Stick a fork in 'em... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:27 PM
Stick a fork in 'em...

Quote:
From the AP
With no miracle save in sight and a weekend deadline long gone, the NHL made plans for a news conference Tuesday to cancel what little remained of a season already decimated by a lockout.

A public relations executive, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that planning was under way Monday for NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to make the announcement at a news conference in New York.

The Canadian Press, citing an unidentified source, said Bettman will cancel the season at the news conference.

The NHL would become the first major professional league in North America to cancel an entire season because of a labor dispute. This would mark the first time the Stanley Cup was not awarded since a flu epidemic canceled the finals in 1919.

Asked about The Canadian Press report, NHL spokesman Frank Brown said the league had no comment at this time.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:57 AM
A moment of silence please.........................................................................

NHL 2004-2005 R.I.P

Ok. I'm over it.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

And still nobody south of Canada noticed.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

What's this "NHL" you speak of?
Old 02-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:27 PM
worst people ever. i can't believe these assclowns haven't bee assaulted by crazy fans yet for destroying the best game of all time.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Rest in Peace, NHL. Lord knows you aren't coming back after this is all over. Even Canada is moving on.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:27 AM
I kind of forgot the lockout was going on with the AHL being right in my backyard.

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

good on you for paying attention to the ahl. they're nothing more than a bunch of classy players who might not be quite as good, but they certainly try as hard.

it's good hockey.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:27 AM
The AHL got me into hockey in the first place. When the team came here--sheesh, six years ago now--I really enjoyed going to the first few games I attended, and so then I just started watching more NHL on television, reading books and websites, etc.

So the AHL is responsible for me liking hockey at all.

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

AHL
Junior Hockey
Old 02-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I have yet to make it to a Gladiators game.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:28 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

An unhappy valentine's day to you Bob and Gary.

I'm too saddened to make harsher words.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:19 AM   #13
Refugee

The whole thing makes me sick.

I agree with the AHL thing, I have had a chance to go to a Roadrunners game and watch some on tv. Good hockey there people.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:37 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Oh my god...could there be the faintest glimmer of hope?

NHLPA offers cap, NHL rejects it
Canadian Press
2/15/2005

NEW YORK (CP) - The No. 1 issue that has plagued the NHL lockout went out the window Monday night when the NHL Players' Association offered a deal that included a $52-million US salary cap.

But the deal was rejected by the NHL.

The surprising move was made by NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin during his secret meeting with NHL executive vice-president Bill Daly in Niagara Falls, N.Y.

According to an NHLPA statement, Daly began the process Monday by offering a $40-million salary cap without ''linkage'' - a fixed link between player costs and league revenues, which has long been the centrepiece of the NHL's bid for cost certainty.

The union counter-offered with the $52-million team-by-team salary cap. The players' proposal also featured more aggressive payroll tax thresholds and tax rates on team payrolls.

''It is indeed unfortunate that with the major steps taken by both sides today we were unable to build enough momentum to reach an agreement,'' Saskin said in a statement released early Tuesday morning.

The union's offer also included the 24 per cent salary rollback on all existing contracts.

These latest developments came as the NHL announced a news conference for Wednesday at 1 p.m. EST in New York when commissioner Gary Bettman is expected to announce the cancellation of the 2004-2005 season.

While no talks were planned for Tuesday, the fact that both sides made dramatic moves from their longstanding positions Monday night could spur on more last-ditch efforts to save the season.

As it stands, the players have finally accepted a salary cap for the first time in their history while the league gave up on linkage. Now the two sides are separated by $12 million on their cap figures. And with the rollback, two-thirds of the league's teams would be under $40 million.

But is it too late?

Earlier on Monday night, the league sent out a statement saying talks between Daly and Saskin produced ''no progress.''

Bettman's news conference was originally slated for Tuesday, according to a source, but pushed back a day as Daly and Saskin met late into the night.

It all made for a roller-coaster day.

''I've said all along, until someone tells me it's over, it's not,'' Devils GM and CEO Lou Lamoriello said from his New Jersey office Monday. ''It's too easy to be negative.

''There's no question we have something scheduled at this point for Wednesday. It's looking very bleak right now but it's not over.''

The Devils boss also offered some advice.

''To me, let's get rid of all these buzz words (salary cap, luxury tax) and get something done that works for everybody,'' he said.

Should the worst happen Wednesday, the NHL will become the first major professional league in North America to cancel an entire season from start to finish. But Bettman says the damage the NHL will suffer as a result is worth it in order to get ''cost certainty'' for his owners.

The NHL and the union met for more than five hours with U.S. federal mediators in Washington on Sunday but still could not make any progress. Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow were not at the meeting. Daly, the NHL's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, and outside counsel Bob Batterman represented the league while Saskin, the NHLPA's senior director, and outside counsel John McCambridge were there for the union.

So much of the season has already been scrapped. Through Monday, 824 of the 1,230 regular-season games have gone by the wayside.

If an agreement can still be reached, the league has a shortened schedule ready to go that would see teams play 28 regular-season games, playing only within their conference. The playoffs would stay the same and consist of four rounds.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #15
Refugee

Not to take a page out of diamond's book of how to post at interference, but all I have to say to the NHL owners is this...