Sting calls Rock Music of today a "Bore"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Is he right?? Or Wrong???

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...9260984_RTRUKOC_0_US-STING.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

BERLIN (Reuters) - Sting said contemporary rock music is so stagnant that he prefers to sing 16th century English ballads.

The former teacher who shot to fame as lead singer, bassist and composer in the 1970s and 80s for The Police told German newspaper Die Zeit that he prefers singing songs of Elizabethan lutenist and composer John Dowland to the rock music of today.

His album of Dowland lute music "Songs from the Labyrinth" has topped classical charts on both sides of the Atlantic and entered the UK album chart at No. 24.

"Rock music has come to a standstill -- it's not going forward any

more, it only bores me," Die Zeit quoted Sting as saying.

The 55-year-old singer, real name Gordon Sumner, had a string of hits with The Police with songs like "Roxanne" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me". He has since also had a lucrative solo career with songs like "Englishman in New York".

"Forty years ago it was my dream to break out of Newcastle and never be poor again," he told the magazine.

"I'm very privileged. I'm a successful musician, live in a beautiful house, and have a wonderful family."

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

He is correct that most rock music today (at least most popular rock music) is boring. Unfortunately almost all of Sting's music of the past 15 or so years fits that classification too.

indra said:
He is correct that most rock music today (at least most popular rock music) is boring. Unfortunately almost all of Sting's music of the past 15 or so years fits that classification too.

Almost everything he's done since the Police fits that description.

bayernfc said:

Almost everything he's done since the Police fits that description.

I agree with Sting

What do you want him to do?. Pretend to be a rock star as 55, like Kiss? :down:

It's so pathetic to listen to old dinosaurs showing past their prime like Deep Purple, Kiss, Ozzy Osbourne, etc, etc (even U2, sorry folks) singing the same greatest hits again and again.

At least Sting hastried different things, music for films, jazz, electronica, strings compositions, moroccan music, etc with more or less success, but at least he has tried :up: He has just doing right, writing songs according to his age !

How I wish I looked like him when I'm 55 :cool:

sting1.jpg

I don't remember mentioning Kiss or any other washed up brands....oops...bands. I was never a die-hard fan of Police anyway, although Copeland was a fantastic drummer.

YEP.

Rock and Roll Stops the Traffic

It also stops attention spans

Most music of ANY era is quite boring. Almost as boring as the fans that obsess over it.

Lightning strikes every once in a while. But it is almost never duplicated in effect

Sting and U2 are among the few who have even attempted dreaming it all up again,,,,NOT ALWAYS WITH THE BEST RESULTS

Sting on the lute :drool:

and that's not boring.

(although the Fields of Gold he played on Studio 60 was really good and touching)

Considering the drivel he's inflicted on us over the years, Boring music is a subject I'd expect him to know an awful lot about!

so long as Sting keeps running into the ocean while swinging a sword, his music will never be that boring.

i can't believe he's 55.

jimmmm said:
Considering the drivel he's inflicted on us over the years, Boring music is a subject I'd expect him to know an awful lot about!
He can have sex for 6 hours straight. He can say whatever the fuck he wants to.

i wonder if sting ventures out of his castle to discover new music, or is simply critiquing what he has piped in via the radio/tv.
popular music is a bore, but there's tons of good shit happening out there. it's a different industry than when he broke in, but he should remember that even he began in the little, sweaty clubs. maybe he should head to one for an evening and see what pops up.

oh yeah, and his recent solo shit sounds like shit, i won't even comment on the smell...:ohmy:

Isn't it, though? It's lush and beautiful. I'm a fan of several songs on that album, actually. 'A Thousand Years' is great, and I love the switch from country to gospel in 'Fill Her Up'.

His last album didn't do anything for me, which was a disappointment, but I'm very curious to check out his new disc.

I like Sting but have to disagree with him. There's so much good rock out there today like Muse, Killers, Keane, Snow Patrol etc.

corianderstem said:
I've always really liked Sting's solo stuff.

Apparently I'm a big freak.

:reject:

:hug: :wink: I like a bunch of his solo work too including stuff from Ten Summoner's Tales, Mercury Falling & Brand New Day, not to mention the older songs like All This Time, Soul Cages, Englishman In NY etc. :drool:

I heard his new album today. I appreciate what he's doing and like that he's doing something different, but it wasn't for me.

And the poetry-reading between the songs is just :rolleyes:

The Police were one of my first serious favorites when I began developing my own musical taste back in the Middle Ages. :D Although I lost track of his solo work after the first few albums, I can tell you this: Mr. Blu & I saw Sting w/Annie Lennox a few years ago on their tour together & the man can still fuckin' groove! He & his band did about a 10 minute jam version of Roxanne that I would now seriously harm someone for a bootleg copy.

And he still looked as sexy as he did when I first fell for him in 1983. :drool: :drool: :drool:

ponkine said:

I agree with Sting

What do you want him to do?. Pretend to be a rock star as 55, like Kiss? :down:

It's so pathetic to listen to old dinosaurs showing past their prime like Deep Purple, Kiss, Ozzy Osbourne, etc, etc (even U2, sorry folks) singing the same greatest hits again and again.

At least Sting hastried different things, music for films, jazz, electronica, strings compositions, moroccan music, etc with more or less success, but at least he has tried :up: He has just doing right, writing songs according to his age !

How I wish I looked like him when I'm 55 :cool:

sting1.jpg

Comparing Sting with real rock bands it's like comparing apples and oranges, and U2 doesn't rely on tours made by greatest hits, they are one of the few "old bands" who actually can get away with singing 7-10 songs from their new records in each tour

I enjoy a lot of Sting's solo songs but others are boring as hell and what do you expect for rock bands to start doing jazz and string compositions? I rather see Kiss or The Stones now that not to see them at all would you rather not see Pink Floyd reunite because they are past their prime?

Of all the bands in the 70s and 80s that broke up, The Police is the one that upsets me the most. Look at the mark they left on popular music after just five albums!
Imagine if they had kept recording through the rest of the 80s and into the 90s....
Sting's solo work has been mediocre with some spots of brilliance (Fields of Gold, Desert Rose, etc.), and he needs to hear a band like Muse. Their songs are incredibly heavy, yet a song like "Starlight" in some ways reminds me of more "poppy" Police songs like Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, except with a fresh, 2000s sound.
Other bands like Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers and Kaiser Chiefs have created a great new alternative scene that continues to flourish.
Rock music was nearly dead 8-10 years ago (in the age of Jay-Z and Britney Spears, and oh god, Fred Durst). Today, it is alive and well.
Sting is entirely wrong, and should redeem himself with a call to his old chums, Andy and Stewart.

Back
Top Bottom