Steve Waugh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
There has been speculation for some time now about when the Captain of the Australian Cricket team will step down.
It's official, he's just made an announcement. He will retire in January 2004.
He's had a brilliant career and is loved by many...especially by one unlikely visitor to our shores, Salome. I'm so glad he'll get to see him play, and in Angela's company. I think they are just seeing one day of the test, so I hope when someone goes out, Steve goes in and he stays in and he doesn't go out.....I hope it's a long knock, preferably with his brother at the other end. The team for the match will be announced tomorrow.
His last walk to the pavillion will be a sad sight to see.
He has done the baggy green proud.Best wishes to him in his retirement.

" he has set a great example of the way the game should be played..."
"..he is someone I have admired, he has shown he is gutsy and I admire the work he does off-field..."Sachin Tendulkar

aww, the radio has just done a special segment about steve...his colleagues, the PM, the man himself...
he feels it's time to be home with his family and he plans to write a book. he think it will take him about a year to write......just in time for Santa to put it in Salome's stocking. I hope Sal gets to meet him on his "dreadlock holiday"....never say die.

boy, my dad sure has seen some captains come and go, I know he really admires Steve. He's going to love this season.

funniest thing happened
we arrived at the Gabba and even though we had to enter through gate 3 we had to go to gate 2 first to get angie's ticket

none of us were aware that at the gabba the practise nets are next to gate 2
when we got there play already started but guess who was still playing in the nets ...... Steve Waugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miraculous when you think about it
we saw him hit more balls than the people who did see his first innings :D

Steve's attitude towards sports is exemplary
definately a role model

:heart:

:lol:

that was the most bizarre thing. you would have been proud cass! our johan got sooo close to his hero :up:
the way i see it, if matt hayden could get 360 or 380 or whatever it was in that one dayer, steve should be able to get his goal. then again, he got that duck...
:hmm:

i'll be there on boxing day
when steve opens the batting scores 300 to become the greatest run socorer in test history and takes a couple of wickets to go into the 100 wicket takers club

You'll have so much fun. Even the expectation in the crowd will be incredible. I've never seen any sporting milestone live I dont think...I almost went to a game or 2 when Lockett was nearing getting his 1300 (just to change the topic completely) but missed it.
Hope you get to see it b_m'02!

he made 30, and doenst look like he will have to bat again
the record looks a little out of reach, he would have to play 1 more test series

I'm glad something a bit out of the ordinary happened and you got to see Steve...big old world , with lots of minutes in a day, so it was a lovely lucky course of events got you there:up:
Enjoy your day BM2002.

I had something nice and unexpected happen yesterday. I like listening to the commentary on the radio ( even all the carry-on about Asher Boglay...or however you spell his name) when I am working in the garden. I find it very relaxing and funny and enjoyable. I heard them say we have a special lunch -time guest...guess who?
WASIM AKRAM!!!! :applaud:
He is my favourite cricketer ...he was so low-key about his ability and the records he holds. I wish I had been at the Adelaide Oval yesterday.
Hub just poked his head through the window and said..."your mate just made a record"

my mate? bono? nuno? kasey?...made a record?

BRIAN LARA...:applaud:

and it's cricket.....on the radio:)

i cant get to boxing day....
1 - because i will be too tired after watching return of the king
and
2 - because my grandpearents dont wanna sit up in the top level of the great southern stand....

but i'm going on Day 2, and i will proberbley go along with general admition on day 3, hopefully steve makes at least 50...and then it sets things up for a big score at the SCG

"that was a magincant catch be steve WAUGH wo wo wo what is he good for"

"the two indian openers "Soonhe'll haveascar and Cut'is arminhalf"

you just cant get enough, of that funny 12th man stuff :)

just back from 2 great days of test cricket!

though i must say saturday was better becuase india collapsed and lost 6-16 and the aussies batted well
and some girl wearing a bikini top got cheered everytime she stood up :lol:

got to sit in the new ponsford stand (after standing on grand final day:sad:) today with my general admition ticket, PLENTY of leg room compared to saturdays experince with a "fat guy" infornt of me (thats not good for leg room when your 6 foot 3)

good old steve walked out everyone got up to cheer him, and 2 balls later after coping a nasty ball on the shoulder he retired hurt....most of the crowd seemed pretty dissapointed....
but never fear he came back out after Katich hit one to a fielder..
everyone cheered him on again :)

i had to leave when ponting scored his 200 (another standing applause)

great 2 days
and thats bonoman reporting for national nine news :wink:
seya steve :wave:

i couldnt go today...cause we drove back to shepparton on sunday....
i'd go tommrow but the aussies only need about 95 to win...and gates are open for free....but i cant

I would almost sell my liver and both my kidneys to be able to go to the Sydney test

but I probably wouldn't be able to enjoy it anyway without the liver and all

:(

I happened to "catch" some good moments of yesterday's play. I laughed when the radio commentator said "we could see some fireworks after tea". I made me think of Bilbo's party in Hobbiton.

I just happened to turn on the TV yesterday afternoon and saw Dizzy running in . I was thinking "that guy must be feeling so frustrated now, it would be hard to stay cool..blah blah **assorted thoughts** and WHAMMO! he cleaned bowled him with that ball...AT LAST!!
During the last test match, I heard some of the Indian spectators who had travelled to Australia being interviewed on the radio. They talked about how massive is the interest and support of cricket back home. They sure would have enjoyed yesterday. An impressive display.
It will be the mark of the man and also the mark of Australians ( and the media) how Steve Waugh's retirement is viewed and remembered.

i went to boxing day test on day 2....but i gotta be honest im not much of a fan of steve waugh....perosnally i think he shouldve retired a year or 2 ago......good player, but not one i can admire.....

ponting is overall a beter role model because of how he managed to change his life after being one of the bad boys of world cricket, now hes captain and i believe a better batsman than waugh.

i cant stand brett lee though, he can bowl fast but with no accuracy or maturity, and i dont like the look of this clarke guy their trying to usher into the australian team, hes hardly done anything comapred with brad hodge.........

anyway ill be relieved when steve wuaghs gone, and i just hope the selectors see sense and drop brett lee when mcgrath is back and fit again

well, I don't think many would prefer Lee over McGrath right now
I know I don't!
but Lee must be a part of the team
if he doesn't get the chance now he might never make the progress needed to become anywhere near as good as Glenn
especially since I like to think that can make the progress he needs is to improve his temper
and you need to play at the highest level to achieve that

which brings me to another point
I think the most important reason the aussies have dominated world cricket as majestically as they have these last couple of years is because of a superior attitude and temper
not only do they have great batsmen and bowlers, all of them have the right state of mind to do whatever necessary to help the team
and to me no one embodies that quite like nor is rightfully to thank for this than Steve Waugh
I think of Ponting as a better batsman
I have no idea who would be better strategically
but I think a leader such as Steve only comes along once so often

I shouldn't get started on Steve really :slant:
:heart:Steve:heart:

Did you follow it back in Border's day Slomey? He really was an incredible captain. I might be biased because I really do feel they were better cricket days. It was a real competition then.
Also you think it is our attitude which gives us that leg up? I'd almost say the opposite. We have plenty of scandals. On a per capita basis, we'd have to comparatively be spending an obscene amount of money on this sport to get us where we are.
Australia A just gave Zimbabwe a royal hiding. And they're our youngsters.
:huh:

Back
Top Bottom