Stones Play Mainland China for First Time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
"Strutting, preening and greeting the audience in Chinese, the Rolling Stones made their debut in mainland China on Saturday in a censored — but still raucous — show."

"The "world's greatest rock 'n' roll band" opened their show with "Start Me Up," a song with suggestive lyrics that apparently made it past the censors who banned five other hits. They then pounded through almost two hours of classic rock."

""Dajia hao ma?" — or "How's everybody doing?" — Mick Jagger yelled to the packed house at Shanghai's 8,000-seat indoor stadium, where the audience was overwhelmingly foreign. Some paid more than $600 each for tickets."

"In another reminder of the heavy hand of China's authoritarian government, the Stones were told not to sing five of their songs, apparently because of their suggestive lyrics."

"The songs were believed to be "Brown Sugar," "Honky Tonk Women," "Beast of Burden," "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "Rough Justice." But "Start Me Up" slipped through."

"Four decades into their career, the Stones remain relatively unknown in China. It did not help that ticket prices ranged up to $374 — about three months' wages for most Chinese."

The entire article can be found here:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=220708&GT1=7702

the rockin edge said:
so they can play "start me up" unedited in china but not at the superbowl?

Everyone knows Superbowl watchers have such delicate ears they can't handle "Start Me Up."

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom