely the ex-DLP/Santamaria set can be 'soft' (if you want to put it that way), on economic issues. I mean, they were the 'DLP' for a reason.

I'm not sure any of this stuff has much bearing on Tony today. His government is showing itself to be an extended revenge exercise for losing 2007, leavened with a bit of imported Tea Party/culture wars hoo-hah.

Austerity, baby.

I've been living away from Australia for just over four years now, and long ago stopped following Australian news/politics in a day to day sense. It's really jarring to 'check in' and just see the changes that way - the big bullet points, rather than the smaller day to day drip, drip, if that makes sense. Plus, it's starting to naturally leak back more into my day to day via things like the Guardian (my go-to UK news site) now covering so much from Australia, and in general Abbott Govt. stories popping up in the news here far more often than anything from Australia did under Gillard/Rudd. It's a real shame.

What's hard to tell is how the electorate is feeling about it all. Their polling is pretty bad, but you never know. Do the people who voted for all this... are they having regrets, do they like it, are the 'bad' things just beyond their comprehension (don't care)? I suspect that if he can pull some Howard-like pre-election stunts he might keep going.

Were they taken out the back and 'disappeared' for giving the wrong answer?

Also a little disappointed that none of them was a systems analyst.

It's interesting, because I doubt any of them have really heard about the whole brouhaha anyway, and independent of it they still see its worth. #FuckAbbott

Just an "efficiency study" at this stage, to my knowledge. Amazingly enough the ABC hired a journo from The Australian to do media relations for them today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom