Stop Press - Footy Thread No. 666

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the rockin edge said:

does that mean you like man utd, since they beat brum city the other week. :wink:

well i always support whoever is playing blues :wink:

just like Welsh people always support whoever is playing England :madspit:

Evil is dead Bravo Arsenal.I don't mean to spoil things and angry Arsenal fans but please bring some English/British players

well done arsenal :applaud:

showed those boring Italians a thing or 2. They've got Villareal in the semi's. Villareal are an excellent team but Arsenal have a real chance of getting into the final.

loving the champions league :drool:

Sol Campbell (injured)
Ashley Cole (injured)
Kerrea Gilbert (back from injury)
Theo Walcott (not ready)

I don't think there's a problem. If the English Arsenal players were good enough they'd be getting games. Would I have played David Bentley ahead of Cesc Fabregas? Hell no. Arsenal have no obligations to play English players whatsoever but I'm sure if Arsene Wenger plays his best available XI and I think he's doing that now.

How many released Arsenal English players would have gotten into the current side anyway? Bentley or John Halls or Steve Sidwell or Cesc? Upson or Toure (and yes I'll go with Toure and even Senderos)? Liam Chilvers or Emmanuel Eboue?

I think I know who I'll pick each time.

4 players in the entire squad? that's enough??? even when 1 of them (Walcott) has never played for arsenal.

Wenger has been at arsenal a long time and it has been his policy to buy almost all foreign players since the start.

and saying that the English players aren't good enough is a joke, Wenger has basicly built the entire team with non English players. He could have bought more (quality) English players instead of the players you just named (Toure etc) but he didn't, it's pretty simple.

i remember thinking back when he took over as manager that he was turning them into a French team, now he's gone from French to everything but English.

It's not 4 players in the entire squad. There are probably more, I just can't think of them - I'm not an Arsenal fan after all. How many English players were in that famed Liverpool squad of the 1980s?

Arsene Wenger does what is best for Arsenal, not what is best for the English national team. Sure, he could have gone out and spent money on a quality English defender like, say, Michael Dawson, who's come through the ranks at Nottingham Forest and therefore has an increase in transfer valuation, but instead he's gone off and got the likes of Toure for nothing. Anyway, the following link puts the argument forward more articulately than I can but regardless I agree with it totally.

And as for the English players not being good enough as a joke, name me one English player released by Arsenal, Matthew Upson apart, who's actually gone on to better things after being released. And Jermaine Pennant has not gone on to better things, before you start. Rohan Ricketts? Liam Chilvers? John Halls? Criag Holloway? Stuart Taylor? Ben Chorley? Dean McDonald? David Bentley? Franny bleedin Jeffers? I rest my case.

The article: http://www.blogfc.com/theblog/?p=278

yertle-the-turtle said:
It's not 4 players in the entire squad. There are probably more, I just can't think of them - I'm not an Arsenal fan after all. How many English players were in that famed Liverpool squad of the 1980s?

Arsene Wenger does what is best for Arsenal, not what is best for the English national team. Sure, he could have gone out and spent money on a quality English defender like, say, Michael Dawson, who's come through the ranks at Nottingham Forest and therefore has an increase in transfer valuation, but instead he's gone off and got the likes of Toure for nothing. Anyway, the following link puts the argument forward more articulately than I can but regardless I agree with it totally.

And as for the English players not being good enough as a joke, name me one English player released by Arsenal, Matthew Upson apart, who's actually gone on to better things after being released. And Jermaine Pennant has not gone on to better things, before you start. Rohan Ricketts? Liam Chilvers? John Halls? Criag Holloway? Stuart Taylor? Ben Chorley? Dean McDonald? David Bentley? Franny bleedin Jeffers? I rest my case.

The article: http://www.blogfc.com/theblog/?p=278

i didn't mean the English players that arsenal have released, i meant English players in general.

that's a decent article

Arsenal will recruit players from around the world at an even younger age so that they can serve their 3 years in the academy prior to qualifying for UEFA tournaments. Barely a solitary extra young Englishman will benefit, and many kids will continue to suffer because our grass roots coaching is simply substandard compared to the nations which we aspire to compete with.

that's a shame, why isn't the English acadamy system as good as other European countries systems? if that is indeed correct then the acadamys at English clubs should definitely be improved.

Arsenal don't have the money to buy English players. Simple as. Their biggest signing in the past few years has been Reyes, whose transfer fee is dwarfed by the likes of what United paid for Wayne Rooney. Walcott, too, come to think of it. Consider also a significant portion of money available to them has gone to their new stadium and you'll find that despite their G14 status Arsenal simply have less cash than other clubs.

Besides, if one wants to be really pedantic about foreigners within a youth system Arsenal aren't the only ones. United have had loads of Scandinavians on their books, as well as that kid from Barcelona (Pique). If you look down the leagues, there's teh same thing occuring. Hell, at Ipswich, we've got in our youth side a couple of Icelanders and there'll be a New Zealander taking up an academy scholarship this year. Owen Garvan and Chris Casement, both of whom are now in the first team or thereabouts (Garvan anyway) are Irishmen.

Villareal knocked out Inter :drool: awesome, even if I'm sorry for Luis Figo, I never liked Inter...

And yeah, I think this year it will be Barca's year too. They knocked Benfica, that shit club... :applaud: :dancing: I hate them...

And the World Cup... I bet on Argentina, but I hope Portugal makes a surprise like the 2000 and 2004 European Cups. To leave the 2002 ghost behind... it's all I want...

Man U 2 - 0 Arsenal

well done united, two well taken goals. God knows what Wenger was thinking leaving Henry on the bench :huh:

he got punished for it big time, maybe if he had started Henry instead of Adebayor the result may have been different...

what. the. HELL was arsenal thinking leaving henry on the bench till the 72 minute????

why was he sitting at all? is he hurt??

what am i missing here?? this is one of the world's BEST in an absolutely critical game.

?? what am i not getting here?

You kinda thought that if it had been Henry rather than RVP or Adebayor in those situations where they smashed it high over van der Sar's goal Arsenal would have won comfortably.

I was equally surprised with Reyes' non-appearance; without him the midfield lacked that extra bit of pace that he brings.

even withstanding Henry being absent, Utd were very good. Rooney was giving the arsenal defense problems the whole game after the first 15 minutes (especially senderos sp? )

i reckon if Henry would have played it would have been a more even game, but him being there wouldn't have stopped Rooney troubling arsenal.

Rooney is class :drool: (not saying Henry isn't) i can't wait for the world cup :rockon:

1stepcloser said:

showed those boring Italians a thing or 2.

:tsk:

You should have known that I would come back a day or the other....................................this attack will cost you a lot, look at your shoulders, a boring italian may stab your back! :mad:
:wink:
I can only forgive you because you were taliking about Juve!

Villarreal kicked us off......................I can't still believe it, I'm eating my own flesh since that day.................................:scream:
I should become a Polo fan, I have enough of football!! I have enough of losing every time.......................why, why................why should I cry every time, it's time to change my passion, time to water marguerites and poppies........................I HATE FOOTBALL

babyman said:
Villarreal kicked us off......................I can't still believe it, I'm eating my own flesh since that day.................................:scream:
I should become a Polo fan, I have enough of football!! I have enough of losing every time.......................why, why................why should I cry every time, it's time to change my passion, time to water marguerites and poppies........................I HATE FOOTBALL

:no: however bad it is, don't say that!

babyman said:

:tsk:

You should have known that I would come back a day or the other....................................this attack will cost you a lot, look at your shoulders, a boring italian may stab your back! :mad:
I can only forgive you because you were taliking about Juve!

haha well i hate Juve so i was glad to see them go out!

Where have you been lately then?? This thread needs some of the regulars back!

Good to see Recoba getting a few more games for Inter

^And I couldn't get drunk because of Juve's wonderful defeat because stupid Inter once again made the perfect shit................................I'm so sick with this team................:sad:
And Recoba...........yeah, the everlasting sleepy, this man wasn't, isn't, and wont be the player to carry a team............we got him since 10 years still waiting to see him explode.................I would set fire in his ass!

Good to see all of you again, mate! It was a busy period for me at University, I made a couple of real heavy jurisprudence exams, now I'm free again for a while and glad to talk about football!

Nice to see that after RockingEdge's "The Latest Footie Thread" title, Aardvark got another "late" title........................:wink:

the rockin edge said:

:no: however bad it is, don't say that!

You don't know what it means to be Inter fan....................even such bad smelling thoughts such "I hate football" can invade your mind, my friend....................and it hurts your soul.............

Back
Top Bottom