Stone Roses- because 2 threads ain't enough!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
The legendary band from Manchester and there's only TWO threads on them?! :tsk:

I wanna be adored
Begging You :drool:
Waterfall
Made of Stone :rockon:
Fools Gold
This is the One :drool:
Elephant Stone

...and many more top 'choons' and there's only TWO threads on them?! :eek:

Maybe everything that needed to be discussed about the Roses were discussed in those two threads? Lord knows. 'Love Spreads' is a great song, and that first album is a veritable classic.

EVERYONE should own the 1989 self-titled disc. It is easy to forget just how influential that CD was. Without the Stone Roses debut album, there is no Achtung Baby/Zooropa, U2's creative zenith.

That album is a simple masterpiece. I still throw it in from time to time. I remember they really filled that void for me between Rattle and Hum and Achtung. I must admit, for a brief period of time, they threatened to take over as my favorite band. But Achtung came along and Stone Roses never recorded anything close to their debut magic.

The self-titled album is my favourite album of all time. I never tire of listening to such gorgeous sounds. It represents what music should be all about.

Second Coming is nowhere near the quality of it's predecessor, although it still features some killer tracks. Daybreak and Tears being my two favourites, followed by Love Spreads, How Do You Sleep and Ten Storey Love Song.

What the Second Coming should be remembered for however, is evidence that the Roses were a band who were willing to change their sound and try new things. Whilst the legendary debut was somewhat "Byrdsian" or "Beatlesque" (with a hint of the Smiths and the "Madchester" groove), the Second Coming was more Zeppelinesque, and songs like Begging You and Straight to the Man are unquestionable departures from the "old" Roses sound.

Personally, I feel that the main problem with the Second Coming is the flow of the album, particularly concerning several tracks which I can't help but view as filler (Tightrope, Your Star Will Shine).

But the Roses were amazing. How amazing is Mersey Paradise! I'm mad fer 'em, and if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have the Oasis I adore so much...

I need to check out Ian Brown's solo work...

It's good to see some Stone Roses love. My wife had never heard of them and I threw them in and she was floored. How could you not love their stuff? With a little more vision, better management, and a sense of purpose - these guys could have definitely been as big as U2. I doubt they could have ever touched souls as U2 does, but they could have been just as popular.

Some great songs indeed though I only got into them a while after they split up - I missed them first time around.:up:

Ian Brown's solo stuff is good too.

Yep girlhappy- from their first album. Great song as well :drool:

I love this band, but is it just me, or is some of the production on many of their songs almost unbearable?

Sometimes the vocals just get lost...at least on the greatest hits CD I have.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I love this band, but is it just me, or is some of the production on many of their songs almost unbearable?

Sometimes the vocals just get lost...at least on the greatest hits CD I have.

That's just how rock was done at the time (shoegaze, dreampop, etc.) Music before vocals.

I finally picked up Second Coming recently and it's much better than I was expecting. After reading nothing but negative reactions about it everywhere I ever looked, I've been pleasantly surprised with how much I've enjoyed it. Sure, it is definitely the lesser of their two releases, but it's a billion times better than most people seem to make it out to be. Look forward to getting to know it better, but as of now 'Ten Story Love Song' is my fav. from it.

^lol. Actually reading your post made me go listen to this song to check it out again.:up:

The whole album is great, though I still haven't given it as much of a listen as the first, as I only purchased it fairly recently.

I'd like to add that I bloody love 'Made of Stone'. What a great song.

EDIT: And I Am the Resurrection as well - what a brilliant song to end an album with. Heck - listening to the Stone Roses is so much better than writing the four essays :uhoh: that I need to do. :cool:

Last edited:
Tilli said:

EDIT: And I Am the Resurrection as well - what a brilliant song to end an album with. Heck - listening to the Stone Roses is so much better than writing the four essays :uhoh: that I need to do. :cool:

hahaha too true about the essays :yes:

A couple more of my favorites:

She Bangs the Drums
One Love
Fool's Gold
This Is the One

zoney! said:
Oasis would be nowhere if they did not steal Stone Roses sound.

And The Beatles'. :wink:

Well, I liked Second Coming enough to decide to pick up 'The Complete Stone Roses' cd today. I figure it more or less has all the big non-album singles, bsides, etc. that I'd want. Sadly, I think this kinda completes my Stone Roses collection since there really isn't much else to buy that I'd need. :( Looking forward to finally hearing 'Sally Cinnamon'is, 'What the World is Waiting For, and 'One Love', I always see that they're listened to quite a bit on Last FM.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom