"Stay," "Sinatra" time signatures, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr. zooeuss

War Child
this question has been rattling around in the back of my mind for years now, but i've never gotten around to asking, or figuring out the answer...

as most of us probably know by now, the working title of Stay was Sinatra- he's attributed the inspiration for the concept, and maybe even the time signature.

my question: what is the time signature of Stay, and how much of Sinatra's music used the same signature?

corianderstem said:
I think Stay is just in basic 4/4 time. :shrug:

hey Stem,

thanks, hmm, well, if that's the case, why does it sound so different from most rock songs– the syncopation? is that a completely different category from time signature?

hope we have a jazz percussionist or two 'round here...

;-)

Yeah, the main little guitar riff is a little syncopated, but if you're tapping your foot to it, the main beat is 4/4. I don't think there's anything out of the ordinary regarding the beat and rhythm of the song.

As far as Sinatra stuff, you're talking about old standards, and for the most part those are going to be in your standard 4/4 or maybe 3/4 time signatures, or 6/8 or what have you.

I don't think when Bono talked about writing songs for Sinatra he was talking about writing something in some jazzy time signature. I think he was aiming for something akin to an old standard - a torch song, or just something he could hear Sinatra singing in the lyrics, the emotion, the overall feel of the song.

That's my take, anyway.

corianderstem said:

I don't think when Bono talked about writing songs for Sinatra he was talking about writing something in some jazzy time signature. I think he was aiming for something akin to an old standard - a torch song, or just something he could hear Sinatra singing in the lyrics, the emotion, the overall feel of the song.

That's my take, anyway.

Thanks! I hear you. :wink:

Will be interesting to hear what others have to say as well.

I agree with cori. It's your standard 4/4 time sig. Not even really that much syncopation, but it does have a kind of gentle swing to it. It's more of the vibe that's Sinatra-ish than any specific musical aspect.

Yup, it's 4/4.

The E chord at the start of the riff is 2/3rds of a triplet that carries over to the next bar.
---3---
E-E-8-W-W-E

Eighth-note, eighth-note, eighth-rest, whole-note, whole-note, eighth-note.

okay, thanks. i guess i was under the impression that a syncopation would affect the time signature, coming to realize that's not accurate.

Back
Top Bottom