Stay safe tonight...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is rediculous. for the life of me i do not understand why idiot fans, be it in boston, chicago, LA or at your local college campus, feel the need to riot in the streets after a big sports victory. yes, the cops are taking full responsibility for this girl's tragic death. and they should. but if the police felt the need to fire gas into the crowd (which is obvious what happened here... it's standard riot control procedure) that there was an out of control crowd "celebrating" a victory. i just don't get it. such a shame. :tsk:

One word: C2H5OH.

I hope that awareness of this tragedy will prevent a larger one from occurring after the Series.

i read that.

:down:

rioting after sporting events is stupid. i still wonder how many people at my school were arressted last night. they had helicopters flying around. i shit you not.

The amazing thing about this is Mayor Mumbles Menino's plan to prevent this type action for the World Series is twofold:
1. Have the local bars around Fenway not show the games live on TV
2. Have the local bars around Fenwaynot serve alcohol during the World Series

This guy is just clueless.

As for the poor girl, she was apparently just hanging out by a sausage cart, and after police had an altercation with some other unruly fan they started shooting the pepper balls. She was just in the wrong place.

The rioting (which I believe dates back to Detroit 1984) is the most ludicrous thing(and Headache I noticed you avoided including NYC in your list :wink: ) why people think destruction is a proper form of celebration is beyond me.

Hewson said:

The rioting (which I believe dates back to Detroit 1984) is the most ludicrous thing(and Headache I noticed you avoided including NYC in your list :wink: ) why people think destruction is a proper form of celebration is beyond me.

Agreed! But it makes me wonder. Are the ones doing the destruction actually Sox fans? Maybe there were disgruntled Yankee fans mixed in the crowd. Because it's beyond comprehension to me how an overjoyed Sox fan would turn to violence in jubilation. But then again, like the saying goes, there's an asshole in every crowd and in this case, many of them.
And about Menino, I saw that on the new also. That would only hurt the buisnesses in the area and does nothing to ensure a non rowdy crowd.

Hewson said:
(and Headache I noticed you avoided including NYC in your list :wink: )

yea i did because it really just doesn't happen in new york. :shrug: it's not because new yorkers are more behaved or more civil, it's because boston's really nothing more than a gigantic college town. this stuff happens, at least in america (let's not even discuss europe's soccer "problems"), in cities that either have a large population of college students... i.e. boston, columbus... and/or are riddled with crime... i.e. detroit, LA.

when the rangers won the stanley cup after 54 years of futility, a lot of people hit the streets, and there were a few garbage cans and phone booths knocked over in the immediate vicinity of the garden, but nothing that could be deemed as outright rioting in the streets. 40 year old businessmen don't riot... 20 year old college kids riot.

Headache is correct about what happened when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup and when the Yankees have won. New York doesn't have much in the way of civil disobedience when teams win.

I don't know why that is, but it's one of the many reasons I'm proud to live in the NYC area.

Diane L said:
Headache is correct about what happened when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup and when the Yankees have won. New York doesn't have much in the way of civil disobedience when teams win.

I thought rioting fell in the category of uncivil disobedience.

Back
Top Bottom