Stone Temple Pilots "Purple"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Was listening to this album the other day after aaaages! I'd forgotten how good it was! Vasoline, Interstate Love Song, Lounge Fly, Meatplow, Still Remains, Big Empty, Kitchen Ware & Candy Bars... lots of good stuff!

B000002IZ4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Relive the nostalgia :drool: :wink:

Last edited:
This one has Pretty Penny or whatever it's called, doesn't it...
I do like this album. It used to shit me when I got it because I dont think I knew what it was called.
:up:

Angela Harlem said:
This one has Pretty Penny or whatever it's called, doesn't it...

:yes: Purple doesn't rock as hard as Core but it's got some really nice psychedelic and eerie melodies along with the grunge staples like Meatplow and Vasoline. I guess they were seen as this second level johnny come latelys to the gunge scene and I would even agree somewhat, with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Nirvana occupying the first level. But I still love a good amount of STP's work. And really, bands like Collective Soul and Bush were the latecomers to the grunge scene! Anyway, their hits CD Thank You looks like a great collection but I only have Core and Purple.

Okay so what's everyone's favorite STP song? Plush? Vasoline? Mine's probably one of those 2... can't decide ;)

Purple is good, but they really didn't start writing their eerie psychedelic stuff until Shangri-La Dee Da. Songs like Wonderful, Black Again, and others...

But they never wrote a great album after Puple, it's too bad, they had great potential.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Purple is good, but they really didn't start writing their eerie psychedelic stuff until Shangri-La Dee Da. Songs like Wonderful, Black Again, and others...

Okay I haven't listened to Shangri-La Dee Da but there are definitely what I consider dark and eerie almost psychedelic melodies in songs like Lounge Fly, parts of Big Empty and the intro to Army Ants. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

Okay I haven't listened to Shangri-La Dee Da but there are definitely what I consider dark and eerie almost psychedelic melodies in songs like Lounge Fly, parts of Big Empty and the intro to Army Ants. :shrug:

True, but Shangri best tracks are more a cross between Doors and Beatles.

But the bad tracks are bad, almost unlistenable. I'd burn it from a friend...

Zootlesque said:

:yes: Purple doesn't rock as hard as Core but it's got some really nice psychedelic and eerie melodies along with the grunge staples like Meatplow and Vasoline. I guess they were seen as this second level johnny come latelys to the gunge scene and I would even agree somewhat, with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Nirvana occupying the first level. But I still love a good amount of STP's work. And really, bands like Collective Soul and Bush were the latecomers to the grunge scene! Anyway, their hits CD Thank You looks like a great collection but I only have Core and Purple.

Okay so what's everyone's favorite STP song? Plush? Vasoline? Mine's probably one of those 2... can't decide ;)

You think Collective Soul is grunge? :hmm: Perhaps they are. I've always thought there was this pop element to their sound. Not strictly speaking, but enough. I love both them and Bush, though.
My favourite STP song is probably Interstate Love Song. Though Plush I think is better. Hmm, yeah Plush. But I'm not convinced either way on these, lol.

Angela Harlem said:
You think Collective Soul is grunge? :hmm: Perhaps they are. I've always thought there was this pop element to their sound. Not strictly speaking, but enough.

Well... I guess you could call them neo-grunge or whatever but you can't deny that they were both influenced by the grunge phenomenon.

Big Empty is my favorite STP song. Purple is a fantastic album and Tiny Music... is pretty brilliant, too.

Back
Top Bottom