Stop Press - Footy Thread No. 666

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Notice the Bindippers have once again covered themselves in "glory" not content with crapping into cups and chucking it at Utd fans at anfield earlier this year, the dirty bastards have scribbled Munich grafitti on hundreds of seats at OT, they really are the lowest form of pond life in the universe, the biggest laugh has got to be Euro city of culture, those bunch of self pitying, granny stabbing, drug dealing, car thieving, compensation seeking cunts wouldn't know what culture was if it smacked them in the mouth, fucking wankers!!!

jimmmm said:
Notice the Bindippers have once again covered themselves in "glory" not content with crapping into cups and chucking it at Utd fans at anfield earlier this year, the dirty bastards have scribbled Munich grafitti on hundreds of seats at OT, they really are the lowest form of pond life in the universe, the biggest laugh has got to be Euro city of culture, those bunch of self pitying, granny stabbing, drug dealing, car thieving, compensation seeking cunts wouldn't know what culture was if it smacked them in the mouth, fucking wankers!!!

i supported them when thery played chelsea the other day. Although i had a very good reason to. And not just because i hate chelsea :wink:

1stepcloser said:

a lot of my friends think that Totti is really overrated but i think he's a great player. Everytime i see him play he lights up the pitch. He's quite arrogant and i didn't like it when he spat at Euro 2004 (i think it was that tournament) :down:

He could be a big player for Italy at the world cup.

Totti's defect is that he's a too much Rome phenomenon, he actually has never done with the national team what he does with Rome. It's a high limit, this worldcup is his last last last chance to explode as a great player, otherwise he will remain what he is. A regional idle

Good to see Arsenal in the final, but yestarday they did a scandalous game, nearly offending football. It was a full defense game, they did neither a miserable shot! Very low level, if they play so against Barça or Milan they will have not a half chance to win............................very disappointing game

babyman said:
Good to see Arsenal in the final, but yestarday they did a scandalous game, nearly offending football. It was a full defense game, they did neither a miserable shot! Very low level, if they play so against Barça or Milan they will have not a half chance to win............................very disappointing game

yeah, shamefull stuff from arsenal. :tsk: bad penalty by riquelme (sp?) right at the end.

Barcelona also bad :down: :down:

Very very disappointing game.....................I'm not so excited about the final anymore......................it's more than obvious that it's gonna be a 1-0 game.............................Couldn't awate something worst, Barça and Arsenal were ridiculous......................:tsk:

As an Arsenal fan am completely delighted we got to CL final. Sure we played crap but you know what, we played the way Italian teams have played for years. We defended what we had ( a 1-0 lead). I think the players were so aware of what was at stake, that they were afraid to take chances.

The final will be a different game altogether. As both teams start out level, its there to be won, not lost - as both teams normally play offensive football.

Semi-finals are always notoriously tense. Teams who are winning are not going to take un necessary chances which might lead them to scoring a goal. The onus to attack is on the team who is losing.

And it was so not a penalty.

Paris here we come!

babyman said:
Barcelona also bad :down: :down:

Very very disappointing game.....................I'm not so excited about the final anymore......................it's more than obvious that it's gonna be a 1-0 game.............................Couldn't awate something worst, Barça and Arsenal were ridiculous......................:tsk:

shouldn't you be happy that ac milan are out? :wink:

barca were much better than arsenal, i mean they actually attacked somewhat. not one of their best performances though.

i think the final should be good, and i'd be suprised if it's 1-0 really.

Party Boy said:
As an Arsenal fan am completely delighted we got to CL final. Sure we played crap but you know what, we played the way Italian teams have played for years.

This is nothing than a general prejudice with italian teams, matured in the times when frustrated teams could never beat italian teams who won and won in the past years. Go and look at Sacchi's Milan in the 80's and say to me if it was a defense team, go and look at Lippi's Juventus in 90's, at Lippi's Inter (even though he failed with us), at Fabio Capello's Rome and Juventus, at Ancelotti's Milan since 5 years until today, at Mancini's Inter who plays regularly with Adriano, Martins or Recoba, Stankovic, Veron and Figo! Wow, 5 forward players!......................At our national team, (except the Trapattoni era, who was more than defensive) who is a full attack team who plays with Del Piero, Totti, Gilardino and Toni............4 forward players.................................In the 70's we played with players such Mazzola, Boninsegna, Bettega, Riva, Rivera who were scoring goals after goals, in 1982 we've won the Worlchampionship beating in order Argentina, Brasil, Poland (wo was a great team at that time, Gomulka and Boniek, just 2 names) and Germany. And we had players such Paolo Rossi, Conti, Tardelli who run like formula1 cars. Not talking about the generation of Roberto Baggio, Gianluca Vialli, Giannini, Signori................
Isn't it a bit strange that Sacchi, Lippi, Capello, Ancelotti have so many incredible requests from the half world? Everyone want them because they're masters in offensive football. That Italy's football was or is defensive is nothing else than a false legend, invented by all the ones who could never beat italian teams. Many foreigners have learned in Italy football. History speaks alone, when Germany won the Worldchampionship in 1990 players like Matthaeus, Brehme, Klinsmann, Voeller, Kohler, Haessler and many other were playing in Italy, when France won in 1998 Zidane, Deschamps, Desailly, Dugarry and many others were playing in Italy since years. Still today we got the greatest foreign champions that other countries can only dream, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic, Adriano, Kakà, Shevchenko etc etc
And more, Italy had PLATINI, MARADONA, VAN BASTEN, GULLIT, the same Rijkaard plus an infinite list of players who weren't just offensive players, but more...............................the fake theory that italian football was or is defensive is weak, sorry, too weak, ungenerous, groundless at least.........................................

Last edited:
babyman said:

This is nothing than a general prejudice with italian teams, matured in the times when frustrated teams could never beat italian teams who won and won in the past years. Go and look at Sacchi's Milan in the 80's and say to me if it was a defense team, go and look at Lippi's Juventus in 90's, at Lippi's Inter (even though he failed with us), at Fabio Capello's Rome and Juventus, at Ancelotti's Milan since 5 years until today, at Mancini's Inter who plays regularly with Adriano, Martins or Recoba, Stankovic, Veron and Figo! Wow, 5 forward players!......................At our national team, (except the Trapattoni era, who was more than defensive) who is a full attack team who plays with Del Piero, Totti, Gilardino and Toni............4 forward players.................................In the 70's we played with players such Mazzola, Boninsegna, Bettega, Riva, Rivera who were scoring goals after goals, in 1982 we've won the Worlchampionship beating in order Argentina, Brasil, Poland (wo was a great team at that time, Gomulka and Boniek, just 2 names) and Germany. And we had players such Paolo Rossi, Conti, Tardelli who run like formula1 cars. Not talking about the generation of Roberto Baggio, Gianluca Vialli, Giannini, Signori................
Isn't it a bit strange that Sacchi, Lippi, Capello, Ancelotti have so many incredible requests from the half world? Everyone want them because they're masters in offensive football. That Italy's football was or is defensive is nothing else than a false legend, invented by all the ones who could never beat italian teams. Many foreigners have learned in Italy football. History speaks alone, when Germany won the Worldchampionship in 1990 players like Matthaeus, Brehme, Klinsmann, Voeller, Kohler, Haessler and many other were playing in Italy, when France won in 1998 Zidane, Deschamps, Desailly, Dugarry and many others were playing in Italy since years. Still today we got the greatest foreign champions that other countries can only dream, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic, Adriano, Kakà, Shevchenko etc etc
And more, Italy had PLATINI, MARADONA, VAN BASTEN, GULLIT, the same Rijkaard plus an infinite list of players who weren't just offensive players, but more...............................the fake theory that italian football was or is defensive is weak, sorry, too weak, ungenerous, groundless at least.........................................

Mate, I think you have gone a little overboard. I can go back to years past to discuss the merits of the top european soccer leagues.
You have the greatest foreign champions that other countries can only dream of? Says who? How many Italian based players were in the top 5 in the list of the worlds top players?
Ibrahimovic? Adriano? your kidding me right? If you call them top players - based on waht I have seen of them, then you are in trouble.
Italy had Platini, Maradona, Van Basbten, Gullit. So what? Where did they come from? They werent in Itally all their career.

Am sorry if you disagree but watching Italian soccer is like watching chess. Teams don't attack - its boring to watch. Spanish, French, German, Frence, even dutch, is much more exciting as teams try to win games by playing exciting football. Italian football is based on defence first. I am talking about football today, not football 10,15, 20 years ago.

I'd rather watch chess all day than Juve for 5 minutes.And Party Boy , I almost entirely agree with you and that almost is because of Adriano. He IS top player.

Party Boy said:

How many Italian based players were in the top 5 in the list of the worlds top players?

Uff, who cares about lists? You know better than me that they're made about sympathy that worldwide journalists have, come on, lists don't have any bases at all

Party Boy said:

Italy had Platini, Maradona, Van Basbten, Gullit. So what? Where did they come from? They werent in Itally all their career.

Of course they weren't all their career in Italy, but they played their best years in Italy, they had in Serie A their success. They reached the top in Italy. When Maradona came at Naples he was thrown away from Barcelona, almost as a failed player........................wow, smart people that ones....................Platini, Van Basten and Gullit won all they have won in their career in Italy, with what other teams did they won anything? (except national teams)But I wanted to mean that italian managers have been always smart by taking the best players they could find in other countries, these names were just a few examples, I could begin with Omar Sivori and end with Kakà. Other countries haven't seen these kind of generations of players, you can't deny this.....................................

Party Boy said:

Am sorry if you disagree but watching Italian soccer is like watching chess. Teams don't attack - its boring to watch. Spanish, French, German, Frence, even dutch, is much more exciting as teams try to win games by playing exciting football. Italian football is based on defence first. I am talking about football today, not football 10,15, 20 years ago.

Sacred points of view, no problem at all. Simply we see it different, you talk about football today, ok, I could agree, but you must also admit that in general football is today on a true mediocre line. So I find no difference by watching games of Real Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona, Inter or Juventus.............they all play mediocre, there isn't a team that plays with a real team spirit right now, every team bases on the power of the singles player..........for example what would be Barcelona without Ronaldinho? What would be Arsenal without Henry? There is not an unanimous spirit, there are teams where 2 players make the difference while the others just watch the game. This wasn't the football of past years, when 11 players run behind a ball for 90 minutes. Remember France with Giresse, Tigana, Fernandez, Platini etc....................Remember Argentina with Maradona, Burruchaga, Valdano etc. Generations changed a lot, and football of today is ALL boring. So, if you talk about italian football being based on defense, then I have refreshed memories with a bit of history, to show you that italian football wasn't based on defense at all..............but it's a classic, italians always were unpleasant, so there's no surprise about anymore.
I don't know if Italy will do a fine Worldcup, maybe we could go out after the first round, maybe we could win, but one is more than sure, we got a super team and a super coach, in the last 2 years Italy has lost just 2 times and has kicked ass of "offensive" national teams like Holland and Germany for 3-1 and 4-1. Italy plays 4-3-3 with DelPiero, Totti, Gilardino, Toni and Camoranesi.....................5 forward players...........................if you say this is a defense team, then I take my hat off, really.......................................:)

PS: Chess is a game where you attack...........................;)
I like it , too

Hey Babyman, I can see a lot of the points you are saying - one of the big differences now to say 10-15 years ago is money.

10-15 ago, Italy was the one country who could afford to spend multi million pounds on players. The UK, Spain etc could never do this. Which meant the best players in the world went to Italy because that was where all the money was. Now this is not the case. Players can get more money in the UK or Spain than they can in Italy. On a different point, a lot of Italian teams are going through financial difficulty - Florentina for example? THis would never happen in the UK or Spain. There is also a lot of financial issues in Italian soccer which makes you think how clean it really is.

Either way, like you said, its down to opinions etc. I agree that Henry and Ronaldinho have a huge influence on their prospective teams. However, these players are soooo good its only natural. Its like watching Maradona win the 1986 world cup on his own - take him out of that team and Argentina were not that good.

Anyway, Italy - in my top 5 teams for this coming world cup!

Party Boy said:
Hey Babyman, I can see a lot of the points you are saying - one of the big differences now to say 10-15 years ago is money.

10-15 ago, Italy was the one country who could afford to spend multi million pounds on players. The UK, Spain etc could never do this. Which meant the best players in the world went to Italy because that was where all the money was. Now this is not the case. Players can get more money in the UK or Spain than they can in Italy. On a different point, a lot of Italian teams are going through financial difficulty - Florentina for example? THis would never happen in the UK or Spain. There is also a lot of financial issues in Italian soccer which makes you think how clean it really is.

This is an intelligent point, Party Boy. This is actually what really ruined football in Italy, too much interests have today ruined many teams, not only Fiorentina, but even Rome , Lazio and Parma went through times where you really thought it was their end. Maybe England is still a happy island where many teams survive their financial condition with not so much problems, but Spain is actually becoming a second Italy probably. Look at Real Madrid for example, I read a couple of days back that there are millions of dollars of debts, why do you think Florentino Perez run away? Only because they don't win nothing? He's waste politics do the bad of football, he was a disaster, he's the living example that giving so much money away to buy all this "champions" is a complete failure strategy that brings a football society near to death. But even other spanish teams have reappraised their ambitions because of lack of money, Deportivo La Coruna for example. Getting back to Italy, they did what spanish are doing now, they bought a lot of players for incredible money sums and payed their engagements for more. But this was about the 90's so, earlier it was different. What saves many english teams are the salary caps, which in my opinion are one of the best inventions of football. But Manchester, Arsenal and Chelsea are becoming very rich teams, but the incredible paradox is that they're making money thanx to americans, arabs and russians. And attention, there's also a high risk, because once they have made their money, they sell, take 10 times more as when they bought, and then they leave you with your pants in the hands. This is what football became when entrepreneurs who have nothing to do with football want to buy teams to make more money. I don't trust Glazer nor Abramovich, they have their own bussiness, once the team goes bad, they'll leave without a doubt. I see a grey future for football actually, very grey future.

Party Boy said:

Anyway, Italy - in my top 5 teams for this coming world cup!

I must say I'm pretty confident about the team this time, we finally got a coach who is not only a coach, but first a friend of the players. And this is very important, because it creates atmosphere. I believe we can make a few good things, but I also hope the players don't undervalue their opponents like they many times did. It was a mentality that a few times made Italy lose against teams like South Korea for example. It's since 1982 that we don't win a damn thing, it's time to change!

:)

Anyway, first of everything I hope it's gonna be a great Worldchampion, there are many teams that can win the title.
This is my order:
1 Brazil
2 Italy, England, Argentina
3 Netherlands, France

Germany?..........................................Yeah, good organization!
Man, this team is real crap!

babyman said:

This is an intelligent point, Party Boy. This is actually what really ruined football in Italy, too much interests have today ruined many teams, not only Fiorentina, but even Rome , Lazio and Parma went through times where you really thought it was their end. Maybe England is still a happy island where many teams survive their financial condition with not so much problems, but Spain is actually becoming a second Italy probably. Look at Real Madrid for example, I read a couple of days back that there are millions of dollars of debts, why do you think Florentino Perez run away? Only because they don't win nothing? He's waste politics do the bad of football, he was a disaster, he's the living example that giving so much money away to buy all this "champions" is a complete failure strategy that brings a football society near to death. But even other spanish teams have reappraised their ambitions because of lack of money, Deportivo La Coruna for example. Getting back to Italy, they did what spanish are doing now, they bought a lot of players for incredible money sums and payed their engagements for more. But this was about the 90's so, earlier it was different. What saves many english teams are the salary caps, which in my opinion are one of the best inventions of football. But Manchester, Arsenal and Chelsea are becoming very rich teams, but the incredible paradox is that they're making money thanx to americans, arabs and russians. And attention, there's also a high risk, because once they have made their money, they sell, take 10 times more as when they bought, and then they leave you with your pants in the hands. This is what football became when entrepreneurs who have nothing to do with football want to buy teams to make more money. I don't trust Glazer nor Abramovich, they have their own bussiness, once the team goes bad, they'll leave without a doubt. I see a grey future for football actually, very grey future.

Real has no debt since 2000, Perez left because he was bored.
Real won titles thanks to his strategy of galacticos and he develloped a lot of external ressources unexploited by Madrid (in Asia mainly). The last 2 years have been difficult but Madrid made benefits.
And Real, Barcelona and Bilbao are democratic clubs, they belong to their fans, the president is elected, so you can't compare these clubs to other European clubs.
If you want to find morons who spend a lot of money but have ridiculous results, you should visit Inter :wink: or marseille.

Most Italian clubs should go down in Serie C, the Serie A is a financial joke, Juve is the only rational club in this league.

Nothing saves English club, Leeds almost died some years ago. If Abrahamovic decides to leave Chelsea, i'm curious to see who would buy it. Plus, Chelsea loses a lot of money every year in spite of their 1st place.

I don't see what's wrong with making money with Arabs, Americans or Russians. When Maradona was bought by the Camora, nobody protested.

guill said:

Real has no debt since 2000, Perez left because he was bored.
Real won titles thanks to his strategy of galacticos and he develloped a lot of external ressources unexploited by Madrid (in Asia mainly). The last 2 years have been difficult but Madrid made benefits.
And Real, Barcelona and Bilbao are democratic clubs, they belong to their fans, the president is elected, so you can't compare these clubs to other European clubs.
If you want to find morons who spend a lot of money but have ridiculous results, you should visit Inter :wink: or marseille.

Most Italian clubs should go down in Serie C, the Serie A is a financial joke, Juve is the only rational club in this league.

Nothing saves English club, Leeds almost died some years ago. If Abrahamovic decides to leave Chelsea, i'm curious to see who would buy it. Plus, Chelsea loses a lot of money every year in spite of their 1st place.

I don't see what's wrong with making money with Arabs, Americans or Russians. When Maradona was bought by the Camora, nobody protested.

That's what they want to make you believe, that Real has no debts...................................what you say that many italian clubs should be relegated is actually true, this is undenieble.
Who would buy Chelsea? Yeah! This is right the question! Who would, you see it's automatic that if Abramovich would decide to leave there would be a drama, because the team would be left in the shit, they would sell their champions to make the team more simple to buy, and then they would build a team with less money right to arrive in the first 10. This may be very futuristic, but it's a high danger that waits behind a corner.
It's not the fact of making money WITH Arabs, Americans and Russians, it's only they who make the money, they hold the team, once they're gone, money goes with them.

guill said:

Hehe, Inter was for years the master of wasted money....................:mad:
But they have actually changed they're politics since 4-5 years. They don't give too much money away anymore, they just take players who have low costs and the ones who go away at zero from their teams, Cambiasso, Solari, Veron and Figo for example came to us for nothing, we pay just the engagement. The last player for whom Inter gave the blood in its veins was Adriano, 22 million euro. But he was the one in the last 5 years, it's since a long time that Inter looks at his financial situation, an the society has actually fresh cash in its safe. Juve is not the only team with plus actually, lots of things have changed in Italy through the last 2 years, Milan, Fiorentina, Inter, Chievo Verona and other teams are well.

england is now in real trouble. :huh:

rooney's out for six weeks?? that's shit luck right there. and i heard owen reaggravated his in7ury in his first game back with newcastle??

any updates out there?

alright, here's what i've been able to find so far from reading various sources...

owen didn't actually in7ure himself. apparently his discomfort his normal coming off his in7ury, and is part of the healing process. nothing to really worry about.

rooney on the other hand, if all goes well would only be cleared to play literally on the day of england's first match (7une 10). not likely to happen, and besides, he will not be in game shape having missed being on the pitch even in practice for a month and a half.

sven has a big decision to make, but in my mind he still has no choice but to add him to the roster anyway. there's still a good chance england will advance to the second phase, and surely by then rooney would be ready to play at least at 80 per cent or something.

meanwhile terry is also quite hurt, and probably wouldn't have played last week against man u if the stakes weren't so high.

here's to hoping gerrard, lampard, and yes - beckham make it to the cup without in7ury...

Back
Top Bottom