"Stolen Melodies"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Total U2 Nut said:
Also, the new Madonna song is a rip off of this Abba song (mental block - can't remember the name)

Hung Up is not a rip off of Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight). She samples the Abba song and gives it proper credit.
:wink:

I have two stolen riffs..one is a bass riff and one is a guitar riff...

Queen feat. David Bowie - Under Pressure
Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby

It's the exact same bass riff and everyone knew it. Seeing Vanilla Ice trying to defend himself by claiming that the riff in his song was somehow different by one note or something was one of the most disgusting things I've seen a musical artist - and I use both of those terms 'musical' and 'artist' very, very loosely in this instance - do.

U2 - One
Craig David - Walking Away

It's the same exact riff. Although U2 may have given their permission. I don't know.

Phil Colins- "Oh how is wish it would rain, rain down on me. Oooo how I wish it would rain..."

Pink Floyd- "How I wish, how I wish you here. We're just 2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl...."

namkcuR said:
Queen feat. David Bowie - Under Pressure
Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby

How could I forget that one! :banghead:

GibsonGirl said:

Maybe not. But it's still a rather amazing coincidence, don't you think?

"All you create
All you destroy"

"All you create
All that you wreck"

Yes, an amazing coincidence.

Just a coincidence. create - destroy/wreck - these words are polar opposites which is a common writing approach.

if we start listing samples this thread could become quite long...

anyhoo...

"anybody seen my baby" by the rolling stones & "constant craving" by k.d. lang.

when someone pointed out to mick that the chorus for "anybody..." sounded an awful lot like the chorus for "constant craving," mick listnened to the song, agreed, and actually gave k.d. lang a songwriting credit on the album, even though mick claimed to have never heard the song.

ADecentMelody said:

Just a coincidence. create - destroy/wreck - these words are polar opposites which is a common writing approach.

I'm quite familiar with common writing approaches, thanks. :) That was just an example. The main similarities between those two songs, for me, lie in the structure. Structurally and thematically, they're almost identical. Same general idea, same number of syllables in most lines, same form of vocal delivery (disregarding the small melodic differences.) I know it's a coincidence - I'm just saying it's a bloody big one.

Back
Top Bottom