Steve Irwin gone too far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Croc Hunter gone too far?

• Yes... this makes Michael Jackson hangin' his baby over a ledge look mild.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Eh... yea but no more than what jacko did.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Nah... he's an expert, he knew what he was doing.

Votes: 17 34.7%

• Total voters

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Stever Irwin gone too far?

So by now i'm sure most of you have seen pictures or video of the Crocodile Hunter feeding a croc with one hand while holding his 1-month old baby in the other. So what are your thoughts? Is it just as bad, or worse, than wacko jacko's baby dangling incident? or is it being blown out of proportion?

my personal opinion is that it looked bad, but this guy is one of the premiere experts on crocs and the like, and while it may have looked reckless, i doubt he would put his kid in a dangerous situation like that unless he knew he had it under control. :shrug: that's just me... what about you?

i don't know i have mixed feelings about it...sure he's an expert...but what if he'd slipped or something, or the crocodile lunged (like the tiger did at sigfried and roy)...one false move and the consequences could have been horrible. i don't think he should have done it.

ABEL said:
i don't know i have mixed feelings about it...sure he's an expert...but what if he'd slipped or something, or the crocodile lunged (like the tiger did at sigfried and roy)...one false move and the consequences could have been horrible. i don't think he should have done it.

Agreed.

Yeah I like Steve.. I think he rides the edge successfully but I dont think he should have taken a 1 month old baby into a crocodile pit with him :yikes:

Its not something I would have done...and while I agree that he does know what he's doing, it made me VERY uncomfortable when he put the baby on the ground and did the little dance with him...that croc could have turned and lunged in a split second.

bonosgirl84 said:

it only lunged at roy.

yes but the name of the show is "sigfried and roy". i meant like the tiger did at the sigfried and roy show.

I've always presented this to my kids as the "What if" syndrome....

I've never been one to take chances; Steve takes a chance in doing what he's doing; so far so good but "what if"...... :|

I agree with ABEL on this one too. I just don't understand the point of putting your baby in this bizzare situation.:coocoo:

I'd never put a one month old baby in this situation, nor would anyone I know. I don't care if he's an expert - wild animals are unpredictable, and you can never tell how they will react. It's reckless behaviour, and no better than what Jacko did, except that Irwin gets the benefit of the doubt since he's not, well, a lunatic.

I think the guy's whacked anyway. It's only a matter of time before he gets eaten by something.

What he did was very dangerous but it's still wrong even if you put that aspect of it aside because he was using his one-month old baby for a publicity stunt and that ain't right.

i don't think this is any worse than the michael jackson incident because in both cases the fathers knew what they were doing but still could've had their kids killed.

animals are dangerous creatures; just because steve knows them and can work safely with them doesn't mean the same thing applies to his one month old baby. given that he was dangling him about like a doll or something, the croc could've thought it was lunch or something.

regardless, at any given moment the crocodile could've lunged at the baby. one incident that comes to mind was this guy that would go up and hug bears and stuff, bears in the wild. all went fine without incident but because he never acted like they could kill him and didn't respect that, one time him and his girlfriend were camping and a wild bear attacked him. another bear ran after his girlfriend who was trying to run to their car. both were killed and it wasn't even necessary. i'm sure if he'd left the bears alone they'd both be alive today. steve should be lucky that nothing bad happened and never do this again, not until that kid is an adult and has decided to follow in daddy's footsteps.

We seem to have a real problem with this kind of thing because it is out of the ordinary and very real and apparent danger. Yet with more unknown risks, we are comfortable. We play an odds game. We put ourselves and our kids in willing and knowing danger all the time, yet its funny what we pick out as foolhardy.

Crikey! He actually had another kid. I was surprised he managed to have one, considering how many times he's been hit down under. :huh:

He had pictures of the first one and a boa constrictor too, she's managed to survive into childhood, so I guess he's doing ok. :shrug:

Angela Harlem said:
We put ourselves and our kids in willing and knowing danger all the time, yet its funny what we pick out as foolhardy.
yeah, I don't think chances of anything happening here are larger than the chance of a child falling down some stairs etc etc

Steve is a weirdo, but he seems to know what he's doing

the tiger didn't lunge at roy... the tiger dragged roy to safety because it thought roy was in danger. even sigfried has said that... if that tiger wanted to harm roy, he'd be dead right now.

steve irwin's a professional... no one knows those animals better than he does. it looks worse than it really was... IMO

michael jackson isn't a professional baby hung over the railing-er :scratch: just a professional boy toucher

Last edited:
No - he has long-time experience with crocodiles and had everything under control IMO. (of course, "don't try this at home" rule applies)

On the other hand, if you (the unqailified everyday person) try to hug or mess with a wild animal in some way in the wild (or even the zoo), don't be surprised if it gets dangerous.

i just watched the video and i felt sick just watching him put the baby down while the crocodile looked on. i dont think he should have taken the baby in there.

Steve has responded to this by saying his children will be growing up at the Zoo, so he thinks he was only starting young Bob on his path to being able to live safely with the creatures.
I don't think I agree with you there Steve.
That situation was too dangerous, just one slip in that wet area could have meant tiny fragile Bob could have been injured, if not by the croc then by being dropped or fallen upon. I was disturbed by the lack of support for Bob's neck too. Babies are relatively tough ( thank goodness) but he didn't seem to be given much regard by his dad at that moment. Steve was showing-off, using his son as a prop:down: I was going to say it was a spur of the moment thing...but it wasn't. Mrs steve was waiting in the wings with Bob ready to hand him to his dad. Obviously , steve is a very experienced animal handler and he knew that croc could be trusted more than others. I don't really know what age would be appropriate for children to begin working/performing in a place lie that.
They said on the news he is still up for nomination as "Australian of the Year"...don't suppose he's up for the "Father of the Year"

Are we "down-unders" or "down-underers"
lol...oh gosh I hope that one doesn't catch on.

Mr. BAW said:
Are all the "down-unders" lunatics or just the celebrities?????? :confused: :) :wave:

Celebrities - plural? You think we have more than one weirdo celebrity here? I dont know who is famous internationally.
Kylie - shes just annoying.
Nicole Kidman - ditto
Elle MacPherson - who cares

Thats about it really isnt it? Oh, maybe Savage Farting? And Steve so that makes one weirdo in 5. So on the basis of my dodgy analysis I would say that MORE of the general population of Australia are weirdos then just the celebrities. :wink:

Last edited:
While any of us who are not comfortable with crocs or many wild animals would all agree its a situation you dont take a risk with, I'd guess if that croc was going to lunge and attack, he would have instantly put himself between the croc and his son. He couldn't really ever do much to stop a wild animal attacking, but he could stop his son being the victim.

He says he wants Bob to get acquainted with living with animals.

Too bad he's a little rusty on child psychology. A one month old child has no critical thinking processes, and therefore has learned nothing here. It was a frivolous publicity stunt, not some sort of educational experience.

Back
Top Bottom