Stereophonics: Sweet Opener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baker6621

War Child
I didn't expect much of this opener, I heard some people say that they had heard this band wasn't very good. Hah, they were PERFECT! Great band, really.

Even though I didn't know anything about them - or any of their songs - they really told me that there are many great bands out there that I know nothing about. Because this band is good. Do yourself a favor and download one of my favorite tracks:

"Have a Nice Day"

and "1000 Trees"

Any other Stereophonics fans? Or what do you think of them? Their drummer is sooo funny, I've never seen expressions like that. Their singer (jones) seems like a cool guy.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Godammit! This is the second good thread of yours i've been compelled to reply to. If you keep this up, you're gonna get kicked outta here for making too much sense! Possibly.

I take it that you saw Stereophonics support U2 in the US? I only thought they were supporting for the European leg, but i guess not. If you don't know much about them, they are a great 3-piece from Wales who have just released their 3rd album. I've got all 3; they are all worth a listen, but their first, Word Gets Around (1997) is IMO their best so far. A really bright, vibrant, riff-heavy, melody-packed debut album. 1000 trees is on it, but is bettered by several tracks if you ask me. I recommend it. Their drummer HAS got a daft hairdo, and i've read they were influenced by the likes of AC/DC.

Need more info, just ask. mysprit.

Garbage is better. Really. Garbage is so energetic and has a great vibrant, lively sound. I was singing "Go baby go" to myself before U2 came on and it made time pass so fast. I've had enough grungy britrock.

But then that's just my opinion.

Hey MS: Thanks for the reply! Yes, Stereophonics opened for U2 at MSG and will do three or four more before the tour ends!

Thanks for the reccommendation, I'm going to buy that album now. Whats your favorite song on it? I really like these guys. It was cool, they held up a flag from Wales and the U.S.! Also, their singer was like "I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they wake up in the morning thats the best they feel all day".
smile.gif
. Thought that was funny.

So, I've been downloading lots of songs recently. I'm really getting into them...I should've bought their shirt at the shows! Also, their website says they will be toruing in the U.S. in march.

Great band. I have the three records like mysteriousspirit. Would recommend the second 'Performance & Cocktails' - favourite song 'Pick a Part That's New'.

I agree that the debut is their best. The latest record I found a bit disappointing in terms of lyrics but there's still some great melodies and a solid rock'n'roll sound.

Oh wow!!! I am soooooo green of envy baker! You lucky duck!
smile.gif

Glad u liked them! I only have their last album, I bought it after I saw them live! Masterpiece!
wink.gif

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

***Sparky's Whore***

If I Didn't Have My Spoons, I'd Go Insane!

No problemo baker. Word Gets Around has come to be an extremely important record to me. I think lyrically it is more personal and observant of everyday life than its two successors. My favourite tracks would probably be Local Boy In The Photograph(very poignant song), Traffic(great words), Not Up To You and Same Size Feet. Tho i can honestly say that there isn't one track that i dislike.

Performance & Cocktails seems to sound a lot more radio-friendly to me (i think they released 5/6 singles from it). Its a good album, but doesn't have the wit or perfect precise lyrics of WGA. Favourite tracks are probably Just Looking and She Takes Her Clothes Off.

In interview they're a very laid back group with a dry sense of humour. Singer Kelly Jones describes himself as 'the moodiest fucker i know'! Draw your own conclusions!
Good band and self-deprecating to boot. Like U2!

I thought these guys were great--and I loved the drummer--like a modern day Keith Moon. Bless him...

------------------
And if you dance then dance with me...

Back
Top Bottom