Stop Press - Footy Thread No. 666 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
i hate chelsea. couldn't even beat bloody birmingham city
does that mean you like man utd, since they beat brum city the other week.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

does that mean you like man utd, since they beat brum city the other week.
well i always support whoever is playing blues

just like Welsh people always support whoever is playing England

Old 04-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

well i always support whoever is playing blues

just like Welsh people always support whoever is playing England
i don't think it's just the welsh there, the scots and the irish...
Old 04-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

i don't think it's just the welsh there, the scots and the irish...
and the germans, french, argentinians ect...

the list is endless, nobody likes us!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

and the germans, french, argentinians ect...

the list is endless, nobody likes us!
must be cause we invented the game

we'll show em this summer
Old 04-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #96
Acrobat

Evil is dead Bravo Arsenal.I don't mean to spoil things and angry Arsenal fans but please bring some English/British players
Old 04-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie

well done arsenal

showed those boring Italians a thing or 2. They've got Villareal in the semi's. Villareal are an excellent team but Arsenal have a real chance of getting into the final.

loving the champions league
Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 PM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:32 AM
I think it's still Barca's year.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

i agree.

Quote:
Originally posted by roy keane
I don't mean to spoil things and angry Arsenal fans but please bring some English/British players
yeah, that'd be nice.

what a comeback by Boro against Basel yesterday!
Old 04-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

Sol Campbell (injured)
Ashley Cole (injured)
Kerrea Gilbert (back from injury)
Theo Walcott (not ready)

I don't think there's a problem. If the English Arsenal players were good enough they'd be getting games. Would I have played David Bentley ahead of Cesc Fabregas? Hell no. Arsenal have no obligations to play English players whatsoever but I'm sure if Arsene Wenger plays his best available XI and I think he's doing that now.

How many released Arsenal English players would have gotten into the current side anyway? Bentley or John Halls or Steve Sidwell or Cesc? Upson or Toure (and yes I'll go with Toure and even Senderos)? Liam Chilvers or Emmanuel Eboue?

I think I know who I'll pick each time.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

4 players in the entire squad? that's enough??? even when 1 of them (Walcott) has never played for arsenal.

Wenger has been at arsenal a long time and it has been his policy to buy almost all foreign players since the start.

and saying that the English players aren't good enough is a joke, Wenger has basicly built the entire team with non English players. He could have bought more (quality) English players instead of the players you just named (Toure etc) but he didn't, it's pretty simple.

i remember thinking back when he took over as manager that he was turning them into a French team, now he's gone from French to everything but English.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:24 AM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

It's not 4 players in the entire squad. There are probably more, I just can't think of them - I'm not an Arsenal fan after all. How many English players were in that famed Liverpool squad of the 1980s?

Arsene Wenger does what is best for Arsenal, not what is best for the English national team. Sure, he could have gone out and spent money on a quality English defender like, say, Michael Dawson, who's come through the ranks at Nottingham Forest and therefore has an increase in transfer valuation, but instead he's gone off and got the likes of Toure for nothing. Anyway, the following link puts the argument forward more articulately than I can but regardless I agree with it totally.

And as for the English players not being good enough as a joke, name me one English player released by Arsenal, Matthew Upson apart, who's actually gone on to better things after being released. And Jermaine Pennant has not gone on to better things, before you start. Rohan Ricketts? Liam Chilvers? John Halls? Criag Holloway? Stuart Taylor? Ben Chorley? Dean McDonald? David Bentley? Franny bleedin Jeffers? I rest my case.

The article: http://www.blogfc.com/theblog/?p=278
Old 04-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
It's not 4 players in the entire squad. There are probably more, I just can't think of them - I'm not an Arsenal fan after all. How many English players were in that famed Liverpool squad of the 1980s?

Arsene Wenger does what is best for Arsenal, not what is best for the English national team. Sure, he could have gone out and spent money on a quality English defender like, say, Michael Dawson, who's come through the ranks at Nottingham Forest and therefore has an increase in transfer valuation, but instead he's gone off and got the likes of Toure for nothing. Anyway, the following link puts the argument forward more articulately than I can but regardless I agree with it totally.

And as for the English players not being good enough as a joke, name me one English player released by Arsenal, Matthew Upson apart, who's actually gone on to better things after being released. And Jermaine Pennant has not gone on to better things, before you start. Rohan Ricketts? Liam Chilvers? John Halls? Criag Holloway? Stuart Taylor? Ben Chorley? Dean McDonald? David Bentley? Franny bleedin Jeffers? I rest my case.

The article: http://www.blogfc.com/theblog/?p=278
i didn't mean the English players that arsenal have released, i meant English players in general.

that's a decent article

Quote:
Arsenal will recruit players from around the world at an even younger age so that they can serve their 3 years in the academy prior to qualifying for UEFA tournaments. Barely a solitary extra young Englishman will benefit, and many kids will continue to suffer because our grass roots coaching is simply substandard compared to the nations which we aspire to compete with.
that's a shame, why isn't the English acadamy system as good as other European countries systems? if that is indeed correct then the acadamys at English clubs should definitely be improved.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Crewe's academy is very good and so is middlesboroughs. shame there aren't more like them.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:26 PM   #105
ONE
love, blood, life

Arsenal don't have the money to buy English players. Simple as. Their biggest signing in the past few years has been Reyes, whose transfer fee is dwarfed by the likes of what United paid for Wayne Rooney. Walcott, too, come to think of it. Consider also a significant portion of money available to them has gone to their new stadium and you'll find that despite their G14 status Arsenal simply have less cash than other clubs.

Besides, if one wants to be really pedantic about foreigners within a youth system Arsenal aren't the only ones. United have had loads of Scandinavians on their books, as well as that kid from Barcelona (Pique). If you look down the leagues, there's teh same thing occuring. Hell, at Ipswich, we've got in our youth side a couple of Icelanders and there'll be a New Zealander taking up an academy scholarship this year. Owen Garvan and Chris Casement, both of whom are now in the first team or thereabouts (Garvan anyway) are Irishmen.