STAT: What do you know about football? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2002, 05:30 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Re: Re: YOU MEAN THERE'S MORE?

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba

What game are you watching? Who are you pulling for?

By the way, "red shirt" is also a term in college football. A student-athlete can go to school for 5 years but can only PLAY for 4 years. If he chooses to defer his freshman year and start playing his second year, he's called a "redshirted freshman."
I'm goin (With a boy o_O) to the first home game.....or something like that

UMD Terps

The school colour is red and Ididn't think I owned red. I found this red tanktop that's like 3 years old though. good enough

Old 09-07-2002, 05:39 PM   #17
Refugee

Sounds like fun! One of the new grad students here at Carnegie Mellon's from Maryland, I believe.

(CMU is NO Auburn. <sigh>)

Things you *might* want to get / do:

- You might want to buy a shaker (to cheer with) or a shirt on the way (is the stadium on-campus? is it near a bookstore?) or in the stadium.

- You might want to get there early enough to get concessions before kickoff - and to see the pomp and circumstance of marching bands, the national anthem, etc.

- Depending on where you're sitting (and whether you have them), binoculars might not be a bad idea.

Either way, I hope you have a REALLY good time.

Bubba

Old 09-07-2002, 06:01 PM   #18
Refugee

Frightening facts about Bubba:

- First word he ever spelled? AUBURN.

- Picture he used for his senior year baby photo (for senior year)? A picture of a two-year-old Bubba with Aubie, the mascot tiger.

- First time he swore in front of his mother? At an Auburn game - and the referee's parents probably weren't married.

My typical game-day gear includes the following:

- An Auburn tee-shirt.
- Binoculars.
- Headphones to listen to the radio commentary.
- Stickers / buttons from each bookstore that day.
- My lucky orange-and-blue shakers for the season.

At the freshman orienation weekend, the summer before my freshman year, other incoming freshman confused me for a current student: I knew the campus, cheers, and fight songs THAT well.

I had always known Auburn's fight song (and my mom, another fanatical Auburn alum, even let me cheer the "give 'em hell" when I was a toddler). But I SOMEHOW knew the alma mater when senior year rolled around: I never actually got around to learning it, but I knew it - almost instinctively.

As a graduation present, my mom bought me a stadium brick: they had renovated the athletes' entrance, adding a brick entrance-way, and people could "buy" a brick and have their name engraved on it. On a brick there you will find the following:

BUBBA xxxxxxx
CLASS OF 2001

(You'll have to go there to find out my last name. )

Finally, the best day of my life, thus far, has been November 18, 2000.

My senior year, Auburn played Alabama in Tuscaloosa (Bama's home campus) for the first time in about a century - and we beat them 9-0.

Before the game, I took a cute, sweet girl from my dorm to the Mellow Mushroom for lunch. We watched the game with twenty other guys in the dorm lobby, and we then rolled Toomer's Corner with toilet paper (an Auburn tradition) in the cold, drizzly rain. We then had dinner and went to a movie, and I asked her out: SHE SAID YES.

(On a scale of 1 to 10, beating Bama's an 11. She saying "yes" would have made it a 15 on its own. Together, it was like a 10,000.)

We've been going out ever since, and the love of my life and I hope to marry after she's done with vet school (c. 2007). We'll actually probably get married at the Auburn University chapel - and she's promised that I can brainwash at least one of our children to be another fanatical Tiger fan.

(As if I won't brainwash them all... Heh, heh, heh.)

(She's not a football fanatic yet, but there's time yet.)

It's GREAT that I've found such a sweet, beautiful, sexy, Christian girl to love the rest of my life - a girl that likes Star Wars just as much as me. The fact that she's an AUBURN GIRL too is nearly too much for me to handle.

Oh, and Auburn leads in the 2nd quarter, 21-0.
Old 09-07-2002, 06:04 PM   #19
Refugee

28-0, 7:38 in the 2nd.

Old 09-07-2002, 07:25 PM   #20
Refugee

Miami's beating Florida, 20-10.

Oklahoma overcame some good special teams plays from Bama, beating them 37-27 - doing so with two touchdowns in the closing minutes of the game.

Auburn has just scored again, closing the 3rd quarter, 49-0.

Damn straight, today is a good day.

Bubba
Old 09-07-2002, 09:54 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

OK it went well.

HE ACTUALLY SAID

"You seem like you know what's going on. Usually girls are like poking me the whole time asking WHAT DOES THAAAT MEEEAANN?"

Tanks
Old 09-08-2002, 01:00 AM   #22
Refugee

No problem whatsoever - and I'm glad you had a good time.

Bubba
Old 09-10-2002, 06:30 AM   #23
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:22 PM

Is this game really played on astro turf?
Old 09-10-2002, 12:23 PM   #24
Refugee

Sometimes: while the vast majority of football fields - high school, college, and pro - are natural grass, there are quite a few stadiums (most notably domed stadiums) that use artificial turf.

(I realize the plural of "stadium" is "stadia," but that looks awkward.)

A little history lesson: at one time, artificial turf was all the rage for college football teams, but one of Auburn's greatest head coaches - Ralph "Shug" Jordan - resisted. Between the fact that Auburn dared to play on grass and the fact that we have a School of Veterinary Medicine (the best in the South), we were derided for being a "cow college."

And yet...

Artificial turf didn't live up to its expectations. College football, a sport far more steeped in tradition than professional football*, didn't feel right being played on anything other than natural grass. MORE IMPORTANTLY, the hard, unforgiving surface led to more injuries. Eventually, most colleges returned to natural grass, confirming the wisdom of Shug.

As a side note, all/most Southeastern Conference (SEC) teams have natural-grass stadiums and play most of their games on natural grass. However, the SEC Championship game continues to be played on the artificial turf of Atlanta's Georgia Dome. Generally speaking, the game plays differently on artificial turf - it allows for faster running and more tightly controlled routes.

It's like playing all of the US Open on one surface, then playing the championship on another. My suggestion is that the SEC Championship game be played at the home stadium of one of the two teams - either alternating between the two divisions or allowing the team with the best record have the home-field advantage.

Atlanta and the SEC itself gets too much money from the Championship game for this to happen, but it still makes more sense.

Bubba

* I can imagine that a few NFL fans are miffed at my assertion that college ball has more traditions, but I stand by it, for a variety of reasons:

1. College football has been around longer.

2. Your college team never abandons you for another city (e.g., Cleveland).

3. As a quick example, Auburn begins and ends its gameday with a collective tradition. I'll let the official site speak for me:

Tiger Walk
An Auburn tradition which began in the early 1960s when Auburn players would walk from Sewell Hall to the football stadium and fans would line Donahue Drive to wish them well. Over the years the Tiger Walk has grown into a major part of game day at Auburn, so much so that it is listed on the players’ game weekend itinerary. The largest Tiger Walk is believed to have taken place prior to the 1989 Alabama game when more than 20,000 well wishers lined the street. Every Tiger Walk prior to home games draws thousands and over the last couple of years the Tiger Walk has become a standard as Auburn football players enter stadiums on the road. Tiger Walk is two hours before kickoff for every game.

Toomer’s Corner
The center of town, where the Auburn University campus meets the City of Auburn. Toomer’s Corner, where College Street intersects Magnolia Avenue, has long been the gathering place for Auburn athletic celebrations. After any football win, and significant victories in other sports, Auburn students and citizens alike join forces to “roll” the trees (and anything else that doesn’t move) at Toomer’s Corner with toilet tissue. Celebrations after significant football victories can go on for hours and leave the heart of town looking like a blizzard passed through.

As far as I know, even the Greats of the NFL - Green Bay, Chicago, Washington, Dallas, and San Francisco - don't have anything like Auburn's traditions.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:47 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba

...As far as I know, even the Greats of the NFL - Green Bay, Chicago, Washington, Dallas, and San Francisco - don't have anything like Auburn's traditions.
I believe you're right....Even though every person in my parents' generation knows all the words to Bear Down, Chicago Bears. It's almost frightening....

Anyway, speaking of the Beloved, they are playing at my alma mater's stadium this year, University of Illinois. The turf at U of I is called Astro play. it's not too bad, it's simulated grass. It's much better than the green astro turf carpet we've had for years...