stepford wives - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:05 AM
stepford wives

The best words to decribe this movie is "Dark Commedy, bright horror." I will admit that at first I didn't know what to expect but the concept of possibly changing your spose for the better against his/her own will creeped me out. I call it a horror 'cause these "wives" creeped me out with their smiles from ear to ear and their constant bright colors and cheeriness.

I like Nichole Kidman but her performance in the movie really annoyed me. I am not sure if her character was supposed to be that annoying in her mannerism or if she is just a bad actress. Either way, I couldn't stand watching her.

Matthew Brodrick (sp?) annoyed me as well with his acting. Sure he is cute but the dude can't act.

Christopher Walken is a sexy bitch and my favorite eye candy. It wasn't much of an acting stretch for Chris but he wasn't an annoying actor.

Faith Hill didn't have much of a role but she was great eye candy.

Bette Midler's character cracked me up and reminded me of myself most of the time. Her acting was better than everyone else's and she fit the role just perfectly.

The cinamatography was awesome and the bright colors really set that creepy tone.

Costume and make-up were really good and I have never seen so many bright colors before. The array of all the girls in their bright dresses at the picnic scene made me want to attend an old fashion 4th of July picnic (even though I am Canadian).

The ending kinda sucked but then again, I didn't expect much considering the theme and the direction the movie was going in.

The story line in general was good and there was a moral of the story. Not worth the full theatre price but a good stay at home movie when it comes out on Video.

Old 06-14-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:05 AM
I really enjoyed this despite myself, for a summer movie. A great alternative for theatre goers (like me) who don't watch all the franchises or hyped films.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:55 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:05 AM
lol @Chris Walken is a sexy bitch..he scares me

I thought the whole thing was supposed to be over the top, so maybe that explains Nicole's performance. There were many funny lines (I though Bette Midler stole the movie, Glenn Close probably had the best performance). I know Broderick was supposed to be "boring" but

Maybe that's why SJP does everything for him-he just doesn't have the energy..

The original came out I think in 1975. I think that was more of a horror movie than a dark comedy.

I loved the references to Orlando Bloom and Viggo
Old 06-14-2004, 05:03 PM   #4
Refugee

references to orlando and viggo? Do tell! I'm a Viggo maniac and my best friend is madly in love with Orlando.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

One of the Stepford wives is a gay man, and when they stepfordize him, they get rid of his Orlando photo and Viggo t-shirt
Old 06-14-2004, 06:10 PM   #6
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:05 AM
I want to see this. I just re-watched all the originals and they just made me
Old 06-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Maybe that's why SJP does everything for him-he just doesn't have the energy..
She does? He must have some sort of energy being on Broadway and all.

I admit, his character was very lowkey and dull - but I think that was a big point - he was the less dominant person in the marriage and always felt small compared to Nicole's character. So, that's why he found kinship with "The Men's Club" because they all felt "small" next to their wives. I believe his character was supposed to be a mousy, whiney and quiet man.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sounds like it might be kind of good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everyone. I hesitate to see it, cause I don't go to that many movies, I'm very choosy. And I appreciate hearing things about it aside from "I hate it" or "I love it".
Old 06-15-2004, 08:01 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

On 60 Minutes a couple of weeks ago, SJP talked about how she does everything for him..I can't remember exactly what she said

I guess in the original, the men were far more mean and nasty than in the remake. That's what I get from the reviews anyway..

The original was based on a book. I think the concept is still relevant today
Old 06-15-2004, 11:09 AM   #10
Refugee

The only reason anyone would like this movie: Bette Midler and Jon Lovitz. Their performances were hilarious, when everyone else seemed to either be posing as an actor (Nicole Kidman, Matthew Brodrick), or posing as their movie persona (Christopher Walken). I think Nicole is beautiful, but this movie was so predictable and therefore BORING!

It was, however, kinda funny at moments; usually when Midler was on screen, and it reminded most people (hopefully) of how current women are voluntarily stupifying themselves for men, even after all that women's liberation that went down in the 1960's and 1970's. In the movie you're witness to deceptive means of brainwashing, but in real life it seems that alot of women do this all by themselves in the hopes of being comfortable and secure. Blah!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 09:05 AM
MrsSpringsteen
I am glad that you found the sexy bitch part funny but it is the scariness that is so attractive.

Danospano
I agree about the John L part...he was funny to
Old 06-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
and it reminded most people (hopefully) of how current women are voluntarily stupifying themselves for men, even after all that women's liberation that went down in the 1960's and 1970's.

And who are you basing this off of? Women on reality television? They are playing a part to make for higher ratings. Most women I know don't really care what men think of them - they are just trying to have a great career - myself included.

If you are referring to girls who dress provocatively (as influenced by Britney Spears), girls have always done that to get societal attention. And many times, it is to impress and annoy other women, not just boys.

If you are going to make a blanket statement about "current women" - you might want to qualify it by naming a valid example, especially since so many non-stupifying women are part of Interference and might take offense to your comments.