Steve Waugh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do think the supremacy Australia has shown is mostly up to team mentality

Austalia A thrashing Zimbabwe of course has a lot to do with the money going into the game in Australia

to be able to create + contain (though the test vs India might be a sign that time may be a changin') a stranglehold on world cricket is impossible without having something extra than just money
I do think it's a great team mentality that makes the difference between being just good and being awesome

I probably have made this comparison a few times too many already, but still ...
in The Netherlands about 1/3 of all the sports shown on tellie is soccer (well, actually football, but still :D)
we have (arguably perhaps) some of the greatest players in the world in our national team
we still suck heaps though, because we don't seem to able to play as a team

meh

anyways, no I missed Border's days
my english probably was even worse back then so I had no clue what they were talking about on the BBC :D

Hmm. Interesting with the soccer/football. We can almost say the same here. We don't have a great number of excellent players, but nationally we should be able to do a bit better than we do. It's not always money, as in our case it has to be considered how some of the managers of certain overseas teams react to us needing our players back for national games, so we therefore can't get a good 'team'...:mad: Actually it probably isn't really the same thing as soccer/football is one of our weakest sports. We can't really seriously compete with Europe. But I digress :D

If you ever get interested enough....:hmm:....you should maybe look at what Border did back then. Pre-Border I think I was way too young to really care, not that much changed. But I saw this rise under him. He pulled something out of his arse and got our seriously shitty team playing well. Really well.
It's all perception really isn't it. I'm sure some kids now will griow up and say 'remember what Steve did for us? We were unbeatable!' blah blah. They wont remember how utterly boring the game became as a result.

People think I dont support our team and that's not true. I do, but to see India in this case play some great cricket is truly great. I'd love to see England give us a really good fight for the Ashes. I'd love NZ to give us a great One Day Series challenge so we can rib them for something other than rugby. I'd love to see teams like the Windies, Sri Lanka, S. Africa and Pakistan become opponents rather than a practice excercise.

I want, I want, I want lol...I'm rambling now :D

well, what I did read about Border I doubt that any australian cricket player will ever be regarded as highly as him
and probably rightfully so

I agree that it would be great if world cricket became more competitive again
(I think that's what it lacks more than entertainment
mainly thanks to the approach to cricket the aussies have shown draws in test cricket are happening less frequently)
I hope the test against India is a good sign

it might still take a few years before the Ashes become remotely interesting again though :slant:

Did Angela get you a Steve Waugh Medallion from the paper yesterday. It has "Pride Courage Commitment" on one side and "Never Say Die" on the other. The proceeds of it's sale go to his Foundation. It won't be of much value as far as collectibles go, but it's neat.
I was looking at the board game that is included in the pull-out supplement about SW's career.
Start:
1. placed in the Under 10's when in the Under 7's
2.school report-steve is sensitive & emotional
3.meets lynette at high school
4.drives lynette 2kms bckwards after school
5.picked in U19 Oz tour of Sri Lanka-187 off 216
6.1984 1st class debut @ the Gabba v QLD

I would love to know the story behind number 4??
driving in reverse:up:

salome, do u recall when u asked u were traveling to Oz if anyone could suggest a good game to catch while you were here? At the time I didn't know when you would be here. I looked at the schedule and suggested this one -
Aust. v India- Gabba. 18th january

Look what was in my local newspaper yesterday in the classified For Sale column...in bold type, just so i wouldn't miss it.

CRICKET TICKETS
Gabba O.D.I Aust.V India. Eastern Lower Stand, licenced area. 2nd row from fence,3 tickets$50 each.
I wanna go.!!

this has been one of the best cricket summers of recent years...and its only half over!
a great drawn test series, and an exiting first ODI game, all we need is some good form from zimmi and we'll have a great series

i'm gonna get my medalion today :)

:lol: cass! I borrowed a neighbours paper before he read it and kinda forgot to put the Steve liftout back before I returned it, but I was going to see about getting the medallion somehow and sending it with these infamous cd's I have been promising for er...months now :D

:applaud:

I think angie and I will probably end up exchanging cd's next time I make it up to Oz
then again, we're only in week 5 now :D

you should try to make it to that game at the Gabba cass :up:

Back
Top Bottom