Stealing Your Parent's Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never really stole any of my parents' albums, but I still have most of my Grandad's cassettes of The Shadows.

I don't think there was any "stealing". especially if the album is by Trini Lopez :lmao:

\showing my age, or rather my parents' age :grumpy:

I grew up on Bryan Adams' Wakin up the Neighbors, The Bob Seger Collection and a healthy mix of Jimmy Barnes and Cold Chisel. :wink:

There was no Wiggles for me, oh no. It was Khe Sahn or nothing.

I borrowed from my parents:

Deja Vu - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra

I stole from my brother:

Frampton Comes Alive - Peter Frampton
Destroyer - Kiss

It was the other way around in my family. My sister's Nirvana tapes kept migrating from her car to mom's :lol: And then mom got into Beck, and it was just all downhill from there. Sometimes I think my mom is cooler than me :eyebrow:

The last album i took off my mother was a David Bowies greatest hits

And after i slagged him off just to piss her off, i was very very wrong

David Bowie :heart:

I was 11, I think, and was browsing my parents' CD collection, which was mostly classical stuff.

I stumbled on The Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions and listened to it for weeks. It took me months to move beyond a couple of songs, but each new track was like a puzzle which required weeks to find the hook.

I guess I just didn't have a lot of exposure to popular music back then. New Amsterdam still hearkens back to that feeling of discovery.

I was really young, and I used to spend many a night listening to my dad's album collection. Let It Bleed by the Stones was the first one I really remember. :drool: I also remember being fascinated by the Fleetwood Mac album covers and loving Stevie Nicks' voice.

When I found out a few years ago that he got rid of all of them I was extremely dissappointed. I would have liked to have inherited them all.

The Beatles 1963-1966 - The Red Album
The Beatles 1967-1970 - The Blue Album

Those two taught me all i needed to know about good music when i was growing up.

Cheers dad :up:

My mom had fabulous taste in music, so I was always borrowing her records when I was young. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin, The Doors, Bob Dylan, etc.

I remember being ten years old and stealing all of my dad's Pink Floyd / Queen cassettes while he was at work. I don't know why, but I was terribly embarrassed to be listening to them at the time. I was terrifed that he (or anyone else, for that matter) would find out that I was listening to his tapes. At that age, everyone else was listening to Aqua and all that, so I thought I was being abnormal. Then I got older and realised my father's musical taste wasn't all that un-cool after all.

I can still vividly remember doing tennis racquet guitar solos to 'Killer Queen' and 'Another Brick In The Wall.' I used to close my door, stand in front of my mirror and pretend I was playing along to the songs. :lol:

Canadiens1160 said:
I was 11, I think, and was browsing my parents' CD collection, which was mostly classical stuff.

I stumbled on The Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions and listened to it for weeks. It took me months to move beyond a couple of songs, but each new track was like a puzzle which required weeks to find the hook.

I guess I just didn't have a lot of exposure to popular music back then. New Amsterdam still hearkens back to that feeling of discovery.

:heart:

The Wall with my dad when I was 9 or 10...greatest music memory either...I definitely used to listen to that album with him all the time. I forgot how much I loved it until last Friday when I watched The Wall again...it's been so long since i heard the album, and now I NEED to buy it. It was the first real full album I can ever really remember falling in love with, and knowing the lyrics to every song on. I'm positive it also has EVERYTHING to do with why I will always love music from that era more than anything else that's on the radio/has ever been on the radio, in all the times I was growing up or today. Hearing it again for the first time in nearly ten years last Friday was one of the greatest musical experiences of my life.

But the only album of his I've ever made off with without his knowing was a Gordon Lightfoot Greatest Hits CD :reject:

elevated_u2_fan said:
Sgt Peppers for the first time on Vinyl :drool:

Me too! I didn't have to steal it though. Dad gave it to me to listen to thinking I might like it. After that, every time Dad took me to the record store I'd ask him to buy me another Beatles' album.

the last albums i stole from my parents were zenyatta mondatta and ghost in the machine by the police. i purposely bought all those records but those. i have them all on cd, though.

i've also "borrowed" led zeppelin, david bowie, elton john, i can't think of what else.

i've raided their 7"s too and i found some roxy music, human league, and odd things like that i wasn't expecting to find.

I couldn't get into the Mormon Tabernacle Choir so there was no stealing from my mom.

However, Dad turned me on to Beethoven and Woody Guthrie.

^ :lol: Erm...yeah, that was about the level of timeliness my parents were at too. No Beethoven or Guthrie and most definitely not the MTC, but my Dad had a pretty big collection of Delta blues that we used to like to listen to...Mississippi John Hurt, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, Robert Wilkins, stuff like that. Then my mother had a much smaller collection of rembetika (Greco-Turkish hashish den "blues") 78s, which were actually our only "heirloom" possession. That stuff I thought was just weird when I was a kid, I love it now though. As far as "classic rock", that I only discovered through friends with younger parents or much older siblings.

elevated_u2_fan said:

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald ftw :drool:

My dad had the 45 of that, I swiped it often. In the sleeve was also hand-written lyrics that my dad had transcribed while listening.

Back
Top Bottom