Sting: What's the verdict? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 08:42 PM
I don't like ANY of his solo stuff. The Police rocked, but the chemistry they had together was not in Sting's solo work.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:32 PM   #17
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:42 PM
i don't know whether i like the police or sting's solo stuff better because it's so different. the police was post-punk and classic rock, but sting made jazzy-pop music. i like them both.

although i will say i don't like his new album as much as i've liked his previous stuff. i didn't mind the jaguar or apple commercials, but now i feel he's just trying to appeal only to the upper class really. i don't know, now i just feel poor listening to his music, like i should be sipping cristal while listening to it.

he's not even coming here on his tour so it's a moot point for me as to whether or not i'd see him in concert. i know musicians grow and change over time and their style evolves. you *have* to change to remain relevent, especially after 20+ years like sting. but in the past he's always managed to take what's popular at the time and tie it in with his own style. now i feel he's just taking what's popular and going with that. you know, no uniqueness whatsoever.

Old 07-11-2004, 04:35 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
although i will say i don't like his new album as much as i've liked his previous stuff. i didn't mind the jaguar or apple commercials, but now i feel he's just trying to appeal only to the upper class really. i don't know, now i just feel poor listening to his music, like i should be sipping cristal while listening to it.
Exactly! I feel like he falls into the "music for yuppies" category now, which is really sad.

About the only recent thing of his I do like is "Desert Rose." That's a cool song.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:20 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
About the only recent thing of his I do like is "Desert Rose." That's a cool song.
Yes, yes, it is. .

Angela
Old 09-24-2004, 01:41 PM   #20
Refugee

The Police a fricken sweet, and Stings solo albums were great until Ten Summoners tale(like someone already said) I love dream of the blue turtles, and soul cages, and nothing like the sun. I bought his new album, and couldnt even listen to the whole thing, I havent listened to it since.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:10 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 12:42 PM
I don't like Sting by himself. I grew up on the Police. Why did they break up anyway? I keep on hoping there will be a reunion but then I think Sting has mellowed so much and has so little interest that it would probably be a waste.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:20 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:42 PM
For me his songs are pleasent enough as background music. Not much more than that though.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:21 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

the police are my 2nd fave band, sting is probably my fave solo artist.. though i do think his
newer stuff cant be compared to this police-era work or other solo work, i still think his voice is amazing and still continues to write amazing lyrics!
Old 09-24-2004, 11:37 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
I used to love Sting when he was with The Police,

Sting with Police was good...i dont particularly like his solo career..except for few songs..
Old 09-25-2004, 03:26 AM   #25
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I like Sting. I don't follow him too closely, but he has some extraordinary songs, it just takes a little sifting through to get to them. The stuff I've heard on the radio in the last few years has been pretty disappointing overall, but I have Mercury Falling and Ten Summoner's Tales and both are really good albums.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:45 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Needs to be with the Police to make totally awesome music i think. I only like about half the songs on that Sting greatest hits CD.

Then again, I only liked about half the songs on Syncronicity too... ("Mother" is by far the worst song I have ever heard heheh)
Old 09-25-2004, 10:19 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I feel your pain to an extent. I still wish he would just get back with The Police...... Though I do like a lot of his solo stuff, I like pretty much anything he did with The Police more.

I havent heard the new song, I'll have to keep my eyes out for it (and ears)
Yeah, if The Police could come back...that would be amazing!! Sting has a lot of great songs, but I don't like his last record. I haven't seen the video either.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #28
New Yorker

yeah I do love Desert Rose, That is one of the most beautiful songs ever with real energy as well.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:53 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I heard the most horribly bad joke about Sting today froma friend who knows I like Sting (saw him at UMB concert in STL - miserable night -wet/rainy but the concert rocked)
here the bad joke
"when sting retires will he still call himself sting or will call himself stung?"

see really bad
Old 09-25-2004, 09:58 PM   #30
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by fah
I've been a Sting fan for a long time now. I saw the Police during their 'Ghost in the Machine' tour. They were amazing. I admit I'm not as fond of Sting's latest album as I have been or previous ones. Still, I bought tickets to see him and Annie Lennox in October and I'm really looking forward to it.
I am still looking forward to seeing Sting/Annie next month