Sting: What's the verdict?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
What happened to this man?
I just saw his most recent video, and the music and video might as well be Britney.

Just to refresh your memories, he wrote some of the greatest post-punk tunes of the era:
message in a bottle
king of pain
synchronicity I & II
wrapped around your finger
spirits in the material world
invisible sun
driven to tears
walking on the moon
etc.

not to mention his solo albums "nothing like the sun" "the soul cages" &"ten summoners tales" are great.

so what's the deal? an old man trying to stay current, or he genuinly likes this musical direction?

btw, the same used to be said about miles davis in the 80's.:bow:

I feel your pain to an extent. I still wish he would just get back with The Police...... Though I do like a lot of his solo stuff, I like pretty much anything he did with The Police more.

I havent heard the new song, I'll have to keep my eyes out for it (and ears)

i don't like his new stuff so much...with the police he had a jam band type atmosphere live, and they wrote some great songs...but his stuff now seems too...um...cheesy or something...just my opinion

If you try to keep up with the music that is happening now people will say that you are just an old man that is trying to stay current but doesn't really know what you're doing.

If you stay with the same kind of music you were doing before people will say that you are an old man who is just living in the past and can't stay relevant.

I think he is trying to do the best music possible but at the same time embracing new ideas. As you get older I think that?s really what you are bound to do cause I guess the bigger inspiration must come to him now from new bands and new sounds. All that you could take and all the music you could make that came from your roots must have ?ended?. The source is dry. I?m not a Sting fan but I like this kind of discussion. :) :wave:

I'm a huge Police fan but i agree with BrazilianFly .... even great bands have expiry dates. I'm not a fan of his new stuff but the police at the Hall of Fame gave me an idea of how "rolling stones"-ish they would be if he still continued with the band.

BTW it's not that I think that The Police or Sting couldn't make good music anymore, they're good musicians I?m sure the can make good music if they really want to. I mean look at Bruce Springsteen, The Rising is one of his best records but it's just that I think it's only natural and normal for them to be inspired by newer sounds. And more probable too.

I've been a Sting fan for a long time now. I saw the Police during their 'Ghost in the Machine' tour. They were amazing. I admit I'm not as fond of Sting's latest album as I have been or previous ones. Still, I bought tickets to see him and Annie Lennox in October and I'm really looking forward to it. :yes:

I've been a Police/Sting fan since I was little, I do very much prefer the work he did with the Police and I do actuallyu love a lot of his solo work up until the album Brand New Day which I think has a fantastic sound and inspiration about it, but his stuff after that album I haven't really got into...

Have to give the ole Stinger credit for still making music and touring. I think he's toured every summer for the last couple of years. I know I've seen him twice but will not be going this year.

I do have the Brand New Day album it was alright , nothing fantastic in my opinion.

I wish he would do a reunion tour with The Ploice,,that would be so exciting to see if they could make it thru the shows night after night without any IMPLOSIONS!

Sting alone is just too safe, bring back Andy & Stuart.

<I know I'm dreaming:wink: >

I used to love Sting when he was with The Police, and I really liked his early, jazzy solo work. Now he just annoys me. It's like he took some kind of vow to be as bland, boring and adult contemporary as possible. :(

I am huge fan of Sting. :D I love his old stuff but am a bigger fan of his new material. :heart: I am going to his concert in Sept and I cannot wait. :hyper:

Sting lost his sting after Summoner's Tales. He was amazing with Police and he had some really great solo work at first but then it just started to taste like left overs.

I don't like ANY of his solo stuff. The Police rocked, but the chemistry they had together was not in Sting's solo work.

i don't know whether i like the police or sting's solo stuff better because it's so different. the police was post-punk and classic rock, but sting made jazzy-pop music. i like them both.

although i will say i don't like his new album as much as i've liked his previous stuff. i didn't mind the jaguar or apple commercials, but now i feel he's just trying to appeal only to the upper class really. i don't know, now i just feel poor listening to his music, like i should be sipping cristal while listening to it.

he's not even coming here on his tour so it's a moot point for me as to whether or not i'd see him in concert. i know musicians grow and change over time and their style evolves. you *have* to change to remain relevent, especially after 20+ years like sting. but in the past he's always managed to take what's popular at the time and tie it in with his own style. now i feel he's just taking what's popular and going with that. you know, no uniqueness whatsoever.

KhanadaRhodes said:
although i will say i don't like his new album as much as i've liked his previous stuff. i didn't mind the jaguar or apple commercials, but now i feel he's just trying to appeal only to the upper class really. i don't know, now i just feel poor listening to his music, like i should be sipping cristal while listening to it.

:lol: Exactly! I feel like he falls into the "music for yuppies" category now, which is really sad.

About the only recent thing of his I do like is "Desert Rose." That's a cool song.

The Police a fricken sweet, and Stings solo albums were great until Ten Summoners tale(like someone already said) I love dream of the blue turtles, and soul cages, and nothing like the sun. I bought his new album, and couldnt even listen to the whole thing, I havent listened to it since.

I don't like Sting by himself. I grew up on the Police. Why did they break up anyway? I keep on hoping there will be a reunion but then I think Sting has mellowed so much and has so little interest that it would probably be a waste.

For me his songs are pleasent enough as background music. Not much more than that though.

the police are my 2nd fave band, sting is probably my fave solo artist.. though i do think his
newer stuff cant be compared to this police-era work or other solo work, i still think his voice is amazing and still continues to write amazing lyrics!

I like Sting. I don't follow him too closely, but he has some extraordinary songs, it just takes a little sifting through to get to them. The stuff I've heard on the radio in the last few years has been pretty disappointing overall, but I have Mercury Falling and Ten Summoner's Tales and both are really good albums.

Needs to be with the Police to make totally awesome music i think. I only like about half the songs on that Sting greatest hits CD.

Then again, I only liked about half the songs on Syncronicity too... ("Mother" is by far the worst song I have ever heard heheh)

u2popmofo said:
I feel your pain to an extent. I still wish he would just get back with The Police...... Though I do like a lot of his solo stuff, I like pretty much anything he did with The Police more.

I havent heard the new song, I'll have to keep my eyes out for it (and ears)

Yeah, if The Police could come back...that would be amazing!! Sting has a lot of great songs, but I don't like his last record. I haven't seen the video either.

I heard the most horribly bad joke about Sting today froma friend who knows I like Sting (saw him at UMB concert in STL - miserable night -wet/rainy but the concert rocked)
here the bad joke
"when sting retires will he still call himself sting or will call himself stung?"

see really bad:wink:

fah said:
I've been a Sting fan for a long time now. I saw the Police during their 'Ghost in the Machine' tour. They were amazing. I admit I'm not as fond of Sting's latest album as I have been or previous ones. Still, I bought tickets to see him and Annie Lennox in October and I'm really looking forward to it. :yes:

I am still looking forward to seeing Sting/Annie next month :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom